Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

RMW vs SC Subaru Conversion Kits
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  

RMW or SC Subaru Conversion Kit preference in 2018
Rocky Mountain
64%
 64%  [ 22 ]
Small Car
17%
 17%  [ 6 ]
Other
17%
 17%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 34

connor_warren59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:13 pm    Post subject: Re: RMW vs SC Subaru Conversion Kits Reply with quote

I live in an urban area of NV which abides by CA smog rules...so it's KEP for me.

I probably would have gone RMW if it wasn't for that, but I'm very pleased with KEP so far. The quality of the parts and the customer service is top notch. However, I haven't finished the conversion yet so we will see how it all comes together.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:01 am    Post subject: Re: RMW vs SC Subaru Conversion Kits Reply with quote

creedua wrote:
Being in eastern Ky. there is no shop that I am aware of to do installs. Of all the kits which would be the easiest for a total novice? I have been looking at the KEP ones. Some guys say the 1.9 TDI is the easiest.

What is your wrench turning experience level?

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
creedua
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: RMW vs SC Subaru Conversion Kits Reply with quote

As long as there isn't fabbing or welding involved, I think I could pull it off.
termuehlen Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: RMW vs SC Subaru Conversion Kits Reply with quote

I have been driving a small car conversion for 50k miles / over five years with very few troubles. Very happy.
12Paths
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: RMW vs SC Subaru Conversion Kits Reply with quote

I’ve been preparing for this for a year now and I’m going with mostly small car. For price, use of skid plate, and I got a used sc Bellhousing cheap. I’m sure they are both awesome companies. These beasts eat a lot of money so I am trying to ration it’s intake. Lol
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: RMW vs SC Subaru Conversion Kits Reply with quote

I am coming up on 8 years and 75,000 miles on my OutFront Motorsports adapter plate conversion. I used SmallCar's engine mount and a coolant tube and have had no problems at all since getting the leaky coolant tube re-welded.

I started off with the SC SS headers but they broke repeatedly, year after year and I now have a nickel plated Stan's Header in place with a flex joint in the middle.

You can't go wrong with this approach IMHO.
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Heli-mech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: RMW vs SC Subaru Conversion Kits Reply with quote

On my 81 air to water cooled conversion I am running the RMW adapter plate kit, with a Small Car engine mount and header on a 2001 ej25.

I made my own harness and made my own cooling system piping from aluminum 6061 tubing and gates flex hoses. Works a treat and has no issues.
markswagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: RMW vs SC Subaru Conversion Kits Reply with quote

The killer with the small car kit is the clutch slave / release bearing being inside the bell housing, and the fact that the stock clutch pedal has more travel than the clutch slave can handle,k so you'll need to modify that also.
For those reasons RMW, if you need it to be california smog friendly, then KEP

The RJES stuff would be my first choice, getting here is a killer on that one, he is based 30 miles from my home town.
alaskadan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: RMW vs SC Subaru Conversion Kits Reply with quote

You don't have to modify the clutch pedal, you just install their bushing into the master cylinder. Or you can buy one of the already modified clutch pedals. Chances are an original clutch pedal needs to be fixed anyhow. I wouldn't use their vss again though, its kinda susceptible to damage down there on a cv flange imo.
markswagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: RMW vs SC Subaru Conversion Kits Reply with quote

I guess stuff has changed, it certainly used to be that the clutch pedal required modification .

alaskadan wrote:
You don't have to modify the clutch pedal, you just install their bushing into the master cylinder. Or you can buy one of the already modified clutch pedals. Chances are an original clutch pedal needs to be fixed anyhow. I wouldn't use their vss again though, its kinda susceptible to damage down there on a cv flange imo.
michaelbteam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: RMW vs SC Subaru Conversion Kits Reply with quote

Metric Motors in Centerville near Salt Lake City installed a 2003 2.5 Subie in my 90 Syncro 3 years ago and I've been very pleased. They use some items from Kennedy and Small Car and fabricate some of their own. They preferred to avoid later model "drive by wire" systems.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: