Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26 ... 44, 45, 46  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:34 am    Post subject: Re: John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958 Reply with quote

Making the most of the clear autumn days to drive our local narrow by-ways with the obligatory photo-stops.

This is my current favourite picture, probably because it's not a viewpoint I take very often. The beautiful swoop of the lowlight front wing usually gets all the attention but this view accentuates the moulding of that beautiful extended rear wing and the roofline from any direction is just perfect.

I remember someone saying black tends to hide the subtle shapes of the Ghia; I would say the very opposite. Black reflects light so well all the nuances of the styling are shown in the graduated shading.

Needless to say sometimes I get the car out of the garage just to look at it but driving it is an extra treat Smile

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
70 140
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:18 am    Post subject: Re: John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958 Reply with quote

Still a great looking Ghia.
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:24 am    Post subject: Re: John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958 Reply with quote

70 140 wrote:
Still a great looking Ghia.

Thanks Erik...the Ghia forum misses you. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
70 140
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:55 am    Post subject: Re: John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958 Reply with quote

I'm always lurking. I've been waiting for you to start your drop spindle install. I see the car now sports LED bulbs, so I feel like we're getting close Laughing
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:50 am    Post subject: Re: John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958 Reply with quote

70 140 wrote:
I'm always lurking. I've been waiting for you to start your drop spindle install. I see the car now sports LED bulbs, so I feel like we're getting close Laughing

Naaa...10 years on and my views are more entrenched than ever. Wink
70 140
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 6:26 am    Post subject: Re: John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958 Reply with quote

I'm not sure the 2007 John Moxon would have been ok with light emitting diodes on a lowlight Shocked

In all seriousness the car continues to look better than when you first brought it over - maintaining its character is what makes your car special. Your photo backdrops don't hurt either.
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 6:58 am    Post subject: Re: John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958 Reply with quote

70 140 wrote:
I'm not sure the 2007 John Moxon would have been ok with light emitting diodes on a lowlight Shocked

That Erik was driven by practicality and a near miss early in my ownership, involving 6 volt lighting in bright daylight. I was heading for The Channel Tunnel (and the Hessisch Oldendorf Show) on the motorway. Came to a busy intersection where I had to take the right fork, I signalled my right turn in good time but a car to my right turning left couldn't see my turn signal blinking in the bright sunlight. He nearly ran into me. Others in our convoy said they couldn't see my turn signal either.

That made me wary of motorway driving and to be honest I should have changed to LEDs a long time ago. I'm a lot happier now Smile

70 140 wrote:

In all seriousness the car continues to look better than when you first brought it over - maintaining its character is what makes your car special. Your photo backdrops don't hurt either.

Embarassed Thanks...I do feel as the second owner, something of an obligation not to mess with it too much. Betty thankfully is still with us at 92. Smile
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958 Reply with quote

Today was only the second outing for my '58 this year. The weather has either been too wet or cold enough for the roads to be salted so today's sunshine was very welcome.

A local village pond...

bobnorman
Samba Newfoundlander

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:42 am    Post subject: Re: John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958 Reply with quote

Stunning. Shocked

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=289807
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958 Reply with quote

Constant rain has put off my Ghia's 60th birthday celebration on 3rd April until today...two weeks late.
I took a short drive along single track country lanes to St. John's Church, Farley in Hampshire. Fortunately I didn't meet anyone coming the other way on the narrow roads.

djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958 Reply with quote

Absolutely beautiful photos, they almost look like paintings.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aerosilver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958 Reply with quote

Happy birthday! Very Happy
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958 Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
Absolutely beautiful photos, they almost look like paintings.

Dave

Thanks Dave...here's a bit of Photoshop fun from today's pictures...

aerosilver wrote:
Happy birthday! Very Happy

Thanks Russ. Smile
udo dreisoerner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:55 am    Post subject: Re: John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958 Reply with quote

fantastic pics, John. very very nice.
regards from Germany, udo

Laughing john is the BOB ROSS for the lowlight owners Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Canghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:24 am    Post subject: Re: John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958 Reply with quote

If those pictures are taken by a phone, I need to get another phone. The pictures are stunning. They do look like paintings. The lighting is stunning. Great job. Pictures like those inspire me to get my project going again. Mark
Jennepher Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958 Reply with quote

John Moxon wrote:
here's a bit of Photoshop fun from today's pictures...

I love this! Are there different styles of "art" filters in photoshop? It would be neat to see it in impressionist and watercolor too.

If your post begins "I know this is against the rules but..." just stop typing.
sancho58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958 Reply with quote

Let me see happy birthday John always love your pictures let me be the first to say just put together a damn calendar with pictures of your car and I'll take two of them one for the shop and one for my office best regards
Anthony
KGCoupe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958 Reply with quote

John Moxon wrote:
Constant rain has put off my Ghia's 60th birthday celebration on 3rd April until today...two weeks late. ...

What a coincidence - your Ghia's birthday month and day are just one day off from my own.
(It just happens to be five years older.)

I'd be perfectly happy to promise that I'd legally change my birthday to exactly match that of your Ghia should I ever just happen to be officially designated its future caretaker upon your inevitable "resignation". Wink

John Moxon wrote:
... I took a short drive along single track country lanes to St. John's Church, Farley in Hampshire. Fortunately I didn't meet anyone coming the other way on the narrow roads.

Looking GOOD! - It's about time Doctor Who traded in that boxy old blue Police box for a much more curavious Karmann Ghia.

udo dreisoerner wrote:
Laughing john is the BOB ROSS for the lowlight owners Laughing

Laughing Well he certainly has the hair for it, anyway.
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958 Reply with quote

Jennepher wrote:
John Moxon wrote:
here's a bit of Photoshop fun from today's pictures...

I love this! Are there different styles of "art" filters in photoshop? It would be neat to see it in impressionist and watercolor too.

Yes they do have "art" filters Jen but I didn't use them on this picture. I just opened the colour balance box and moved the sliders to get a pleasing aged tone. I don't have a set formula...just whatever suits at the time. The background with all the water stains is one of Adobes free templates they give when you subscribe to Photoshop. I rent the full Photoshop and Lightroom software for a very reasonable monthly payment.

sancho58 wrote:
Let me see happy birthday John always love your pictures let me be the first to say just put together a damn calendar with pictures of your car and I'll take two of them one for the shop and one for my office best regards
Anthony

Thanks Anthony, I'm flattered to think anyone would pay money for my pictures. Wink I have thought of making a Ghia calendar for myself but I think people might find a calendar of 12 pictures of the same black car a little repetitive.

BTW It was my Ghia's birthday...just in case you thought it was mine...my birthday is November. I'll celebrate it with my Ghia although I have a feeling I could be out of the country at that time. Wink
sancho58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958 Reply with quote

John I think if you accommodate your car with beautiful calendar girls I know in my heart you would sell lots of them
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26 ... 44, 45, 46  Next
Jump to:
Page 25 of 46

Jump to: