Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Repairing Frame Damage From Broken Motor Mount
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Red5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:51 pm    Post subject: Repairing Frame Damage From Broken Motor Mount Reply with quote

I'm wondering what would be the best approach to fixing this frame damage caused by a broken motor mount:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The left side of the image shows the mount before the frame was stripped down and motor removed. The other side of the image shows the frame on its right side, so you're seeing the bottom of the tube where the mount was welded onto the frame. Note the gaping hole that the mount created when it came off.

I'm open to suggestions on how to fix this. I'm guessing the right way would be to cut the frame on either side of the hole and weld in a new section of tube. Doesn't sound too hard, but as a beginner welder/fabricator I'm a little hesitant to start cutting up the frame. Are there any other viable options?
Fenix
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Repairing Frame Damage From Broken Motor Mount Reply with quote

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/general-4x4-discuss...donts.html
B Ramsey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: Repairing Frame Damage From Broken Motor Mount Reply with quote

replace that bolt in strap with a section of 1.5" tube welded to the frame on top (directly underneath the vertical tube), and welded to the frame horn on the bottom. Do this on both sides, may need a bend to clear exhaust on left side. that is what i do. makes it a pain to get the transmission out but so what. then just patch that hole. no big deal.
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: Repairing Frame Damage From Broken Motor Mount Reply with quote

Simple fix would be take a section of tubing and split it in half (lengthwise) and plate over area where hole is... Do not be afraid to go a bit (a few inches) beyond where hole is to get away for area where metal fatigue actually opened up the hole...

More complies fix would be to replace whole (or most of) rear cross member as was suggested above...

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
Red5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: Repairing Frame Damage From Broken Motor Mount Reply with quote

Sounds like using slugs is the "right" way to do it. But I do like the idea of splitting a tube and sealing up the hole using the two halves. Nice and simple.

I think what I end up doing will be mostly dependent upon what materials I can get from the local steel vendor. Their selection can be limited and may not have any tubing that would be the correct size for slug-making.

Once repaired, I'm planning on replacing those crappy tab mounts with a single solid piece of steel that both mounts could bolt on to. I'm also not sure what sort of motor/transmission combo will be on there, so I figure using a single piece of steel means I don't have to worry about getting the mounts correctly aligned.

Of course, if there's a better way to do this I'm all ears. Thanks again.
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Repairing Frame Damage From Broken Motor Mount Reply with quote

Great photo of the heater box fins
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:49 am    Post subject: Re: Repairing Frame Damage From Broken Motor Mount Reply with quote

For Dale's fix:
You could use 1.5" x .095 like the frame is made out of to make a 1/2 tube. Taper the ends so it doesn't concentrate the loads right at the end of the patch. Clamp it tight and hammer it to pull it into place. Or better, use 1.75 x .120 wall tube for the patch.

Or make the tube braces as suggested by BRamsey.

Do the same patch for both sides.

My HiJumper has the bar stock braces. My Baja has tube braces. Both work well.

Replace the mount with a steel with a strap over the bell housing and make sure there is a strap over the nose of the trans too.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Red5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: Repairing Frame Damage From Broken Motor Mount Reply with quote

Hey Richard,
What do you mean by "taper the ends"?. Got an example or image? Thanks!
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: Repairing Frame Damage From Broken Motor Mount Reply with quote

Red5 wrote:
Hey Richard,
What do you mean by "taper the ends"?. Got an example or image? Thanks!

Cut ends of patch to arrow or diamond point....Instead of 90° cut at end of patch...

Dale

All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
Red5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Repairing Frame Damage From Broken Motor Mount Reply with quote

To make sure I understand you guys correctly, when viewed from the top, the tube could like like one of the two shapes below?

The idea is to eliminate or minimize any 90 degree corners? Thanks!
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Repairing Frame Damage From Broken Motor Mount Reply with quote

Red5 wrote:
To make sure I understand you guys correctly, when viewed from the top, the tube could like like one of the two shapes below?

The idea is to eliminate or minimize any 90 degree corners? Thanks!

Lower one...

Dale

earthquake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Repairing Frame Damage From Broken Motor Mount Reply with quote

I would take a die grinder with a carbide burr and grind out the bad spot so any point is round so a crack cant start and then plate it in as suggested.

Casey
05 SCION XB SERIES RELEASE 2[#437]
95 Chevy C3500 dually
98 Ford E150
Link to Kelly J. Nolte 3/20/53 - 11/6/08
https://time-zonelabs.blogspot.com/p/about-kelly.html
DEATH TO CHINGERS!
[From a military recruitment poster in the novel "The Stainless Steel Rat" By Harry Harrison]
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Repairing Frame Damage From Broken Motor Mount Reply with quote

Casey's right. Make sure there are no cracks that could spread later before you patch over it. Any crack you find, drill a hole about 1/8" at the end of the crack.

Tapering the patch piece is so there are no square corners because they cause a concentration of forces. Also, the reinforcement, if square cut, forms it's own concentration of loads. Tapering the ends spreads the load gradually reducing it so it's not such a concentration. So...cut the ends of the tube for the patch at a 45° angle. I would taper it it so that the middle of the 1/2 tube patch is the long side and the cut side of the 1/2 tube is the short side. Round those corners while you're at it.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Red5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Repairing Frame Damage From Broken Motor Mount Reply with quote

Good stuff. Probably would have made things worse if I had not asked. Thanks for all the advice. Smile
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: Repairing Frame Damage From Broken Motor Mount Reply with quote

This is good timing as I too have a tube with a large hole that needs to be patched. Thanks guys!

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=487021
Vanillagurilla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Repairing Frame Damage From Broken Motor Mount Reply with quote

I would cut it out, find tubing to fit INSIDE the existing tubing and some that will fit the OD of the existing tubing. Slide the OD tubing down over the existing, put the ID tubing inside existing and into both ends, weld the I'd tubing to the existing, clean it up so you can slide the OD tubing over and then weld that in.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: