Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Dual vs single carburation.
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ramseyj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:45 am    Post subject: Dual vs single carburation. Reply with quote

Ok here is my question. I have duel weber 48 on a 2332. I have been thinking about going to a single carb for Simplicity. Dose anyone have any recommendations.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Dual vs single carburation. Reply with quote

NO, don't do that! I know a single carb may be preferred on Off-Road machines due to dirt and perhaps just ad intake's to the dual to get them breathing somewhere in a better location. But really IT makes a nicer simpler better running setup with duals. Opens up things you can get to things easily no Pre-Heat needed either.
L5wolvesf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Dual vs single carburation. Reply with quote

Ramseyj wrote:
Ok here is my question. I have duel weber 48 on a 2332. I have been thinking about going to a single carb for Simplicity. Dose anyone have any recommendations.

What isn't simple about the dual carbs?

SNORE # 1196 sponsored by:
- www.356carburetorrescue.com/home.html
- Barnwerks Fabrication & Welding
- ArtSpeed Graphics

“Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.”
S. McQueen
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Dual vs single carburation. Reply with quote

What do you use the car for?
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ramseyj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: Dual vs single carburation. Reply with quote

The buggy is off road and it manly in the mud and sand. Duel cards are easy, just thinking andoyt simplicity on the trail.
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: Dual vs single carburation. Reply with quote

What someone once told me, dual 2 barrel carbs on a VW motor is like tuning 4 Briggs & Stratton motors on single crankshaft.... You just tune one cylinder at a time (once you get idle speed screws set)...

Really... A lot of people go through a lot of processes of using snail or manometer or what ever to tune, but if you really understand how to tune the carbs you can do it with nothing more than a screw driver and your brain (ears)... Maybe not the best tune but it will "RUN"...

Your issue may be the 48's, IDF or IDA just may be to big... I had a borrowed set of 48 IDF's on a 2180 and it ran good, but owner wanted them back so I moved a set of 44 IDF's off another engine to the 2180 and retuned them (the 48's) and car actually ran better....

What 48's do you have (IDF or IDA) and what is your reason for wanting to remove them.... It all may be tuning issues you are not aware of as to why you are displeased with them...

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...

Last edited by Dale M. on Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:23 am; edited 1 time in total
Stormin189
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Dual vs single carburation. Reply with quote

Your going to have a hard time getting one carb to run that big of a motor, I could see one running it as long as your cam isn't to wild. We got my friends 2110 to run on one 44IDF but he has a angle 100 cam, and stock valves in the head. It's super torque y on the bottom end but it won't rev past 4000 rpm.
Bashr52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:07 am    Post subject: Re: Dual vs single carburation. Reply with quote

Or, I have a set of 44 IDF's that I could swap you for your 48's Laughing
Krochus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Dual vs single carburation. Reply with quote

Single carb for the win. With a turbo below it.

Turbocharging an open engine VW is so redonkolusly easy it blows my mind more aren’t boosted
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Dual vs single carburation. Reply with quote

Krochus wrote:

Turbocharging an open engine VW is so redonkolusly easy it blows my mind more aren’t boosted

But it scares the hell out of people who can not even tune a B&S lawnmower motor (X4)...

Dale

All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
Krochus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:47 am    Post subject: Re: Dual vs single carburation. Reply with quote

Dale M. wrote:
Krochus wrote:

But it scares the hell out of people who can not even tune a B&S lawnmower motor (X4)...

Dale

That’s just it. It’s a heck of a lot easier to tune than dual carbs ESPECIALLY dual single Venturi

Carb, turbo & wideband

No manometer, no snail, no constant linkage hanky panky and no Jets so small a grain of salt can plug them

Just glorious torque like an NA bug motor will never have that will behave like a stock motor driving normally
Mal evolent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Dual vs single carburation. Reply with quote

Quote:

New Mexico has 600 grit air. what are called boulders elsewhere are called gravel here. Investing in a turbo would be like investing in a Trabant dealership in Beverly Hills

Baja Bugs for Volkswagen Virgins: Index
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Dual vs single carburation. Reply with quote

Not to mention the increase in grief to the gearbox. Not such an issue in sand dunes, though it just might be an issue in mud depending on the nature of the mud you play in.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
mr_bill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Dual vs single carburation. Reply with quote

ZENITH 32NDIX, the preferred off-road race-car carb of the '70-'80's

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

"Mr Bill"
Dos Perros Motorsports
Orange, CA
1972 Class 11x/Stock Bug
'60's era "vintage" Tunnell-Buggy

"...no one here....get's out ALIVE...."

Motor = electric
Engine = internal combustion

www.facebook.com/groups/DosPerrosMotorsports
www.alrchapter132.org
www.DAV.org
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DeMinimis
I Eat Glue

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: Dual vs single carburation. Reply with quote

I tried a single Dell DRLA many years back. Kept having icing problems during cool mornings. Switched to duel Dells (with jet drs) and never had an issue again. Tuning is simple. There was/is a Dellorto bible out there, so guessing there's something similar for the Webers. If so, a wise investment.

'78 SB CEII In Progress.
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: Dual vs single carburation. Reply with quote

Bibles...

http://www.cbperformance.com/product-p/0101.htm

http://www.cbperformance.com/product-p/0103.htm

Dale

flashho
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Dual vs single carburation. Reply with quote

ditto - ZENITH 32NDIX just make sure it gets enough air. When I went with a UMP air box with a velocity stack and the big filter, it went from running great to Frickin amazing!
superpro56
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:31 am    Post subject: Re: Dual vs single carburation. Reply with quote

Its sacrilege to most on this site to move from a dual setup to a single. But, I think it can be done quite successfully. Had a friend who loathed the hex bar linkage and the issues required to work out and disliked the susceptibility of the weber carbs to get fouled by the tiniest particle, especially being used off road. He transitioned to a single 4 barrel holley carb and has enjoyed easier linkage tuning and less maintenance due to fouled jets. Not saying its for everyone, but it can be made to work as well, if not better, under certain circumstances.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: