Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bus won't start: Vacuum leak or Dizzy?
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ryyanking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:20 pm    Post subject: Bus won't start: Vacuum leak or Dizzy? Reply with quote

Hey guys, having a problem getting my bus started.

Deets: 74 Bus, 1800cc type iv engine with hydraulic valves. Weber Progressive, pertronix svda 1 dizzy.

The story:
My bus was running rough, stumbling, hesitation, jerking, with my bosch tachometer jumping all over the place. I looked underneath and saw a wire was coming loose from its ring terminal attached to the starter. Hoping that was my whole issue I put a new ring terminal on it and made sure everything's fully connected. Bus started and ran without the jerking stumbling problem unless I got it above 4,000rpm, so I knew my problem wasn't solved. I reset the valves, installed new spark plugs & wires, and went to time the engine but it wouldn't idle with the vacuum hose off. This made me believe I had a vacuum leak, put the vacuum hose back on and it got it to idle, sprayed some carb cleaner and white smoke came out the exhaust when I sprayed the brake booster line and the passenger side where the manifold meets the engine. Took the intake manifold off and replaced the metal gaskets, tightened things down, and replaced the brake booster line, and got it to start. Carb cleaner didn't create any white smoke or noticeable change in idle. Went to drive it a couple of blocks to see if the hesitation was still there, and it got about 3 blocks before it died at a stop-light and I could not get it to start at all. I tightened everything down, still no go, gave it a day, still, no go. So checked the timing statically and noticed the static light never fully goes off, it gets brighter around 9 BTDC, but it never fully goes off.
So I thought my maybe the dizzy has failed. (is the static light never going off an indicator for that with the pertornix? I've only had it for 5 months) so I swapped dizzy's with my old 009 with points and condenser and timed it statically and it couldn't get it to start.

Question is how do I narrow this problem down? Whats the next steps? is there a way to test the pertronix? Sorry for the length but thank you for reading.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus won't start: Vacuum leak or Dizzy? Reply with quote

The tach dancing around would have said that your original problem was in the ignition circuit somewhere, but since you have messed with so much at this point in time, it is really hard to have a clue as to what is now wrong with it.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: