Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Who has a Muir?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Who has a Muir? Reply with quote

calvinater wrote:
how do used book stores not break the law ?

In case you're being serious, it's because they aren't creating new copies of the old books to sell, rather, they are reselling the originals printed by the publisher.
Jrm1080
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Who has a Muir? Reply with quote

calvinater wrote:
how do used book stores not break the law ?

They’re not reproducing copies. Just reselling old ones.

•’67 Type I mostly original semi daily driver (temperature permitting 🔥☀️)
•’74 Type I work in progress.
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Who has a Muir? Reply with quote

here's one. It is legal to xerox copies of books at a public library. Heck I have copied entire repair manuals that way, with the Xerox machine in the library. Did simular for school projects.

I have several nice binder copies of VW manuals from library sources.. All legal, fair use, But I cant legal sell these manuals I copied. I believe I can give them away, but I cant sell them.

Bug On, All You Book Worms!

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
viiking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:32 am    Post subject: Re: Who has a Muir? Reply with quote

Sorry to hijack this post but I just cut up my Bentley into a thousand pieces. Really - Yes and No!

I bought a brand new copy and know that I am a grub with getting grease and oil all over the place, so I decided I would deconstruct the whole book. I had the equipment and time to do this, so it was more of an exercise of proving it can be done rather than to save money.

Here is the method I followed if anyone is interested.

I cut the inner book cover (the hard covers) away from the first blank page with an exacto knife/stanley knife/razor blade. It must be sharp.

This exposes the spine of the book where all of the stitching holds the book together.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The pages of the book are held in groups of say 50 pages or so. Each group is like an exercise book and all are glued together at the spine of the book with some pretty hard glue.

I pulled apart each set of "books" taking care to keep them in order. Unfortunately I don't have a photo of this step.

I now had the whole manual in pieces, but not in a way I could use it. I needed all the pages in A4 size (i.e. a single double sided sheet of paper) but each group of pages making up the book was in fact a double page i.e. an A3. These needed to be cut.

Each page could be cut apart separately, but this would probably be quite time consuming and unlikely to give uniform pages. Luckily my wife likes to make greeting cards and she has a very nice paper guillotine. This made very short work of cutting the double page into two singles. I could do them in full books of 50 plus pages by just cutting the folded edge of the books with one cut right at the edge thereby separating all of the pages. Of course you had to be careful to keep everything in order but this is relatively easy if you think about it and keep to a system.

As I wanted both a hard copy and a soft copy I could refer to in my garage on an old computer, I scanned each page of the manual. Luckily our work scanner could do double sided scanning and with some simple free software, you could end up with a pdf of what you scanned. I decided to scan each Chapter as per the Bentley into a separate pdf. Now I have a soft copy of the hard copy book.

Finally I took each page I had cut out from the manual and laminated each one and then spiral bound each set of pages into a number of manuals. Now I can be as messy as I like and I know that a simple wipe with a cloth will bring the manual back to new condition.

Finally because my eyes are not as good as they used to be and I have a complete rewire going to happen on my body off restoration I had the wiring diagram page blown up and printed on the biggest laminated page I could. I think it was an A0 size - about 60" x 30" or so. Now that diagram sits in the garage and i don't have to squint and look at the small drawing in the Bentley. The ruler is 18" just for scale.

Hope this may help someone. Yes I know it's a lot of work, but I have a long resto in front of me.

Bob Loblaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: Who has a Muir? Reply with quote

When I was in high school I took one of those aptitude tests, and one of the top career options for me was bookbinder. This was late '70s. I scoffed at the idea then, but now I'm thinking that maybe I missed my calling......

Great job! Too bad I can't buy one. Maybe if you gave away the book, but sold the laminating process.....?
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: Who has a Muir? Reply with quote

Bob Loblaw wrote:
When I was in high school I took one of those aptitude tests, and one of the top career options for me was bookbinder. This was late '70s. I scoffed at the idea then, but now I'm thinking that maybe I missed my calling......

Great job! Too bad I can't buy one. Maybe if you gave away the book, but sold the laminating process.....?

If one where to buy an original book, new or used, then one can have that book rebinded anyway they want, do it your self or pay someone to do it for you. That rebinded book can legally be sold. No copy right infringement in doing that.

The problem of infringement would occur if copies where made of the original, then sold.

Golly all them episodes of Perry Mason are coming back to me.

Bug On, I Rest My Case Your Honor!

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: Who has a Muir? Reply with quote

Great news they are doing the wiring diagram in color again. Buddy of my mine picked this up yesterday at estate sale, it’s an older copy but in good condition for 10 bucks. Thanks man.

bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Who has a Muir? Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
Great news they are doing the wiring diagram in color again. Buddy of my mine picked this up yesterday at estate sale, it’s an older copy but in good condition for 10 bucks. Thanks man.

Based on the $24.95 list price on the cover, that's a old edition, same as what I have owned for maybe 20 years or more. Mine has color diagrams.

EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Who has a Muir? Reply with quote

To clarify some things as I don't want anyone to get confused.

Just because you don't sell something doesn't mean you can copy it legally.
Can I go buy a book, copy the whole thing 10 times and give it to 10 friends for free legally? No.
Can I buy a copyrighted book, scan the whole thing into a PDF, and put it online for free for anyone to read? No.

"Fair use" has specific meanings that can be googled and do not involve an entire book.
Read about it.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
viiking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:53 am    Post subject: Re: Who has a Muir? Reply with quote

I wonder how many people would find it totally acceptable to pirate a book or a song but be disgusted when a felon steals his VW's hubcaps.

No difference. It's theft.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:50 am    Post subject: Re: Who has a Muir? Reply with quote

Here is a "Proper" Muir Book.......

I had a first issue but back about 1978 or so I lent it to a friend.........

This is a newer 75 reprint.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: