Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1961 Beetle Convertible Value
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
WesternAuto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:21 am    Post subject: 1961 Beetle Convertible Value Reply with quote

I just stumbled across a '61 convertible that has been parked in a garage 14 years. From under the pile of bikes and toys, it appears to be in solid, non-rusted out shape with descent paint. No clue on the mechanical shape, supposedly it "ran when parked".

From a cursory search, this year seems to have some value. Anyone interested in hazarding a guess on the value of an un-restored, but sound '61 Beetle convertible?
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:12 am    Post subject: Re: 1961 Beetle Convertible Value Reply with quote

Running, and driving, anywhere from $10k-$25k. If it has sat for 14 years, plan on spending $3k-$5k doing the entire fuel system, entire brake system, new tires, and fixing any leaks. The leaks could be valve cover gaskets, and axle boots, or could require entire rebuilds of both. In non-running stored for 14 years condition, I'd be looking to be in the $3k-$6k range to buy it.

Last edited by [email protected] on Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:29 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
WesternAuto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:22 am    Post subject: Re: 1961 Beetle Convertible Value Reply with quote

Thanks, he is asking 3k and I am looking at what the parts to repair would be so your response is exactly what I was looking for.

I'm a gear head, but all American stuff from the 60's and 70's. Would I be insane to think I could figure these cars out?
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:33 am    Post subject: Re: 1961 Beetle Convertible Value Reply with quote

If its solid.. .. meaning no or little rust in the rocker panels, heater channels, convertible support rails.. and only light floor rust.. and the body is solid.. 3k is a good entry price..
That's IF it has all the parts.. top, glass, interior, vented decklid etc.... and hasn't been crashed or beat up on too badly.

Do it yourself.. from the barn find to the road nice driver convertibles.. bring 10-12k.. but you will spend close to that getting it to that level..

If its rusty in the lower half.. .. add an easy 5k.. in labor alone. .. that you will never recoup in any sale Laughing

Most convertibles are break even labor of love.. hate..
Flip side... the value of them should only grow...

Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: 1961 Beetle Convertible Value Reply with quote

If you have done the stuff mentioned to get an American car back on the road from long term storage, you'll be ahead of the game. VW's are unique compared to American cars of the same era, but I would think you could figure them out. At least you know what a carburetor, and points are. Convertible components, such as door seals, and top related items are expensive, and add up quickly. If you are wanting the car to get it reliably running, and driving to play with as is, that's fine. Keep in mind if you're wanting to do a full concours restoration, you will have more invested than the car is currently, and possibly will ever be worth.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: 1961 Beetle Convertible Value Reply with quote

As mentioned rust is the enemy....Big problem with verts is leaking tops....Many times the rear package area is rotted. Then you have the issues of the body reinforcement rails under the rockers and other areas already mentioned.

Other things to factor is is the cost of a top replacement. Going rate around here is $3500-4500. As mentioned, just going through mechanicals will set you back and easy grand in parts assuming nothing major is broken.

If you are lucky, the car has been restored at some point and is solid. But if it spend its life in Illinois, at some point it probably would have had serious rust.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: 1961 Beetle Convertible Value Reply with quote

If you haven't already, ask the owner if you can in there and give it a serious look-see.

Cars are often permanently parked for a reason, and not usually not a good one. If there car was in salable condition it would have been sold, unless it was held onto for sentimental reasons only, which is the best possible scenario for the next buyer.

But at $3K for a vert bug not from out west where it's warm and dry? Hmmm . . .
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: 1961 Beetle Convertible Value Reply with quote

scottyrocks wrote:
If you haven't already, ask the owner if you can in there and give it a serious look-see.

Cars are often permanently parked for a reason, and not usually not a good one. If there car was in salable condition it would have been sold, unless it was held onto for sentimental reasons only, which is the best possible scenario for the next buyer.

But at $3K for a vert bug not from out west where it's warm and dry? Hmmm . . .

My convertible ran when parked too. But, it had a rod knock that sounded like a hammer inside the engine (that's why I finally retired it from daily driver duty). And the reinforcement rails were shot. And the top was torn. And the floor pans were patched. And the ball joints were worn ...

I now have a small fortune in parts, and even though paint and body work was a bargain, I still have probably more into it than anyone would ever give me for it ... and it still isn't put together. And it needs a complete top rebuild too.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: 1961 Beetle Convertible Value Reply with quote

I brought back a 67 convertible for 100 bucks back in the early 90's from its most certain demise of the crusher death..
Found it in a junkyard.. was crashed (again) and already poorly clipped in the front.. missing decklid, semi rotted floors and roof.. channels and supports.. were.. eh' soso.. (sigh)
Finding a pre 68 convertible in our ares is like finding hens teeth.. so had to have it..

I low budgeted everything.and patched, clipped, patched.. and sewed it back together.. I did all of the work myself but.. I had lots of spare parts from Sedans to use on it..plus sheet metal from appliances and an old Ford van.. Laughing .
It was surely a Johnny Cash VW...
I rode around in style
I drove everybody wild
'Cause I had the only one there was around.

It did feel good to drive it.. especially.. knowing what it came from.

I may have had 3500 in it at the time.. Sold it 3800... 16 years later bought it back for 1500.. Brick wall d'oh! and then slowly parted it out over 3 years for around 2k.... so.. yeah.. back in the hole.. Laughing
(never buy one back for sentiMENTAL reasons.)

Its fun to build old cars.. if you like that sort of thing.. unless you get it for a song.. rarely will you profit when you sell.. count your labor in.. forgetaboutit..
You come out way ahead some times.. if you just to buy the damn thing ready to drive..
It keeps years on your life.. Laughing

I have a pretty solid 1961 convertible now.. Bought it at a good price 15 years ago... it will be my last VW I resurrect.. I don't restore..

They all ran when parked.. Laughing

WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
WesternAuto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: 1961 Beetle Convertible Value Reply with quote

Thanks, gentlemen, this was super helpful.

The guy originally said he just wanted someone to haul it away and then that escalated to 3k. Might be a good deal for someone that wants to have a bug, but doesn't sound like a good candidate to get out and running to sell.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: 1961 Beetle Convertible Value Reply with quote

If you are specifically buying it to flip, there are a lot of what ifs that can go incredibly right, and what ifs that can go incredibly wrong. I've come across both scenario's of vehicles parked. Ones from having horrible mechanical issues, and others in mint condition from life getting in the way. I'd be inclined to take a closer look. If it's a solid car not rusted out for $3k, simply getting it running could possibly double your money. The fad of "survivors" from a long lost time capsule is still going strong, and as stupid as it sounds, the backstory of the 14 year storage/neglect most likely ADDS value to the car. It will depend on how much work, and how far back to perfect working order you want to take it if you're trying to flip it. Think of it as a 60's Mustang/Camaro in similar condition in the $10k range. Sure driving cars are in the $20k-$30k range, and show vehicles in the $35k-$50k, but what would you need to do to make a profit on a $10k 67 Camaro?
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: 1961 Beetle Convertible Value Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
If you are specifically buying it to flip, there are a lot of what ifs that can go incredibly right, and what ifs that can go incredibly wrong. I've come across both scenarios of vehicles parked. Ones from having horrible mechanical issues, and others in mint condition from life getting in the way.

I'd be inclined to take a closer look. If it's a solid car not rusted out for $3k, simply getting it running could possibly double your money.?

^ Very sound advice... and exactly what I'd suggest as well.

Really.. Look at it.. .. you dont know till ya do..

If you "see or feel" heavy rust.. multiply it by at least 10 to maybe divulge whats hidden

Rust is auto cancer..

Plus.. you could always part it out. scavenge and butcher one.. to keep some others alive..
It would take years off your life though with typical cheap ass VW buyers.. Laughing

Usually and often edited
WesternAuto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 1961 Beetle Convertible Value Reply with quote

VOLKSWAGNUT wrote:

It would take years off your life though with typical cheap ass VW buyers.. Laughing

.[/quote]

Aint nobody got time for that. Very Happy
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 1961 Beetle Convertible Value Reply with quote

Not sure what part of ILL you live but stuff still rust in garages.
Any photos, 3K you better look it over really good as body work is not cheap. If it needs an engine well that alone in my book of perfect engine would be a comfortable twenty five hundred.
Post some photos.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
rs58rag
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 1961 Beetle Convertible Value Reply with quote

Everything for an early convertible is expensive. The top, top bows, wood tack strips, all the rubber seals and brite trim. If it checks out okay then 3k is good but rust can turn into a money pit, especially if heater channels are rusted out.
swharris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 1961 Beetle Convertible Value Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
Keep in mind if you're wanting to do a full concours restoration, you will have more invested than the car is currently, and possibly will ever be worth.

I remember dispensing this exact advice to a friend wanting to buy a rusty 23 window bus. I think it was $1200 bucks in 2000 and he ended up passing on it. Um, yeah I don't give advice much anymore Laughing
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 1961 Beetle Convertible Value Reply with quote

swharris wrote:
[email protected] wrote:
Keep in mind if you're wanting to do a full concours restoration, you will have more invested than the car is currently, and possibly will ever be worth.

I remember dispensing this exact advice to a friend wanting to buy a rusty 23 window bus. I think it was $1200 bucks in 2000 and he ended up passing on it. Um, yeah I don't give advice much anymore Laughing

As of Feb of 2018, you will STILL have more invested than worth in a paid restoration of a 23 Window Bus capable of driving on the show fields of Amelia Island/Pebble Beach. And that's if you get the Bus for FREE.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: