Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Resurrection of Manillia Vanilla
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
William Miller
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:05 am    Post subject: Resurrection of Manillia Vanilla Reply with quote

Im helping my uncle resurrect his 1966 Karmann Ghia Vert.

I have plenty of experience with Bugs and a few 911's

I'm looking for a project "Mentor" to help guide us and help us avoid many of the typical pitfalls in this type of project.

The car is in really good shape and our goal is to make it a really nice almost stock driver.

Its a one owner car that will be passed down.
We are not looking to make it an absolutly correct concourse car. (I've done that and the budget is not there for it.)

I've sorted out the engine and am in the final steps of a 12v conversion.
Brakes are all new with replaced hard lines.
Driven it for about 45 min with no issues.

I am near Germantown Maryland and also a long member of Dorkiphus.

Id love to find someone nearby that loves these cars and can shorten my learning curve.

Once the mechanicals ane electrical are sorted I plan to get the car ready for paint, an new top and interior.

Any help is really appreciated!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by William Miller on Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Resurrection of Manillia Vanilla Reply with quote

Your best "mentor" is right here. Plenty of experts on ghia everything. Keep asking questions and you will get a "range" of responses, pick the ones that match your build.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Resurrection of Manillia Vanilla Reply with quote

Hi William
Welcome to the Samba.
There is a collection of restoration threads in the stickies section that make for good reading. There’s even a list by model year of people who’ve done various levels of restoration. Its a big VW Karmann show and tell. You’re gonna love it

Nicholas

Last edited by sputnick60 on Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Resurrection of Manillia Vanilla Reply with quote

^^^From the guy with one of the best threads on 66 verts anywhere! Too modest. Very Happy
William Miller
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: Resurrection of Manillia Vanilla Reply with quote

Update:
I've got her running!
New Brakes: MC,hard lines, wheel cylinders, shoes and hardware.
Fuel Tank Cleaned...No Rust, just some varnish. Same for fuel lines.
12 volt with alternator conversion 99% All lights working with new bulbs and 12 V relays. Have to do the wiper which is going super speed.
Tie rods, shocks. Balljoints were replaced with low miles.
POR on floor pans with very few pinholes in a few places in the back (Otherwise solid)

Driven it about 10 miles on a few diffeent trips with the top down. NOT BAD!
Getting ready to drop the engine and get things stripped off for body work and paint.

First question: It has a low mileage and cleaned Solex 30/31 carb that seems ok after cleaning. I had already purchased an EMPI Stock 30Pict-1-115 air,120 main,55 idle installed.
The carb on the engine was installed in the late 80's and had the 12v choke.

Very different as i see it as the 30/31 has the air bypass for idle air and the 30 doesn't.

Is one better than the other?

You can see some pictured and videos on My Facebook page.
William C Miller Germantown / Darnestown Maryland
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: Resurrection of Manillia Vanilla Reply with quote

Just an FYI, the new carbs available today are generally regarded to be far inferior to the OG carbs.

If you still have your OG, consider sending it out to be rebuilt. You won't regret doing so. They will rebush the throttle shaft and clean it like we at home cannot.

The better rebuilders will make initial adjustments somthat your engine starts almost immediately.

I am sure you know, Ghia's are simply a Beetle chassis with a unique body on it.
The chassis is the same piece for piece.

The VW Beetle forum here is very active and a lot of good advice on the engine can be found there. It is worth your time to visit and learn.

Dave

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
William Miller
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: Resurrection of Manillia Vanilla Reply with quote

Question#2
Is there a source for Factory Specified "Ride Height"

On my 911 there are specifications that indicate a dimension between the height of the centers of the axle to the centers of (If I recall correctly) the centers of the front and rear torsion bars.

For example: On the ROW vehicles, when property loaded and adjusted, the center of the rear torsion bars is the same as the center of the rear axle.
The Euro Ride Height was what the 911 geometry was designed. US Models were raised a little to meet federal bumper heights. (I think)
Adjustments in the rear spring plate are about the same procedure and measuring techniques as on the KG.

I found the spring plate setting angle in the Bentley Shop Manual. (17deg30' +50') but after 60 years it seems it may have sagged a bit. I have not been able to find any specs between the center of the axles and another hard part of the chassis.

I know the front is not adjustable on this car, but Id like to make the relationship between the two close to original.

Looking a little more, with this swing axle, there is a camber specification, Do you dial in the ride height to get the correct camber? I'd still like to have the correct spec. on height based on two hard points...

We plan on a slightly wider wheel (5.5") and slightly wider tire. like a 180-185 x 65 x15. Based on my hours of research here. That seems to be pretty good for a stock look.
Thoughts?
Thanks!

Last edited by William Miller on Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:41 am; edited 1 time in total
William Miller
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: Resurrection of Manillia Vanilla Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
Just an FYI, the new carbs available today are generally regarded to be far inferior to the OG carbs.

If you still have your OG, consider sending it out to be rebuilt. You won't regret doing so. They will rebush the throttle shaft and clean it like we at home cannot.

The better rebuilders will make initial adjustments somthat your engine starts almost immediately.

I am sure you know, Ghia's are simply a Beetle chassis with a unique body on it.
The chassis is the same piece for piece.

The VW Beetle forum here is very active and a lot of good advice on the engine can be found there. It is worth your time to visit and learn.

Dave

Dave

Thanks Dave:
I believe the original carb was a pict-30 with a 6volt choke.
The solex 30/31 on the car is not original and has a different method for idle air control than the original.

I already had the new in the box EMPI carb which I think is supposed to be a copy of the 30PICT-1

Is the original design a better situation than the 30/31?
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: Resurrection of Manillia Vanilla Reply with quote

Still no pics?
It sounds like you are building a fairly stock original style build. You may want to locate an original solex carb. Much better than a brand new EMPI.
William Miller
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Resurrection of Manillia Vanilla Reply with quote

c21darrel wrote:
Still no pics?
It sounds like you are building a fairly stock original style build. You may want to locate an original solex carb. Much better than a brand new EMPI.

Thanks Darrel
Maybe I should rephrase the question:
Is the Solex H30/31 PICT an improvement over the original Solex 30 PICT-1 that was on the car when delivered from the factory.
The engine is otherwise a stock 1300.
Thanks!

BTW, I have a lot of pictures on my android phone.
It seems like a chore to get them over here.
Is there an easy way to do it?
William Miller
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Resurrection of Manillia Vanilla Reply with quote

Here Ya Go

jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Resurrection of Manillia Vanilla Reply with quote

William Miller wrote:
Im helping my uncle resurrect his 1966 Karmann Ghia Vert.

I have plenty of experience with Bugs and a few 911's

I'm looking for a project "Mentor" to help guide us and help us avoid many of the typical pitfalls in this type of project.

The car is in really good shape and our goal is to make it a really nice almost stock driver.

Its a one owner car that will be passed down.
We are not looking to make it an absolutly correct concourse car. (I've done that and the budget is not there for it.)

All I can say is that I wish we were neighbors. We could revive our Ghias together.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: Resurrection of Manillia Vanilla Reply with quote

I was following your thoughts on carb choice, thought this may shed some light for you.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=185095
William Miller
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Resurrection of Manillia Vanilla Reply with quote

c21darrel wrote:
I was following your thoughts on carb choice, thought this may shed some light for you.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=185095

Thank you very much!
Just what i was looking for.
I could have spent many hours searching for this.
Lots of info on this site. Thank you for helping me save a bunch of time.

I think i'll stick with the solex 30/31 for now.
It actually seems to run very well with it,but its been since 1982 that I drove my '68 Bettle. Its hard to know what to expect from the 1300 since I have little experience with one that's been sorted out.

I'm going to do a check on the vac. and timing advance just to make sure i'm not leaving something on the table.

Thanks again!

Getting the car ready for paint. I pulled the top off it today.
William Miller
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Resurrection of Manillia Vanilla Reply with quote

Just Painted!
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Resurrection of Manillia Vanilla Reply with quote

WOW, I think your Manilla Vanilla just turned Manila Yella. Looks great.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Resurrection of Manillia Vanilla Reply with quote

Nice!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Resurrection of Manillia Vanilla Reply with quote

William, you're doing a fine job with the Ghia! Please keep us updated, along with photos.

As to camber: The "blue" Robert Bentley official factory-authorized repair manual for '66 thru '69 Type 1 specifies the swingaxle rear suspension trailing arms ("spring plates") have an unloaded drop angle of 17 degrees, 30 minutes with tolerance to 18 deg. 20 min. from horizontal. The rear camber thereby is 2 deg. 30 min. +/- 1 degree. Minimum camber is 0. Trailing arm angle is adjusted by a combination of rotating the torsion bar itself and the trailing arm on its outer end. The torsion bar has 40 splines on the inner end and 44 on the outer end.

Just like early 911's, the Ghia has the round body access hole for the rear torsion bars so that you can pull out the bar if needed with the body on the chassis. The cover for the hole only goes back in one position. Hopefully the cover on your Ghia is still present and not closed over with body filler, which is common practice for inexperienced body shops during rust or body damage repairs.

Front camber is 0 deg. 30 min. with tolerance of +/- 20 min. with wheels pointed straight ahead, and tire pressures correctly adjusted. Max. variation between front wheel camber is 30 min. You adjust the camber using the large excenter nut at the upper ball joint.

12 volt windshield wiper: You have several choices.
a. Buy a voltage drop device to drop the body system 12V down to the wiper motor's 6V. Disadvantage is that the device is a heat sink which heats up the area behind the cardboard trunk liner/wiring cover.
b. Buy a 12V conversion wiper motor armature from Wolfsburg West that fits into your 6V original motor. Unfortunately my crap computer op system is too old so that the WW site does not come up. This conversion is a simple replacement you can easily do yourself for one of the common types of 6V wiper motors; will work with one brand but not the other- can't remember which, but the site explains it (e.g., Bosch or SWF?). I installed one of those on my '64 Ghia Coupe over 20 yrs ago and it was straight-forward. Ended up with a single wiper speed approx. midway between a 12V's low and high speed.
c. On my '64 Ghia Cabrio I utilized the entire 12V wiper assembly (brackets linkages, 2-speed motor) from a '70 Ghia parts car. It was a nearly straight-forward replacement on which the wiper blade shafts came through the same body hole locations. I only had to slightly bend the vertical cowl body brace to clear the wiper body. This conversion maintained the 2 wiper motor speeds. It has worked well for over 30 years where I've had the car. The '70 wiper motor had the "breadloaf" housing shape like your 6V. The later "round housing" 12V motor and bracketry won't fit as easily.
William Miller
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:07 am    Post subject: Re: Resurrection of Manillia Vanilla Reply with quote

Thanks Rome
I have experience with 80's era 911's with torsion bars. Although they have IRS and not swing axles, the indexing of the torsion bars is about the same. I've done it several times and understand the process.

I do not have any previous experience with a KG but owned a '86 Beetle back in the early 80's.

What I'm really searching for is: Is there a specification for the factory or optimum ride height for the rear.

I've done a lot of searching and can't seem to find it.
I have the book.
I understand the concepts.

Because it is a swing axle, is the optimum height when the camber is in the correct range?

If so, that can be measured without taking apart the spring plates.
It would be nice if there was a known height comparing the center of the axle to the torsion bar tube or the body.

I found something that compaired the hubcap to the moulding on the side of the car.

It seems to me that the back of the car is sagging a bit. It was stored on jack stands for 20+ years.

Lots of info on the samba, but it seems like everyone is trying to lower the front or make other modifications for styling reasons.

I just want it to drive correctly!

Next: I bought some new wheels from JBUGS.
They are 5.5x15 with about 3-3/4" backspacing.

They look pretty good, but I'm considering a little wider tire than stock.
Maybe 185/70/15.
Whats the best way to find someone with a STOCK setup and that might have this wheel/Tire combo?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: