Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Floor Starting My Rebuilt Engine - another won't start thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Floor Starting My Rebuilt Engine - another won't start thread Reply with quote

I’m totally spitballing here... I had a similar sounding issue when I swapped distributors on my dune buggy. Obviously the firing order is the same, but the #1 position was 90* counterclockwise from the 205k going to the 034. Have you tried moving all the wires 1 position counter clockwise?

2 1
3 4
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
fl59bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Floor Starting My Rebuilt Engine - another won't start thread Reply with quote

thanks Sharp64, I'll give that a go in the morning and report back with my findings
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Floor Starting My Rebuilt Engine - another won't start thread Reply with quote

fl59bug wrote:
I popped the valve covers off and watched #1 intake and exhaust close while at the same time verifying the crank pulley 10 degree mark lined up with the crankcase split, and the rotor pointed to the #1 notch in the distributor body.

Are you observing both valves close on #1 and then continuing to rotate the engine until it hits the timing mark or are you seeing the timing mark align right as the valves close?

My personal theory is your timing is 180° out.
Slow 1200
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:19 am    Post subject: Re: Floor Starting My Rebuilt Engine - another won't start thread Reply with quote

personally when I'm setting static timing on an "unkown" engine I don't pay attention to distributor notch, or drive position, the pulley will give you TDC (or close enough to it), the valves will tell you if it's #3 or #1 on firing stroke, then wire accordingly to the post where the rotor is pointing at.
you don't even need a timing light to get it close enough to be able start the engine, the little spark when points open has always worked good enough for me
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:46 am    Post subject: Re: Floor Starting My Rebuilt Engine - another won't start thread Reply with quote

Slow 1200 wrote:
personally when I'm setting static timing on an "unkown" engine I don't pay attention to distributor notch, or drive position, the pulley will give you TDC (or close enough to it), the valves will tell you if it's #3 or #1 on firing stroke, then wire accordingly to the post where the rotor is pointing at.
you don't even need a timing light to get it close enough to be able start the engine, the little spark when points open has always worked good enough for me

See the bold above.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
fl59bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:45 am    Post subject: Re: Floor Starting My Rebuilt Engine - another won't start thread Reply with quote

Sharp64 wrote:
I’m totally spitballing here... I had a similar sounding issue when I swapped distributors on my dune buggy. Obviously the firing order is the same, but the #1 position was 90* counterclockwise from the 205k going to the 034. Have you tried moving all the wires 1 position counter clockwise?

2 1
3 4

Well dang, that didn't work Sad It basically acted the same except it didn't even pop in the carb anymore. I'll continue messing with this thing I guess!
parker007
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:00 am    Post subject: Re: Floor Starting My Rebuilt Engine - another won't start thread Reply with quote

leaking intake valve will blow back in carb also. or wrong cam timing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fl59bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:02 am    Post subject: Re: Floor Starting My Rebuilt Engine - another won't start thread Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
Slow 1200 wrote:

See the bold above.

Thanks Cusser and the others trying to help Smile I'll go give this a try.

I couldn't sleep so I got up and swapped out the German 6 volt starter and solenoid for my FLAPS Chinese-made Smile 12 volt one. The engine still turns over nicely, but somewhat slower.

Back to the TDC discussion, I haven't tried the above method, but I have popped the right valve cover off, watched #1 valves close with the crank pulley approaching the TDC mark. I had the #1 plug out and connected to its wire with the electrode near the intake manifold, and as I rotated the crank slowly I watched the plug emit a small spark.

Last night in a further attempt to be sure I was at TDC on #1 I popped the spark plug out of cylinder 1 and put an unsharpened pencil (the wooden end not the metal eraser end lol) in the plug hole. I rotated the engine until the pencil was sticking out the farthest, ensuring I had TDC. Using my test light I then set the static timing to 10 degrees BTDC.

Dont mean to be all over the place with my train of thought, but another question - why is there flame in the throat of the carb and the lower outer ends of the manifold get extremely warm when I crank the engine over for say, 10 seconds. I know this is obviously due to some sort of combustion taking place, but does this point to any further issue proving/disproving timing issues, or something wrong with my heads, intake manifold or even the carburetor itself?
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:03 am    Post subject: Re: Floor Starting My Rebuilt Engine - another won't start thread Reply with quote

fl59bug wrote:
Sharp64 wrote:

2 1
3 4

Well dang, that didn't work Sad It basically acted the same except it didn't even pop in the carb anymore. I'll continue messing with this thing I guess!

Just to eliminate, try 180* out. Move everything one more position counter clockwise.
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
fl59bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:04 am    Post subject: Re: Floor Starting My Rebuilt Engine - another won't start thread Reply with quote

parker007 wrote:
leaking intake valve will blow back in carb also. or wrong cam timing.

Thanks. I won't rule out that possibility. I'm trusting the head rebuilder on this Smile
fl59bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:05 am    Post subject: Re: Floor Starting My Rebuilt Engine - another won't start thread Reply with quote

Sharp64 wrote:
fl59bug wrote:
Sharp64 wrote:

2 1
3 4

Just to eliminate, try 180* out. Move everything one more position counter clockwise.

I'll do this. Fingers crossed it makes a difference!
fl59bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:13 am    Post subject: Re: Floor Starting My Rebuilt Engine - another won't start thread Reply with quote

Sharp64 wrote:
fl59bug wrote:
Sharp64 wrote:

2 1
3 4

Sharp64 you are da man!!!!! I swapped the wires clockwise once more and it INSTANTLY!!! fired!!! Very Happy I am over the moon right now lol.

Thank you 100,000,000 mizillion times and if you are ever in Harrisburg NC look me up and I will take you to Red Lobster or some other fancy eatery.

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
parker007
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:14 am    Post subject: Re: Floor Starting My Rebuilt Engine - another won't start thread Reply with quote

i think you 180 off. watch valves and time to compression stroke. turn till intake valve close and then turn till tdc
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:30 am    Post subject: Re: Floor Starting My Rebuilt Engine - another won't start thread Reply with quote

fl59bug wrote:
Sharp64 wrote:
fl59bug wrote:
Sharp64 wrote:

2 1
3 4

Sharp64 you are da man!!!!! I swapped the wires clockwise once more and it INSTANTLY!!! fired!!! Very Happy I am over the moon right now lol.

Thank you 100,000,000 mizillion times and if you are ever in Harrisburg NC look me up and I will take you to Red Lobster or some other fancy eatery.

Someone else actually mentioned it before I did, I was just more insistent. Glad it worked out. Now the question is, what is installed incorrectly so that its 180* off? Sounds like the distributor drive is correct, which makes the tang in the distributor correct, so is the crank in wrong?
fl59bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:31 am    Post subject: Re: Floor Starting My Rebuilt Engine - another won't start thread Reply with quote

parker007 wrote:
i think you 180 off. watch valves and time to compression stroke. turn till intake valve close and then turn till tdc

yep I was 180 out. Sharp64 hooked me up with the fix for this.

Now that the beast will run, I gotta ask, what went wrong with my understanding of timing my engine. This basically throws off everything I ever "thought" I knew about air cooled type 1 engine timing.

I assembled this motor, so I'm not a complete dummy (close but not 100% dummy Smile) and I thought I did everything right.

Here is a sketch of the setup that got me running, and it makes zero sense to me but I won't look a gift horse in the mouth lol:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

In the sketch is the current wiring of my 009, and later when I swap back to the OG vacuum advance distrib it'll be that one too. The car runs perfect with this wiring. Also in the sketch is the distributor gear when #1 is at top dead center.

I swear I put the cam dots and crank do in mesh when I assembled the thing, and I removed and reinstalled the drive gear 2 times just to get it as it shows in my sketch. Again, what did I do wrong?

Thanks so much again everyone for staying with me until this little monster got running again!
fl59bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:34 am    Post subject: Re: Floor Starting My Rebuilt Engine - another won't start thread Reply with quote

Sharp64 wrote:
fl59bug wrote:
Sharp64 wrote:
fl59bug wrote:
Sharp64 wrote:

2 1
3 4

Someone else actually mentioned it before I did, I was just more insistent. Glad it worked out. Now the question is, what is installed incorrectly so that its 180* off? Sounds like the distributor drive is correct, which makes the tang in the distributor correct, so is the crank in wrong?

yes I apologize to all of you that mentioned it being 180 out, want to give you many props for your suggestion too. Please don't take me to be rude for not giving credit to each and everyone that contributed to this thread!

Sharp, I wonder what I did wrong when assembling too, since I know I put the cam and crank gear in mesh properly. I could have messed that up who knows as I may be gettin' senile lol
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:40 am    Post subject: Re: Floor Starting My Rebuilt Engine - another won't start thread Reply with quote

Where is the key slot in the crank? What position is it in?
fl59bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:47 am    Post subject: Re: Floor Starting My Rebuilt Engine - another won't start thread Reply with quote

I was wondering that too. Its supposed to be in the 9 o' clock position from what was mentioned by others with #1 at TDC. I'll need to undo the pulley bolt so I can see behind it to be sure. I'll put that on the todo list.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: Floor Starting My Rebuilt Engine - another won't start thread Reply with quote

fl59bug wrote:
crankshaft woodruff key.... Its supposed to be in the 9 o' clock position from what was mentioned by others with #1 at TDC.

That position would be TDC #1 or TDC #3.

Never use a pencil - like you did. Steal a plastic drinking straw from McDonald's!!!
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
fl59bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: Floor Starting My Rebuilt Engine - another won't start thread Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
fl59bug wrote:
crankshaft woodruff key.... Its supposed to be in the 9 o' clock position from what was mentioned by others with #1 at TDC.

That position would be TDC #1 or TDC #3.

Never use a pencil - like you did. Steal a plastic drinking straw from McDonald's!!!

Will do Cusser thanks! Smile
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: