Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Wiring disaster
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stansell17
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:11 am    Post subject: Wiring disaster Reply with quote

Hey guys I bought a 74 beetle a few weeks ago and put in new headlights. When I turn the blinkers on the headlights dim very faintly. The wiring harness is absolutely horrifying and I am looking for some help on finding a schematics for the harness, maybe a hard copy or something I could print out would be extremely helpful!
sokyjeepster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: Wiring disaster Reply with quote

Dim lights are usually a result of a poor ground...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ps2375
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: Wiring disaster Reply with quote

Look at the header directly under the words "TheSamba.Com", follow that over to "Technical" and follow that to "Wiring".
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: Wiring disaster Reply with quote

Here you go......

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/wiringt1.php

Good Luck

PS Purchase a Bentely Official VW Service Manual. The Orange Book will be correct for your Bug.....

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2110730

Bug On!

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: Wiring disaster Reply with quote

Follow the link bluebus86 posted to view the T1 wiring diagrams. Go down to the ‘74 model year and download the file. You can view them, print them... or even take the file to your nearest printing store (eg. Kinkos?) and have them print and laminate the image on a larger sheet of paper like A1 sized paper.

Unfortunately the more recent Bentley Orange service manuals did away with the colored wiring diagrams and show them as B&W (actually grey scale) with color acronyms for each wire. I much prefer the colored diagrams on this site.

If you have trouble reading the ‘73-later wiring diagrams you can print the ‘72 Beetle+SB wiring diagram. It should be about 75% the same. The biggest difference is that the ‘74-‘75 Beetles came with a large Interlock relay which locked out the starter until all seatbelts were buckled. If you or the PO have removed the Interlock relay you may want to wire your car more like the ‘72.

BTW, your headlights pulsing when you have your turn signals ON is a sign your grounds are bad. Clean up all wiring connections paying special attention to brown wires that connect to ground. Make sure these have a clean connection. Wire brush both the connector and the spot on the body where they connect.
The biggest problem with a 40yr old car that still has its original wiring is that ALL exposed connections will need cleaning to restore the original wiring resistance. Left as is, there is greater resistance down each circuit path which reduces the current that makes it to the end of the circuit.
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiring disaster Reply with quote

Hey guys I bought a 74 beetle a few weeks ago and put in new headlights.

Clean every ground connection you can find. Obtain a dremel tool with the small wire wheel. Make them all bright and shiny. Disconnect the battery and clean the all of the fuse connections also. Oh boy stuff will work even better.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
CWAVE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiring disaster Reply with quote

Here you go.

Everything you'd ever want to know about your VW, including wiring!

VW.Workshop.Manuals.Complete.1969-1976
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1gRAruyQ0kgPByWlIiot63_60L4QRalsB

VW.Workshop.Manuals.Complete.1969-1976 ZIPPED
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1H9uKNbDgqHx3DnxomZIb84zWzJcXYoKu

CWAVE

Stansell17 wrote:
Hey guys I bought a 74 beetle a few weeks ago and put in new headlights. When I turn the blinkers on the headlights dim very faintly. The wiring harness is absolutely horrifying and I am looking for some help on finding a schematics for the harness, maybe a hard copy or something I could print out would be extremely helpful!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Busdriver79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: Wiring disaster Reply with quote

The wiring in my 71 Super Beetle was a total disaster when I bought it...I removed every single inch of wiring with cutting pliers and chucked them in the trash can...I'll be wiring the entire car from scratch...the engine and charging system will be first, with the ign. switch to be mounted on the tunnel...everything else will be wired, lights, wipers, turn signals and stop lights, with a modern fuse box under the front lid...nothing fancy, just functional...I may even use a toggle switch and a push button for starting the engine, with the ign. switch to deter theft...I've done this many times an many different vehicles with great success.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: