Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

beefier trany for 2332 and on engines for bugs?(help)
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:20 pm    Post subject: beefier trany for 2332 and on engines for bugs?(help) Reply with quote

hello, i am currently building a very fast vw 1600dp. i am including a 2332 volksracer kit from scatvw, a fuel injection kit from cb performance, and a turbo kit from cb performance.
the cam im using is a c-55 cam.

however do you guys think a Porsche 901 transmission will do the job or do i have to do something insane to withstand all of this horsepower.

thanks Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tobias Bylund
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:20 am    Post subject: Re: beefier trany for 2332 and on engines for bugs?(help) Reply with quote

I had basically the same plan a while back, and when i did research on the 901 5 speed it seems that 1:st gear is kinda the weak link on those boxes, so no burnouts or standing starts. There are things that can be done to beef them up, billet intermediate plates etc. but they are expensive solutions, and atleast my gearbox (902/1 code) had ratios that werent all that great, the 5th gear was not much of an overdrive anyway so it did not make for a great freeway gear. And new gears to make a custom ratio are again expensive.

I ended up selling mine and getting a quality built swing box, with welded gears and a proper super diff etc.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:39 am    Post subject: Re: beefier trany for 2332 and on engines for bugs?(help) Reply with quote

thank you, would it be better to get a beefed up swing or irs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tobias Bylund
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:22 am    Post subject: Re: beefier trany for 2332 and on engines for bugs?(help) Reply with quote

That would depend on what you want i imagine, and what your car is already set up for, i have a -59 and i am not all that interested in curvetaking abilities, leaning more towards classic cal-look, so i kept mine swing. If you have an early car, and want a better handling street/track car and dont mind a lot of fabrication you could convert to IRS.

I dont think that the box itself is stronger in swing or IRS, but the driveshafts and the joints might be beefier on IRS, or atlest easier to change to something beefier i.e 930 joints and stubaxles.

But there are alot of experienced gearbox builders on here that are infinitely more suited to answer these questions directly, i only repeat what i have learned on here and on other sites. mcmscott, Casting Timmy and Gears are a couple of members that i have learned from. Maybe transfer this topic to the "Performance engines and transmissions" section, to get some more answers.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tobias Bylund
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:38 am    Post subject: Re: beefier trany for 2332 and on engines for bugs?(help) Reply with quote

Also, a 2332 with turbo and injection and a built tranny, is gonna run you 10 grand i would wager, with tuning and auxillaries. That is some serious horsepower, which in turn is going to require serious suspensin and brakes to be somewhat safe.

I saw in your other post that you are a young dude getting started in the VW game, and i know myself that it is easy to shoot for the moon, but i would say start with a NA stroker, that is enough of a challenge to get together, and have stay together more importantly!
If just street driving and not dumping the clutch all the time a stock gearbox with uprated stage 1 pressure plate and a good disc, would hold up a long while and save alot of money.
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:49 am    Post subject: Re: beefier trany for 2332 and on engines for bugs?(help) Reply with quote

thanks, that all sounds good and i will keep all of which you said i mind
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:55 am    Post subject: Re: beefier trany for 2332 and on engines for bugs?(help) Reply with quote

so my plan is to install the volksracer kit on my 1600dp and then when i get my driver permant see if i want the fuel injection kit. plus by then cb performance will probably have a gen-5 kit.

not only would this save me money but it is probably a smarter choice. do you think this is a good idea or do you think their is a smarter option.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: