Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rotary engine kit?
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joeys1969
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:43 am    Post subject: Rotary engine kit? Reply with quote

Can anybody send me a link with where I could get the kit, and maybe pointers on how to do it? I'm gunna make my 74 a sleeeeper. And I have the rotary engine already Shocked
Joeys1969
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: Rotary engine kit???? Reply with quote

Joeys1969 wrote:
Can anybody send me a link with where I could get the kit, and maybe pointers on how to do it? I'm gunna make my 74 a sleeeeper. And I have the rotary engine already Shocked

And please no criticizing I'm doing it whether you like it or not Twisted Evil
JUANPA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What part of fl are you I might got the guy that can tell you and maybe do it for you
He has one
gore666
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://bb.bbboy.net/vwengineconversions-viewthread?forum=1&thread=6&postnum=0

not where you can get the kit but a little more info about it
torsionbar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wankle is terrible. i'll never own a car that uses it.
Joeys1969
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JUANPA wrote:
What part of fl are you I might got the guy that can tell you and maybe do it for you
He has one

I live in Palm Coast about 30 minutes away from Daytona.
Joeys1969
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gore666 wrote:

Thank you I will check it out when I get some time!
gore666
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joeys1969 wrote:
gore666 wrote:

np i got a buddy that was planning on doing this but is now going through a nasty divorce. he said she wants everything but his super and thats ok
he rebuilt his 12A a few months ago and was waiting on funds to buy the conversion plate. were going drinking tomarrow ill ask him where hes getting his conversion plate from
Joel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whatever you're planning on spending, double it cos you're gonna need a really strong trans to hold up, my other beetle was rotary powered and I hate them too.

There is much better engine choices out there, especially to make a sleeper.

It's not gonna be a sleeper with a rotary in it, you cant shut those things up no matter how much you choke them up with exhaust.

You're gonna need a decent oil cooler and a fairly big radiator, they run pretty hot.
Mine had an RX4 rad from memory.
Joeys1969
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gore666 wrote:
Joeys1969 wrote:
gore666 wrote:

np i got a buddy that was planning on doing this but is now going through a nasty divorce. he said she wants everything but his super and thats ok
he rebuilt his 12A a few months ago and was waiting on funds to buy the conversion plate. were going drinking tomarrow ill ask him where hes getting his conversion plate from

Sounds great!
Joeys1969
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joel wrote:
Whatever you're planning on spending, double it cos you're gonna need a really strong trans to hold up, my other beetle was rotary powered and I hate them too.

It's not gonna be a sleeper with a rotary in it, you cant shut those things up no matter how much you choke them up with exhaust.

You're gonna need a decent oil cooler and a fairly big radiator, they run pretty hot.

What do you think the best way to make a sleeper would be? I don't have enough money to rebuild a Vw motor from the inside out....
BugEyed_1978
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rotarys are get but u know them. I am planning on doing the same with my bug as well.
What kinda rotary do u got? Did it come out of a standard or auto 7? If its from an auto and a carbed 12a then u are set.
Cause the autos have a weight that balances them that u need when u use the vw fly wheel where as the standards have it in the
Stock mazda fly wheel (which doesn't work for this) and as far as I've hear the stock trans should be strong enough so long as it isn't already worn out
And be sure that u mix your fuel if plug the oil line on the carb these motors burn oil by design and if
They don't get the oil they need u will dry out the Apex seals (are like piston rings) and cost a S#!t load
To replace
Joel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joeys1969 wrote:
Joel wrote:

What do you think the best way to make a sleeper would be? I don't have enough money to rebuild a Vw motor from the inside out....

If you have a rotary engine already and you like it enough then go with it.
It's been done plenty of times, and if you take your time setting up a cooling that works you'll get cheap horsepower.

I just prefer Subaru engines, staying with the boxer layout keeps that low center of gravity which helps handling and they have a nice smooth refined behavior, plus with the right exhaust they even sound like an aircooled VW.

Even fuel injected rotaries are cantankerous ropey behaved motors which make a shitload of power but are so thirsty.

I was more just saying they are so noisy and distinctive sounding that everyone knows there is a rotary in it, - no good for a sleeper.
morymob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Owned an '74 R-4 wagon , carb(big one 2), 4 sp and was blast to drive also one of the good engine ones. Lots of rotary engines ruined by owners not taking time to learn the basic differences and must do maint. ALL use oil, period, this u need to take into account ifu use one, a best of 1200-1500 mi per qt. Why, there is an injection pump in front of eng that meters oil (from crankcase) into carb which mixes with the gas for rotor seal lube and needs to be checked at times for correct feed and is adjustable. DO NOT scrimp on oil cooler, a dinky one which may work on an air cooled will not do. An oil pump in engine circulates the oil thru cooler and thru rotors,very imp as they are the 'pistons' of this engine and do get hot,low flow/cooling will drastically shorten seal life possibly galling apex housings. If u look at hose dia u need to keep the size and i would try to pick up a stock one and know it's correct.I would recommend a tac as u can't tell by sound etc about where the rpms are and they rev very fast and to some hi rpms.A stock rad not that large but would be correct size, has more levels of passages, after mkt of same const should work.Std fly wheel/Balanced, a must.mpg20-22.
Jordan16
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:47 am    Post subject: Re: Rotary engine kit? Reply with quote

Wondering if someone could help,
I’m looking to do the rotary swap but it’s hard for me to get my hands on a complete rx7 13b engine with the auxiliary’s. Would it be possible to use the rx8 6 port. I think I have the right thinking there virtually the same as the rx7 model just extra ports and more power. Also I’ve seen people run the two aux belts, if I get the alternator remounted can I run a single or would I still need the two?

Thanks a lot,
Jordan
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: Rotary engine kit? Reply with quote

Jordan16 wrote:
I’m looking to do the rotary swap but it’s hard for me to get my hands on a complete rx7 13b engine with the auxiliary’s. Would it be possible to use the rx8 6 port. I think I have the right thinking there virtually the same as the rx7 model just extra ports and more power. Also I’ve seen people run the two aux belts, if I get the alternator remounted can I run a single or would I still need the two?

Thanks a lot,
Jordan

I dont know, but you may get some more replies if you post your question in the performance section of the samba forums.

you might also get some info from the makers of conversion parts. Kennedy Engineering is one such company, they make the engine to tranny adaptor parts. they might have a lot of good info as to what will work for you

link...

https://www.kennedyeng.com

Good Luck, Bug On, pistons or rotors, its all good in a Bug!

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
Bashr52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joeys1969 wrote:
Joel wrote:

Subie...
Jordan16
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Rotary engine kit? Reply with quote

bluebus86 wrote:
Jordan16 wrote:

Thanks a lot,
Jordan

I dont know, but you may get some more replies if you post your question in the performance section of the samba forums.

you might also get some info from the makers of conversion parts. Kennedy Engineering is one such company, they make the engine to tranny adaptor parts. they might have a lot of good info as to what will work for you

link...

https://www.kennedyeng.com

Good Luck, Bug On, pistons or rotors, its all good in a Bug!

Brilliant thanks a lot, I’ve done some reading in the rx8 motors seems to be just the internala that have changed and the movement of the ports, but I’ll give the guys at Kenady an email as illl be getting my adaptor plate from them, thanks again
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: