Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Frankenstein Door Sills - should I just start cutting?
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sofia74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 4:18 pm    Post subject: Frankenstein Door Sills - should I just start cutting? Reply with quote

Separated body and chassis. Just starting to strip paint beginning with the door sills and heater channels since they obviously need replacing. Finding some interesting metal work but not completely sure what I am looking at.
Important note: my first attempt at restoration. 1974 KG coupe.

This first picture is drivers side. Question - is this stock? I am looking at the spot welds. Disregard for now the rusted out heater channels. Smile

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Two rows of spot welds. I can see the original orange (yes it has a different name but it looks orange to me) and I can see the red respray.

The next two photo are the passenger side:

There is the orange on the inner rows of spot welds. Looking somewhat original. And then what appears to be a second skin placed over the outer rocker panel and welded on. Not sure it comes through in these photos but there was quite a bit of filler.

Clearly this is not original. I am interested in what smarter folks think I'm dealing with. If there is an additional rocker panel skin it is well blended down low. I'l be removing more paint and filler but thought this was a good time to ask.

I think if I had more experience I would just start cutting it all out but I am trying to do this carefully.

Any opinions and recommendations are appreciated,
Matt
SoCalJes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Frankenstein Door Sills - should I just start cutting? Reply with quote

I had something similar, the more I cut and looked the more horror I found so to be on the safe side I cut everything out and replaced and welded all new metal. No chance of some pocket of sneaky rust rot ever coming back up under the new paint now.
Just because it didn't come that way, doesn't mean it shouldn't have.
Mellow Yellow 74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 8:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Frankenstein Door Sills - should I just start cutting? Reply with quote

Don't forget to brace your door frames before your start cutting
SoCalJes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 8:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Frankenstein Door Sills - should I just start cutting? Reply with quote

Mellow Yellow 74 wrote:
Don't forget to brace your door frames before your start cutting

Yes, that helps if you're planning on putting your doors back on. Shocked
Sofia74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Frankenstein Door Sills - should I just start cutting? Reply with quote

Make sure doors can go back on. Check. Smile

I did brace the doors. My first practical application of my welding "skills".

I'm good with cutting. My problem is that being my first dissection of a KG I'm not sure what to cut and what not to cut. There is a lot more cleaning and paint removal I can do. At some point maybe I purchase the heater channels and associated metal so I can look at it like a jigsaw puzzle and see where to cut.

Not sure that made sense...
SoCalJes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Frankenstein Door Sills - should I just start cutting? Reply with quote

Sofia74 wrote:
Make sure doors can go back on. Check. Smile

I did brace the doors. My first practical application of my welding "skills".

I'm good with cutting. My problem is that being my first dissection of a KG I'm not sure what to cut and what not to cut. There is a lot more cleaning and paint removal I can do. At some point maybe I purchase the heater channels and associated metal so I can look at it like a jigsaw puzzle and see where to cut.

Not sure that made sense...

Yes, use the new metal to plan your cuts so you don't cut more than you need
J1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 11:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Frankenstein Door Sills - should I just start cutting? Reply with quote

Sofia74 wrote:
My problem is that being my first dissection of a KG I'm not sure what to cut and what not to cut.

If you have not seen this yet, maybe this particular post of my rocker cutting sequence, as well as the rest of that thread can help... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7614026#7614026
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Frankenstein Door Sills - should I just start cutting? Reply with quote

My 70 Ghia Convertible was like you have.
The PO just kept adding layer of metal on top of the worthless rust.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: