Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Generator light on
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
markholland8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:44 am    Post subject: Re: Generator light on Reply with quote

so I eventually found the issue, in insight i should bought a new regulator in the first place #onabudget anyways purchased a brand new one and low and behold i still had the issue. eventually tracked it down to a very worn generator brush. On a positive note I now have a spare.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Generator light on Reply with quote

markholland8 wrote:
so I eventually found the issue, in insight i should bought a new regulator in the first place #onabudget anyways purchased a brand new one and low and behold i still had the issue. eventually tracked it down to a very worn generator brush. On a positive note I now have a spare.

There's two brushes on the generator. Change both.
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:19 am    Post subject: Re: Generator light on Reply with quote

I've been working the last 9 days so little time to look at the forums, but when a saw the title of this thread, my immediate thought is "check the friggin' brushes"... Razz

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: Generator light on Reply with quote

glutamodo wrote:
I've been working the last 9 days so little time to look at the forums, but when a saw the title of this thread, my immediate thought is "check the friggin' brushes"... Razz

Mine was the belt. Second was the brushes.

Remember not to tighten the belt to tight.

You might think the tighter the better but that is not good in this instance.
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
buggin74vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Generator light on Reply with quote

Currently dealing with same situation. My belt feels kinda tight. Just curious how a tight belt would cause charging to not be happening?
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Generator light on Reply with quote

buggin74vw wrote:
Currently dealing with same situation. My belt feels kinda tight. Just curious how a tight belt would cause charging to not be happening?

It would have nothing to do with charging not happening, but a too-tight belt will kill the bearings in the generator.
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Generator light on Reply with quote

buggin74vw wrote:

The closer the pulley halves are to each other, the higher the belt rides in the groove. When the belt rides higher in the groove you're effectively increasing the working diameter of the pulley, which reduces rpm. So I guess theoretically if the belt is tightened to such an extent that the pulley rpm drops below the generator cut-in speed, you could get a gen light from that... but I'm pretty sure your idle speed would likely have to be under normal spec as well.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: