Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Sealing head studs inside the heads???
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:07 pm    Post subject: Sealing head studs inside the heads??? Reply with quote

Yeah - I know this is a stupid question...and I have installed tons of heads. Well, not tons, but a few....But we are counting on just the flat washers and nuts to keep oil from leaking around the head studs. Getting ready to put an engine back together and am seeing evidence of leakage in this area. Does anybody use anything? Was pondering aviation sealer on the backside of the washers.....
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Sealing head studs inside the heads??? Reply with quote

use a non-hardening sealant. RTV or Curil works well here.

Please do NOT send me Private Messages through the Samba PM System (I will not see them). Send me an e-mail to john at aircooled dot net

"Like" our Facebook page at
http://www.facebook.com/vwpartsaircoolednet
and get a 5% off code for use on one order for VW Parts ON OUR PARTS STORE WEBSITE, vwparts.aircooled.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Sealing head studs inside the heads??? Reply with quote

I just put them on dry and no leaks, but I must be lucky. IF you use RTV make sure you don't get it in the threads or you'll be pulling the studs out to clean them next time around.
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Sealing head studs inside the heads??? Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
use a non-hardening sealant. RTV or Curil works well here.

Ditto... Mostly non hardening (aircraft) sealer...

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Sealing head studs inside the heads??? Reply with quote

I used no sealer, and they leaked.

Pulled the nuts/washers, cleaned all with brake cleaner and used permatex high tack sealent in the brush top can. All good now.
[email protected] MPH 1/4 Mile & 8.1 @ 83.7MPH in 1/8 Mile with Mild Type 1 VW Mag Case 2234cc commuter engine in stock weight bug w/only .491 total lift(CB2292 Cam), 42x37 heads, 48idf's, Street tires, Belt on, Mufflers, Pump gas, video of the run here: https://youtu.be/M3SPqMOKAOg

Transmission by MCMScott:
Rhino case, Klinkenberg 4.12, Superdiff, 002 mainshaft with 091 first idler. Weddle 1.48 Third & 1.14 Fourth.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
anthracitedub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Sealing head studs inside the heads??? Reply with quote

I always seal underneath the washers...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Sealing head studs inside the heads??? Reply with quote

Permatex Ultra Black works good too.
Available at your local FLAPS.
Put a bead on the bottom of the washer and install.

Take a good long look in the mirror and report back on what you see.

Paul.H wrote:
That one line on that chart is probably better info than you can get from this place in a month

My Megasquirt Fuel Injection Turbo Buggy Build
Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16
ECUMaster ADU5 Digital Dash

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=127936
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Sealing head studs inside the heads??? Reply with quote

Loctite 574 on the backside of the washers-.just a little will do
CLKWRK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Sealing head studs inside the heads??? Reply with quote

I have been using permatex aircraft sealant on the head studs with case savers that are open to the crank case interior, they have never leaked on me
http://shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=134056
Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/vantageaircooled/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Sealing head studs inside the heads??? Reply with quote

I would not use RTV. I do use otay liquid Teflon sealer in the tube on both sides of the washer and nut and threads. no leeks.no issues cleaning up no worries about it in the oil or the screen.Just apply, torque to specs and wipe off any xsess.
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: Sealing head studs inside the heads??? Reply with quote

Awesome - thanks.....I was figuring Aviation or possibly a small bead of my Permatex right stuff....Was surprised that there is nothing the the manuals about this. You folks rock!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
FreeBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: Sealing head studs inside the heads??? Reply with quote

Curil K-2, not Curil-T
RWK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Sealing head studs inside the heads??? Reply with quote

Aviation form-a-gasket, the dark stuff, all they had for a long time, before silicone was all the rage, used/worked on everything on VWs
62 Type 241-378 025 178 530
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:00 am    Post subject: Re: Sealing head studs inside the heads??? Reply with quote

In fact it goes back to the early 1900s and Barney Oldfield as spokesman. A product that’s been around over 100 years, I’ve used it since the 1970s.
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:31 am    Post subject: Re: Sealing head studs inside the heads??? Reply with quote

Since we are discussing sealers.....Cylinders to case....I have had great luck with thin bead of Permatex right stuff at the cylinder base. BUT I have this engine that is using 2 cylinder shims per cylinder....Very concerned that Right stuff is gonna set up too fast dealing with the shims.... Wanting to get this thing back together today...Let me know.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: Sealing head studs inside the heads??? Reply with quote

I agree on a good quality, high temp...OIL RESISTANT RTV.

So many times I have advocated using RTV in many engine applications....by applying micro-thin, letting it cure and then clamping the parts (intakes, case line etc.). In effect....making a precision gasket with it.

Under head stud washers is one of the places you do NOT want to apply it that way. The reason is that having an actual HARDENED elastic material under the forged washers.....will allow them to load up and lock under initial torque....but over a short period of time the RTV will crush down and release torque.

The proper way with forged head stud washers is to apply thin and wet. In this way the washer will squeeze out any RTV not required to fill low spots and gaps. In most areas the washer will properly load up metal to metal.
Once the nut is torqued....scrupulously wipe up all excess RTV. Ray
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Sealing head studs inside the heads??? Reply with quote

as I recall locktight rtv used to state do not use on head bolts&threads....ive nevere been able to wipe it up it seems to leave a thin film that comes off lator. it is however great for cylinder shim sealer...if used sparingly...very sparingly. I use the OTAYliquid Teflon/pipesealer with Teflon, as that's what arp told me to use on any head bolts/studs that are wet or have toe ability to leek. that is what they send but in a arp tube.
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:11 am    Post subject: Re: Sealing head studs inside the heads??? Reply with quote

andk5591 wrote:
Since we are discussing sealers.....Cylinders to case....I have had great luck with thin bead of Permatex right stuff at the cylinder base. BUT I have this engine that is using 2 cylinder shims per cylinder....Very concerned that Right stuff is gonna set up too fast dealing with the shims.... Wanting to get this thing back together today...Let me know.

I use Right Stuff with 2 shims. There is enough time to work without it bring a problem. You dont have to rush. But don't doddle around either. I usually get the barrels on and torque down the heads with no tubes, let it aet overnight and the go the next day and finish the top end

brad
Lo Cash John
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:14 am    Post subject: Re: Sealing head studs inside the heads??? Reply with quote

Checkout Yamabond 4. I've used it on VW & Subaru builds and It's really good stuff. It should be available at any Yamaha dealership.

If you actually drive your VW, you need www.AirMapp.com

My boss told me I need to work on my mutli-tasking. So now when I use the bathroom at work I surf The Samba on my iPhone.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:11 am    Post subject: Re: Sealing head studs inside the heads??? Reply with quote

slalombuggy wrote:
andk5591 wrote:

I use Right Stuff with 2 shims. There is enough time to work without it bring a problem. You dont have to rush. But don't doddle around either. I usually get the barrels on and torque down the heads with no tubes, let it aet overnight and the go the next day and finish the top end

brad

Yeah - was talking to another shop that uses 3M urethane windshield sealer...Almost grabbed a tube, but the more I thought about it and researched sealing with shims, Right stuff will be fine. And I know how well it works. Was puzzled by the windshield sealer, but that shop had built several engines for me years ago and their question was "do any of your engines leak?" And no they don't.... Thanks all.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: