Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration)
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 28, 29, 30  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration) Reply with quote

scrivyscriv wrote:
Well, if this make sure you feel any better, i installed some two piece pushrod tubes when i first built my engine, against a couple folks recommendations. I had to pull the engine out and take off both heads they were leaking so badly. In the process of fixing that mistake, i pulled a head stud, and my bus sat on jack stands for about a month while i tried to fix all the issues i made for myself.

I mention the bearings because I’ve rebuilt an older AL78 alternator two years ago, and remembered the bearings being easy and relatively cheap. There’s not much to go wrong in a Bosch AL78 or AL82; change the bearings, spin the rotor with emory cloth on the commutator, and make sure the brushes are good and voltage output is stable.

I stole the rear bearing out of my old alternator because it was smooth and spun freely. The front bearing, I wasn't willing to get to. Thank you for the idea.

The alternator is back in, and brutis has a beating heart once again. She can't go anywhere, due to Michigan's copious amounts of salt now on the road, but at least she runs. I do say, I am getting much better and removing and re-installing my alternator. It took me a long time the first time, but I am at the point where I could have it out and have a new one put in in under two hours I bet. With getting tools out and putting them away.
Other cars: 2003 F150, 2003 Jetta GLI vr6-6sp

Sambastic: adj; the quality of being nit picky, elitist, expecting everyone to do things the way they believe is best with no regard to situation, "sambastic"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration) Reply with quote

So santa came early this year for our family, and brutis must have gotten a hold of my Christmas list. Because he scored New front wheel bearing kits and drag link. Hopefully everything fits and works well, though I won't know how it works for quite some time... snow and salt... I worked in this last week:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

And the new parts from airhead parts

Sambastic: adj; the quality of being nit picky, elitist, expecting everyone to do things the way they believe is best with no regard to situation, "sambastic"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration) Reply with quote

Regarding new drag links:

They are only adjustable by full turn increments. If the threads have not been started in the same place as the OG drag link you may find that the new drag link throws off the alignment. BTDT I got the alignment back with two adjustable tie rods.

Aloha
tp
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration) Reply with quote

I hope this one is started at the right place. Because I just replaced my tie rods this fall, and the one is not adjustable. I bet I could bend it a little to get it right though... it would only need at most 1/4 inch... I don't want to do that though.

Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration) Reply with quote

Spike0180 wrote:
I hope this one is started at the right place. Because I just replaced my tie rods this fall, and the one is not adjustable. ...

I would assume that the threads of the new drag link and the OG drag link are not started in the same place. For a camper with an early bay steering box this will cause the the wheels to be turned either left or right when the steering wheel spokes are level and the steering box is centered on the high spot. This will necessitate an alignment correction. I used two new adjustable tie rods to get the wheels straight, the steering wheel spokes level, and the steering box centered on the high spot. I also used a curtain rod to check toe in.

You can avoid headaches by keeping the OG drag link.

Aloha
tp
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration) Reply with quote

Tom Powell wrote:
Spike0180 wrote:
I hope this one is started at the right place. Because I just replaced my tie rods this fall, and the one is not adjustable. ...

I would assume that the threads of the new drag link and the OG drag link are not started in the same place. For a camper with an early bay steering box this will cause the the wheels to be turned either left or right when the steering wheel spokes are level and the steering box is centered on the high spot. This will necessitate an alignment correction. I used two new adjustable tie rods to get the wheels straight, the steering wheel spokes level, and the steering box centered on the high spot. I also used a curtain rod to check toe in.

Aloha
tp

If you decide to use an aftermarket drag link and it causes alignment and steering box problems, you can get the wheels straight and the toe in correct with one more adjustable tie rod and a spring curtain rod. Remove the non adjustable tie rod. Set the replacement tie rod to the same exact length. Install it and check toe in. With the wheels off the ground you should be able to move the steering wheel spokes through level and find the high spot in the steering box. On a test drive on a level street the vehicle should go straight ahead with the steering spokes level. If needed adjust both tie rods equally by 1/2 or 1/4 turns to get the wheels straight.

Keep us posted.

Aloha
tp
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration) Reply with quote

Tom Powell wrote:
Tom Powell wrote:
Spike0180 wrote:

Aloha
tp

If you decide to use an aftermarket drag link and it causes alignment and steering box problems, you can get the wheels straight and the toe in correct with one more adjustable tie rod and a spring curtain rod. Remove the non adjustable tie rod. Set the replacement tie rod to the same exact length. Install it and check toe in. With the wheels off the ground you should be able to move the steering wheel spokes through level and find the high spot in the steering box. On a test drive on a level street the vehicle should go straight ahead with the steering spokes level. If needed adjust both tie rods equally by 1/2 or 1/4 turns to get the wheels straight.

Keep us posted.

Aloha
tp

lol you're determined. It will be some time before I get to work on the van again. I will post about it here when I do. I have a lot of slop in my steering still, I suspect the issue you're talking about won't be a problem yet. But I'm glad to know the issue.

Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration) Reply with quote

We'll it's been cold here... I got to do a little work today though on the sliding door mechanism. And I have some questions. The interior lock, how does it work? Should I be able to open the door from the outside still? What about the inside? ... mine seems to do nothing... and can't figure out how to make it do anything really. But I took it apart and now it doesn't hang halfway down preventing the door handle from working. I haven't re-riveted the backing plate so I'll grad another picture of the inside cleaned up before doing that. But here are some pictures I got. My only guess is that the spring I need for the interior lock is a specialized item, and not really replaceable.

Removing rivets

The guts

Clean parts

Back together

Back on the bus

I don't suggest anyone take this apart really... the double springs on the bottom were a *explicit words here* and I'm not 100% sure how ima re attach the backing plate either, though I have some ideas.

And the other thing I did was last night, for those of you who think 40* is hard to start in, here is a 6*F cold start

Link

ccpalmer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:33 am    Post subject: Re: My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration) Reply with quote

Spike0180 wrote:
The interior lock, how does it work? Should I be able to open the door from the outside still? What about the inside?

The interior lock is independent from the exterior key lock. Thus when the interior lock is locked a key won't open the door from outside. Likewise when the door is locked with a key the interior lock won't work.
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration) Reply with quote

ccpalmer wrote:
Spike0180 wrote:
The interior lock, how does it work? Should I be able to open the door from the outside still? What about the inside?

The interior lock is independent from the exterior key lock. Thus when the interior lock is locked a key won't open the door from outside. Likewise when the door is locked with a key the interior lock won't work.

Good, that was the only solution I could find. Although I still need to calibrate mine better, because my interior lock wasn't locking the exterior door handle when I tested it before it was installed. I didn't check after install, but I have low expectations.

Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration) Reply with quote

IT WORKS! I checked the interior lock last night while running the engine for a bit, and it worked perfect! Very Happy I'll do a little write up here on how the "spring" keeps that interior lock in place with the proper resistance. Than show how I manage to re-seal the backing plate... still pondering that one.

Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:20 pm    Post subject: Re: My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration) Reply with quote

I haven't had much time to work on the van, but it was cold again and someone on YouTube requested a cold start from the inside, so here that is.

Link
[/youtube]

It keeps inverting my video... idk I'm going to bed.

Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration) Reply with quote

Not much has been done to the van itself. But Bruits does have a nice new home. Very Happy
She drove great on the 5 mile hike to the new house, but I definitely messed up my dashboard when I was installing my tach. I used a hot wire for my ground Embarassed because I'm dumb Embarassed , I knew what I did immediately. But it was too late for some damage to be done already. I did check my alternator and that is charging fine still, so I hopefully didn't do too much damage.

He also did his part and moved a van-full of stuff, like a champ.

airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration) Reply with quote

Awww yeah dude, congrats on the new place!

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration) Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
Awww yeah dude, congrats on the new place!

Robbie

Thanks, Brutis looked at home in that garage immediately.

Btw, I have a fairly beat up car cover for free if anyone wants to pay shipping for it. And does anyone knkw what the "pay it forward" thread is called? I looked for a while without luck.

Bagger04
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration) Reply with quote

Congrats on the new home for you and the bus
ccpalmer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration) Reply with quote

Congrats. Looks like you could fit a Westy through that garage door! Very Happy
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration) Reply with quote

ccpalmer wrote:
Congrats. Looks like you could fit a Westy through that garage door! Very Happy

Or a roof rack!

Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:39 pm    Post subject: Re: My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration) Reply with quote

Autorama happened in Detroit this past weekend. If you've never been, it's pretty great. Lots of very impressive car builds. I had 2 friends come up from Cincinnati to visit my new house, go to autorama, and experience bussing for the first time. We started our day by eating some delicious eggs, and showering. Ready for the day we quickly adjusted the valves. A couple valves were slightly loose
(.007-.008), and both on cylinder 1 were slightly tight (.005 to varying degrees). I started the drive with an embarrassing stall at my first stop sign Embarassed but it was smooth sailing after that.

After the engine was warm I handing the wheel over to my childhood friend, and he was giggling like a school boy at recess.

It was a great feeling to get to see my passion make someone so happy. I directed him to wheelie Pete's place, where we picked up wheelie pete and his friends Alex and Dale (?). That makes 6 in the van, the most I've had to date. We spent hours at autorama! That place is great! But after 4 hours of walking around, we were tired and hungry and all the muscle cars start looking the same. So we headed over to a favorite local brewery for some killer food and beer.

On our way to the brewery I got a quote from my buddy in the back seat "man! I've been living my life wrong. I got a dog, and thought 'this will get me chicks' but no luck. Then I got a challenger, and thought 'this will get me chicks but no luck. I SHOULD HAVE GOTTEN ONE OF THESE! I've never gotten this much attention." Lol

We dropped back off Alex at wheelie Pete's place to pick up his Tacoma and headed home to unload a huge dresser that my wife had gotten. Then go out for dinner with my buddies other Detroit friend.at this point we put the van away tucked nicely in the garage for the night. Another picture from the day.

Hikelite
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration) Reply with quote

Spike0180 wrote:
On our way to the brewery I got a quote from my buddy in the back seat "man! I've been living my life wrong. I got a dog, and thought 'this will get me chicks' but no luck. Then I got a challenger, and thought 'this will get me chicks but no luck. I SHOULD HAVE GOTTEN ONE OF THESE! I've never gotten this much attention." Lol

lol Laughing

My 1968 Campmobile
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 28, 29, 30  Next
Jump to:
Page 24 of 30

Jump to: