Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My new baby! Auction of fake 23-Window Bus
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 32, 33, 34  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
nestbedding
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:56 pm    Post subject: My new baby! Auction of fake 23-Window Bus Reply with quote

This past weekend at Mecum's in Pomona I was the lucky winner of this gorgeous 1959 23 window. Finally, after years of wishing, hoping, wanting...I am a 23 window owner!

https://youtu.be/lvlanU3HqGM?t=7h8m45s the video starts with the bus rolling onto the auction block and the back and forth bidding.

She needs some minor things but she has the semaphores in working condition, her original tiny engine and most all logo glass. She needs to go into the shop for some minor stuff but expect to see her in the coming months!

Someone at the auction mentioned trying to buy this particular bus a few years ago so by all means if you know anything about it feel free to comment. It was missing it's body tag, which I assume was on purpose, but it did come with birth certificate which made me feel reassured.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by nestbedding on Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:14 pm; edited 2 times in total
TheVintageVw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:13 pm    Post subject: Re: My new baby! Reply with quote

Amazing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:47 pm    Post subject: Re: My new baby! Reply with quote

looks pretty from here

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:16 pm    Post subject: Re: My new baby! Reply with quote

Congrats!
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:28 am    Post subject: Re: My new baby! Reply with quote

Nice, I think with your birth certificate you can get a replacement tag. Others will know more as I have mine.

I've never seen this auction, who did the build do they give you that information prior to bidding?

www.mauiroadsters.com
http://www.oacdp.org
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SingleWheel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: My new baby! Reply with quote

Congrats!!! Very nice bus, but shouldn't it have just blade bumpers, not overriders. What is the import country on the birth certificate?
zuggbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: My new baby! Reply with quote

congratulations
iamdonquixote
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: My new baby! Reply with quote

post any other pics when you get a chance.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nestbedding
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: My new baby! Reply with quote

No clue on the build, sadly. It went to auction through a used car dealer in Perris, Ca, but when I called them they basically blew me off.
The birth certificate calls for that bumper package so it should be correct.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: My new baby! Reply with quote

I'm curious:
When say body tag, do you mean the M-code plate behind the passenger front seat or the VIN tag in the engine compartment?

Weird for an LA-delivered Bus to have semaphores but a USA/N. American Bus would normally have bumper overrriders and the other options listed there.
Except for the reverse lights, that is for 67s.
The birth certificates often include things that were for later Buses.

Yes, post some more pics, people might recognize it better with more details.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ronjonlasvegas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: My new baby! Reply with quote

Congratulations on your purchase, it looks like a very nicely done restoration. Your bus should not have semaphores, as it was originally delivered to the US. US spec buses in 1959 came with bullet front turn signals and no semaphores. The bumpers you have with the over riders are correct.
nestbedding
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: My new baby! Reply with quote

Will post some more pics later today. I know, I was shocked to see semaphores too but there they are!

It doesn't have the tag in the engine compartment nor one behind the seat.
nestbedding
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: My new baby! Reply with quote

Ok Samba Community, the plot thickens.....

No body tags made me very suspicious. But the VIN on the frame and the Birth Certificate lined up. However...

When I arrived at the auction, this bus was pictured https://www.mecum.com/lots/AN1116-274420/1959-volkswagen-23-window-bus/ but the white and red was there. When I questioned their staff, they called and had the pics taken off the site but said they didn't know why. Now when I scroll through the photos of the old auction, the interior is EXACTLY my interior. What I mean is not the upholstery but the stickers on the dash, the gear ship handle, those things are all still inside the bus, and the semaphores! Do I smell a rat? How can the birth certificate say one thing and the bus be another?
ronjonlasvegas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: My new baby! Reply with quote

The sad news is that restoration shops fake 23 window buses all the time. They buy tags off rust bucket real 23 window buses that are too far gone to restore and then buy a panel bus or a kombi bus and cut out and weld in vin numbers. The shops when order the birth certificate to show it is the real deal and restore the panel bus or kombi and add all the windows and sunroof. You have to understand that there is a huge difference in price between a restored panel bus and a restored 23 window bus.

I am not saying this is what happened with your bus, but the lack of tags makes me really suspicious. You need to post a lot of photos and dug up any history you can on this bus and the experts on here will help you sort out what you have.
azbob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: My new baby! Reply with quote

Quote:
Ok Samba Community, the plot thickens.....

No body tags made me very suspicious. But the VIN on the frame and the Birth Certificate lined up. However...

When I arrived at the auction, this bus was pictured https://www.mecum.com/lots/AN1116-274420/1959-volkswagen-23-window-bus/ but the white and red was there. When I questioned their staff, they called and had the pics taken off the site but said they didn't know why. Now when I scroll through the photos of the old auction, the interior is EXACTLY my interior. What I mean is not the upholstery but the stickers on the dash, the gear ship handle, those things are all still inside the bus, and the semaphores! Do I smell a rat? How can the birth certificate say one thing and the bus be another?

The site is flagged for phishing as well.
nestbedding
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: My new baby! Reply with quote

The frame is stamped and all the numbers line up with the birth certificate so I am not overly worried. I just spoke with the shop who put in the auction and they put me in touch with Octavio's VW Restoration who did the work. They said the owner was very meticulous and did the research and had it restored to the birth certificate specs. He is going to put me in touch with the previous owner so that is better. Still want to know why a 59 being shipped to LA would have semaphores. I LOVE semaphores and that was a real treat to get though
easy e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: My new baby! Reply with quote

nestbedding wrote:
But the VIN on the frame ...
Does your number on the "Identification Plate" match the "Chassis Number?"
Pic please of that area if you have time...

Last edited by easy e on Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:07 am; edited 1 time in total
Okie Adam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: My new baby! Reply with quote

I don't think the I.D. plate exists on the bus
62 Single Cab
66 21window
67 so42
76 Westy
64 Karmann Ghia
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nestbedding
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: My new baby! Reply with quote

No plates in the motor compartment, no plate behind the seat. The VIN definitely is stamped correctly and worn so there is no funkiness with that.
nestbedding
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: My new baby! Reply with quote

https://www.mecum.com/lots/AN1116-274420/1959-volkswagen-23-window-bus/ No need to post a bunch of photos...THIS is my bus here and lots of photos posted there. I just got off the phone with the owner who said when he bought it it was brown on top and had those bumpers. He said he got the birth certificate off the VIN and restored it to how it was listed on the certificate.

Starting to suspect maybe someone did weld in a VIN...the semaphores are making me wonder that. It had a sticker over a hole in the dash for a missing emergency flasher light. All orig 6v and correct motor.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 32, 33, 34  Next
Jump to:
Page 1 of 34

Jump to: