Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Left Rear Axle Nut Removal
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Craig_and_Wills
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:00 pm    Post subject: Left Rear Axle Nut Removal Reply with quote

We have a 1970 Beetle, and we are trying to remove the left rear axle nut, the right side came off. Cotter pin has been removed, liberal application of Kroil and liquid wrench. 36 mm socket on a 3/4" drive on a 18" breaker bar, with a 3' long cheater pipe. 2x2x1/8" angle iron has been machined and attached to drum using lug nuts and the above mentioned breaker bar and application of muscles in a counterclockwise direction has not broken the nut loose. The nut is a right-handed thread. We have used a cold chisel to try and move the nut along. The nut has not taken so much damage that you cannot put a socket on it. HELP!

Considering purchasing a "torque meister"

Any other advice?
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Left Rear Axle Nut Removal Reply with quote

Mine needed a week of jumping on the breaker bar with reapplication of PB Blaster/Kroil/ATF fluid mix.

After about 6 days it popped loose.
vwoldbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Left Rear Axle Nut Removal Reply with quote

Either the torque meister or a big air impact and then a torch that will get the axle nut red hot . If the car movable maybe take it to repair shop .
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Left Rear Axle Nut Removal Reply with quote

Put the wheel back on.
Let the car down

Put the socket on the nut, the wrench on the socket with the end of the handle on the ground.

Start engine, put into gear and gently crawl. Nut should come loose.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert

Last edited by djkeev on Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jrm1080
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Left Rear Axle Nut Removal Reply with quote

Slide over your 36mm nut. Apply constant pressure with 1/2” breaker, no cheater necessary. Then whack the shit out of it with a miimum of a 3lb sledge. Presto.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I think I paid less than $10 for mine.

•’67 Type I mostly original semi daily driver (temperature permitting 🔥☀️)
•’74 Type I work in progress.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Left Rear Axle Nut Removal Reply with quote

If the nut won't turn cut it off.
Just grind it down till you kiss the threads, and it will give up then.
Nuts are less expensive than ruining the axle.

All are right hand thread.
bhartwell59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:05 am    Post subject: Re: Left Rear Axle Nut Removal Reply with quote

Yep, the nuts are righty tighty, lefty loosey.

I like jkeev's idea: in gear and gently let the car crawl with the socket/breaker attached.

The Torquemiester is good ($65?) but how often are you gonna take an axle nut off?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:08 am    Post subject: Re: Left Rear Axle Nut Removal Reply with quote

Try taking it to a truck tire repair shop and let them have a shot at it with high pressure air impact.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
Joey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:47 am    Post subject: Re: Left Rear Axle Nut Removal Reply with quote

Never had an axle nut that the "torque meister" tool couldn't get off.

The whack tool above can be hard on the wheel bearings.

‘60 Kombi - '74 Bus - '79 Panel - '65 Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tom K.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: Left Rear Axle Nut Removal Reply with quote

Instead of a 3' cheater pipe, I once used a segment of 8' pipe that my kids use for a volleyball net. Stand on the end of that and the nut *will* come loose. My wheels are on the ground chocked with everything I could find to keep them from turning, the emergency brake on, and a kid pushing on the brake pedal.

Then, before putting it back on, clean the threads out real well and smear a little grease on the threads. Next time will be much easier.
'65 Ghia: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=762478&highlight=
markholland8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Left Rear Axle Nut Removal Reply with quote

are both sides lefty lucy and righty tighty I got off LHR hubnut using lefy lucy but cant get off right hand side. So what I am asking is both nits should come off by loosening towards front of car. Thanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Left Rear Axle Nut Removal Reply with quote

markholland8 wrote:
are both sides lefty lucy and righty tighty I got off LHR hubnut using lefy lucy but cant get off right hand side. So what I am asking is both nits should come off by loosening towards front of car. Thanks

they are both standard thread. Rotate nut counterclockwise to loosen.
markholland8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Left Rear Axle Nut Removal Reply with quote

sjbartnik wrote:
markholland8 wrote:

they are both standard thread. Rotate nut counterclockwise to loosen.

Many thanks guess I have my work cut out lol.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Left Rear Axle Nut Removal Reply with quote

markholland8 wrote:

Both sides are right hand thread, so counterclockwise to loosen.

1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
TX-73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Left Rear Axle Nut Removal Reply with quote

I use a torquemeister, doesn't matter if it's not often needed. The other part of this is installing and properly torqueing the nut. The tool makes it easy and accurate.

Edit - meant to add that at 60+ years age, I try to work smarter not harder. I'm in good shape but I don't have the same strength as I did in my 20's/30s. Hate to say it lol but it's the truth.

Last edited by TX-73 on Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
eashc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Left Rear Axle Nut Removal Reply with quote

Here's one way to keep the wheels from moving.
Works pretty good

https://youtu.be/aFgxKLIz1jo
H2OSB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Left Rear Axle Nut Removal Reply with quote

I fourth or fifth the notion of using a Torque Meister. Best tool I've ever purchased.

H2OSB
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Left Rear Axle Nut Removal Reply with quote

TX-73 wrote:
I use a torquemeister, doesn't matter if it's not often needed. The other part of this is installing and properly torquing the nut. The tool makes it easy and accurate.

I can't agree with this more. I think I paid 90 bucks for mine from CB. It came with 12v and 6v flywheel gears as well.

For a long time I used breaker bars, BFHs, or other brute force methods. They work, but usually result in some damage to the nut, your shins, or hands. Then there is the problem of getting it back on there at the right torque..

With the torqumeister tool you can accurately torque the axel nut with a 3/8 ratchet and two fingers with the car still on a jack-stand. No brute force required. Actually it was so easy, it made me nervous that it wasn't tight. I was so used to standing on a cheater bar with my full weight. One of the best VW tools I've purchased.
boundstaffpress
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Left Rear Axle Nut Removal Reply with quote

I used a 10 foot cheater on a 3/4 inch T-bar with an impact socket. I bent a 1/2 breakover bar before buying the 3/4 in T-bar

Building a 73 Super Beetle with my kids.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
megalania
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Left Rear Axle Nut Removal Reply with quote

I tried for weeks to get both mine off from my 73. In the end I got the grinder out and carefully ground the nut down. When there were only a couple millimeters left the nuts pinged and cracked from the pressure. They came off and the axle thread was fine. I just bought new nuts.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: