Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1915cc cam selection
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
weasel_ugs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:31 pm    Post subject: 1915cc cam selection Reply with quote

So I decided not to go 2109 from my 1915 so Im just going to rebuild the 1915 and upgrade a little bit.

Original eng build was 1915,69x94 counter balanced crank, engle 110 cam and 041 heads(which I thought I was told were 40x35.5 with mild porting and were only 39x32) , with .040 deck height, originally a 32-36 weber and moved up to a 44IDF. The power and torque were perfect for my 69 baja with 4.12 gears and 31's. it drove exactly how I wanted for a daily driver and desert play toy.

So I have moved to higher altitude and want a little power back I lost so heres what Im thinking, 69x94, ditch my 041 heads for Panchitos, I should be at .040 deck height still which should have my compression at 8.8 to 1. I have never been good at cam decisions so what would be a good cam for this new setup? Stay with a 110 and standard rockers or is there a better cam choice? I do need to upgrade my valvetrain too so ratio rockers can be a possibility if necessary for a new cam choice.

Im not looking for a high RPM motor, 5500 would be OK since Im going to try and make this car a daily driver too.

Thanks for any replies.
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 1915cc cam selection Reply with quote

Sounds good. So 44 IDF carburetor as a single center Mount?
fabo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 1915cc cam selection Reply with quote

This is a 1915 combo recommended to me by Alstrup... Timms super stock heads " ported version" 40idfs,web 218,1 1/2" header, 8.5-9.1 comp...... He said flat torque curve...
Good luck
weasel_ugs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 1915cc cam selection Reply with quote

I forgot to mention I'm adding CB performance fuel injection to it that I already have. It's also going into a 64 Baja convertible with 29 inch tall tires,mostly street driven.
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 1915cc cam selection Reply with quote

I have not Idea what it would need for a cam being FI and all. Ask the Fellow, Pat at CB he blogs sometimes on the samba, Try: Pat D. There are some interesting CB-Performance engine combos being tested on U-tube. CB-Performance.

Last edited by Danwvw on Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:31 pm; edited 3 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ps2375
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 1915cc cam selection Reply with quote

F.I. or carb'd shouldn't matter for cam selection. F.I. in certain situations will allow you to get away with more cam duration, like if you were having to pass a smog test.
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 1915cc cam selection Reply with quote

CB-2256
weasel_ugs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 1915cc cam selection Reply with quote

ps2375 wrote:
F.I. or carb'd shouldn't matter for cam selection. F.I. in certain situations will allow you to get away with more cam duration, like if you were having to pass a smog test.

Luckily no smog testing up here, use to have to run it through when I lived in Phoenix.
weasel_ugs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 1915cc cam selection Reply with quote

So I have been doing more searching and reading, would the web 110 cam with 1.1 rockers be a good choice? ACN shows the cam to be good from 1500rpm to 5800rpm which is about what Im looking for.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 1:12 am    Post subject: Re: 1915cc cam selection Reply with quote

I agree with most of the aircooled.net info but not the CR recommendation.
I would advise 9-9.5-1 compression ratio with the web 110.
IMO it's a great street cam. Pretty much the same as a scat c45, yes the running duration numbers are different but that's just a difference of how two different companies calculate the running duration, in reality they are within a few degrees all in every way.
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 1:13 am    Post subject: Re: 1915cc cam selection Reply with quote

For a street driven engine, with a centermount 44 IDF, - no.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 1:14 am    Post subject: Re: 1915cc cam selection Reply with quote

I was just thinking that!!
yeah if you want the ability to run a single carb then need to limit it to a web 218
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 1:20 am    Post subject: Re: 1915cc cam selection Reply with quote

Well, I think I was a little fast on the trigger. It seems tha the bloke has decided to use fuel incjection. Slightly dependant on which layout he will be using, the choice of cams alter too. On the other hand, if it is supposed to be a good off road engine IŽd still say the cam choice is a little hefty.
T
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
FreeBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 1:28 am    Post subject: Re: 1915cc cam selection Reply with quote

What's your exhaust set-up?
FreeBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:25 am    Post subject: Re: 1915cc cam selection Reply with quote

FreeBug wrote:
What's your exhaust set-up?

And which end-castings are you planning on using? I think these will or won't be the restriction, depending on work.
weasel_ugs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: 1915cc cam selection Reply with quote

The feul injection is dual throttlebodies, it will be mostly street driven now, not much up here but forest roads.
The exhaust that is installed now is from the old engine so I will be replacing it, not sure yet which one but I want ceramic coated and quiet.
weasel_ugs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: 1915cc cam selection Reply with quote

modok wrote:
I agree with most of the aircooled.net info but not the CR recommendation.
I would advise 9-9.5-1 compression ratio with the web 110.
IMO it's a great street cam. Pretty much the same as a scat c45, yes the running duration numbers are different but that's just a difference of how two different companies calculate the running duration, in reality they are within a few degrees all in every way.

So would I not need as much compression with the Scat c45 cam? I saw mentioned the Webcam was better quality than the Engle cams now, is Scat better quality than the Webcams?

Which brings me to another question, my first thread I had about a 2109 someone mentioned wanting more compression for my higher altitude. Do you build an engine any different for elevations over 5k feet? More compression as this person mentioned?

I know the obvious is forced induction but not ready to go there yet.

On a side note the town I moved to is a small town where the speed limit is 25 just about everywhere Sad , I have always loved power and more power but I might get in too much trouble if I give myself too much power,thats why I decided against the 2109. Cool
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 1915cc cam selection Reply with quote

I just mentioned it for sake of comparison as the c45 is a lot more popular, and performs almost the same since they are almost the same.

At high altitutde you can use slightly more compresion.....but not as extreme as many think. Detonation is related to temperature and fuel octane just as much as it is air density. As you go across the country as the altitude goes up the fuel octane goes down. Premium is 90 or 91, while it's usually 93 or 94, except california.

25 MPH......are you going to be stuck in second gear Shocked
weasel_ugs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 1915cc cam selection Reply with quote

modok wrote:
25 MPH......are you going to be stuck in second gear Shocked

I can actually get into third! The road to work is 45 so I can sometimes use fourth! Smile
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 1915cc cam selection Reply with quote

Maybe you can now, but I don't think it will be happy doing that with the new engine you are planning.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: