Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1960? trans help
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bigtim9339
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:45 pm    Post subject: 1960? trans help Reply with quote

hiya folks, I know I'm re-hashing some old threads but I've scoured through hundreds of posts and just managed to confuse myself so I'm gonna try to add a few pictures and ask a few questions.

I have a chassis that is stamped 2718538. if i got the chart right this makes it a 60 that was produced in Oct 58?

in looking up stuff i find all types of references to a 17mm hexhead bolt to check fluid and fill. i dont have one of these. i have two large bolts on left side below centerline and a single large bolt on right side which sits around centerline. which would be the correct one for checking fluid level and filling? i have been able to find nothing on the split cases in this regards. maybe i just got frustrated and quit a page to early...

once i realised i had a less appealing split case i started looking into replacing it with a tunnel type from a later 60s trans and saw that you could use a bus nosecone and hockey stick for up to 59 and some early 60s otherwise the mount needs to change. what i have on my car doesnt really look like anything i found so i got twisted up. so the question, based on the pictures what do i have and what could i use?

all the axle boots i can find are for 61 and up. nothing listed for a 60. will the 61 ones work? if not what do i use?

to clarify i am restoring a dune buggy that has been sitting in a carport for near 20 years. i can only assume the trans is good. i believe it isnt ideal for a dune buggy but i dont know. im kinda new to this and have jumped in head first. the electrical appears to be upgraded to 12v although i cant see any obvious grinding of the trans. but i dont really have anything to compare it to.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

FritzCP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960? trans help Reply with quote

you have the 60 only trans mount. NOS mounts are in the classifieds. search classifies for a good pic of the mount itself.

the trans fill plug is on the right at centerline. its a 17mm hex bolt vs the later alan screw type.
Fritz 70 - 6306 Bearing Puller
Fritz 44 - Dizzy Puller
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
JoelH
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:19 am    Post subject: Re: 1960? trans help Reply with quote

you probably don't want to use that transmission for your dune buggy, but that's up to you. I wouldn't anyhow. However, that tranny is desirable to those those are restoring their cars and want a period correct tranny. Is the engine a 36 hp from 1960 as well? If so, possibly consider selling as a pair?

A tunnel style tranny from 1968 would be the one you should be looking for. That is 12v from the factory. If you can't find one, any other tranny will work, you'll just need to clearance the bellhousing to fit up a 12v clutch and flywheel.

'60 DD SWR Panel
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=2522353#2522353

'62 Gulf Blue Ragtop Bug
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=420720&highlight=

'60 Black RHD Beetle
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6478591#6478591

1965 Sea Sand L568 Notchback
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8307805#8307805
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: