Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Exhaust temp guage?
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
duc944
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:27 pm    Post subject: Exhaust temp guage? Reply with quote

Hello all,
I know many run with a cylinder gauge but I'm wondering if any are using an exhaust temp gauge? I would think it to be a better long term install over the under the #3 spark plug.

What would be a good running temp?

thanks
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Exhaust temp guage? Reply with quote

Your answers should vary widely. Unless you specify the type/brand/style of exhaust you are running and the entire breakdown of your engine build parts- you will have absolutely no idea what is normal.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Exhaust temp guage? Reply with quote

EGT (exhaust gas temperature) gages are common in light aircraft. They have the ability to change the air/fuel mix from the cockpit. Actually it's necessary due to altitude changes either manually, or computer controlled.

You can get one (non-certified (cheaper)) on eBay or the like. IDK what the range is susposed to be, but you could talk to some people that run VW aircooled engines in aircraft to get a basic safe range. Obviously it would be different for a engine driven on the street at different loads, but a baseline for cruising could be established. And the gages just look cool!
scrivyscriv
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Exhaust temp guage? Reply with quote

I can't remember the specifics, it's been a few years since A&P school recip engines, but the CHT and EGT work together to indicate engine load and mixture richness. If you only have one, choose a CHT.

We terrestrial folks set mixture richness on the carburetor with main jets and emulsion tubes.. using a wideband air/fuel ratio meter to tune, ideally. Pilots on the other hand set mixture manually depending on cruise or climb power. You tweak the mixture leaner and leaner until the CHT gets to its highest reading, then starts to drop. At that point you've established peak EGT, and adjust the mixture slightly to get slightly lean of peak or rich of peak, depending on what your purpose is.. fuel economy or long engine life.

CHT indicates how much work the engine is performing.. EGT indicates how rich or lean the mixture is. So ideally one would never really need an EGT in normal driving conditions

Off the top of my head I am thinking 1200 degrees Fahrenheit is a normal EGT.
If you're ever in the Memphis area, you are welcome to stop by for advice and help.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Max Welton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: Exhaust temp guage? Reply with quote

Here's some gauges.

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/menus/in/westach_egtcht.html

Max
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
duc944
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Exhaust temp guage? Reply with quote

thanks for the insight
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: