Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fitech Fuel Systems
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blasted
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:20 am    Post subject: Fitech Fuel Systems Reply with quote

Hello,

Has anyone used any of the Fitech fuel systems on their air-cooled engine? would you care to share your experience?

I’m looking into building a turbo/efi set up and I’m hoping to keep the overall package simple and compact. I don’t want to modify the body of the car and I don’t want it to be obvious it has a performance engine. I also don’t want to be pulling it every 5 minutes and having to mess about with tuning. Fit and forget would be great.

One item that has caught my attention is the Fitech Go EFI 4 system. It’s a single body with a self-learning ECU and it would be connected to one of Rodney Adams intake pipes, keeping it all quite similar to an standard set up.

One thing that isnt clear to me is if the system is able to work with a crank fire trigger, is a CF trigger even necessary?

Thanks,

Links to kit

http://fitechefi.com/products/30004/
http://rodneyadamsdesigns.com/products/rad-2-4-barrel-intake-kits/

Last edited by Blasted on Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
jismay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Fitech Fuel Systems Reply with quote

Lowbugget in California sells a complete kit for this.

http://lowbugget.com/fitech.html

Don't know anything more than what they say, but it looks interesting. I'm just sad it wouldn't likely work on a Type3 due to the manifold, etc.
1989 VW Cabriolet
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ps2375
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Fitech Fuel Systems Reply with quote

You might do some research about support for any efi system you choose. Nothing worse than to buy a system (big $ or not) and have no support for tuning, or have to pay big $ for someone to even get a base tune on it or have no one close that will even touch it.
Dauz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Fitech Fuel Systems Reply with quote

jismay wrote:
I'm just sad it wouldn't likely work on a Type3 due to the manifold, etc.

You realize the owner daily drives a fastback with this system?
Krochus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Fitech Fuel Systems Reply with quote

Fitech is introducing a 2barrel system that could be adapted to a progressive Weber intake and would be the bees knees for an engine like you have

No Tuning support? LOL This is the 21’s century. Most will tune themselves and just about all come with a hand held interface I think a few are Bluetooth compatible with an android phone
Blasted
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Fitech Fuel Systems Reply with quote

@jismay - Thanks, they seem to be using a crank fire in their pictures.

@ps2375 - Last thing I want to be doing is playing about with tuning, I don't find it fun.
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Fitech Fuel Systems Reply with quote

jismay wrote:

Don't know anything more than what they say, but it looks interesting. I'm just sad it wouldn't likely work on a Type3 due to the manifold, etc.

Sure it works........It just fills his whole back trunk with aircleaner, Fitech TB and assorted wiring.
Who needs a trunk...or an engine cover...... Rolling Eyes Wink

Take a good long look in the mirror and report back on what you see.

Paul.H wrote:
That one line on that chart is probably better info than you can get from this place in a month

My Megasquirt Fuel Injection Turbo Buggy Build
Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16
ECUMaster ADU5 Digital Dash

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=127936
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ps2375
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Fitech Fuel Systems Reply with quote

Blasted wrote:
@ps2375 - Last thing I want to be doing is playing about with tuning, I don't find it fun.

If you understand it and have your basics set, it can be fun. When I had MS on my Rabbit, I could/would think of something and adjust every few months. But if the system is not easily understood, I wouldn't waste your time on it. I have no experience with Fitech systems, so I don't know. And yes some can "tune" them selves, but MS had that, and it didn't work so well. Then TunerStudio came along and changed that completely. Dunno what Fitech has.
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Fitech Fuel Systems Reply with quote

ps2375 wrote:
Blasted wrote:

If you understand it and have your basics set, it can be fun. When I had MS on my Rabbit, I could/would think of something and adjust every few months. But if the system is not easily understood, I wouldn't waste your time on it. I have no experience with Fitech systems, so I don't know. And yes some can "tune" them selves, but MS had that, and it didn't work so well. Then TunerStudio came along and changed that completely. Dunno what Fitech has.

From what I have read on Fitech it comes setup up for a V-8 in the hp range of the model you buy by default. One model supports 400 hp and another supports 600 hp....there might be others.....
Unless the person you buy it from has changed the default settings to work with an engine that has a 1/4 of the displacement and less than half if not 1/4 the hp...your VW engine is going to run like crap. The 4 barrel 400 hp version comes with four 55 lb./hr injectors if I remember correctly.
It will only self learn to a point. you have to go into the deeper menu and change the defaults to make it work better.
You have to also confirm whether the system you want actually supports ignition control or not because some do and some don't.

You still have to tune it but you don't "need" a laptop.

Do your home work........

Paul.H wrote:
That one line on that chart is probably better info than you can get from this place in a month

Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dauz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Fitech Fuel Systems Reply with quote

clonebug wrote:

Who needs a trunk...or an engine cover...... Rolling Eyes Wink

Why do you keep saying this sarcastically? You don't even have a trunk, or an engine cover, or doors, or a roof.. in the rainiest friccin state in the country.. Rolling Eyes
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Fitech Fuel Systems Reply with quote

In a fastback, the trunk is useless anyhow. Converting to upright cooling and turbo/Fi is the best use of that space ever.
[email protected] MPH 1/4 Mile & 8.1 @ 83.7MPH in 1/8 Mile with Mild Type 1 VW Mag Case 2234cc commuter engine in stock weight bug w/only .491 total lift(CB2292 Cam), 42x37 heads, 48idf's, Street tires, Belt on, Mufflers, Pump gas, video of the run here: https://youtu.be/M3SPqMOKAOg

Transmission by MCMScott:
Rhino case, Klinkenberg 4.12, Superdiff, 002 mainshaft with 091 first idler. Weddle 1.48 Third & 1.14 Fourth.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DerrickfromNC1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Fitech Fuel Systems Reply with quote

Radesigns I believe resets the defaults to work on our smaller air cooled motors. You’ll pay a little more to purchase from him but I would bet it’s diffinitly worth it.
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Fitech Fuel Systems Reply with quote

Dauz wrote:
clonebug wrote:

Who needs a trunk...or an engine cover...... Laughing Wink

Why do you keep saying this sarcastically? You don't even have a trunk, or an engine cover, or doors, or a roof.. in the rainiest friccin state in the country.. Rolling Eyes

There.....I fixed the sarcasm.......

I sure do have an engine cover........the only part of my engine outside is the alternator pulley. Everything else is covered.

Paul.H wrote:

Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16

john5841
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: Fitech Fuel Systems Reply with quote

jismay wrote:

STAY AWAY from lowbugget
Paul.H
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: Fitech Fuel Systems Reply with quote

Blasted wrote:
@jismay - Thanks, they seem to be using a crank fire in their pictures.

If you put FI on your engine then you will have to play around with the tune one way or another
slg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Fitech Fuel Systems Reply with quote

john5841 wrote:
jismay wrote:

STAY AWAY from lowbugget

any reason why? i was looking into some kind of fuel injection set up, and i have used fitech before on a chevy 350 and ford 302. i was looking at the lowbugget kit cause i cant justify spending the money for a cb preformance kit. is there something wrong with there kit or them that i am missing?
veeweeman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: Fitech Fuel Systems Reply with quote

I would just get Rodney's kit...I spoke with him on the phone a few times and he knows his shit. ..the lowest ci displacement the Fitech will run is 160ci motor. ..what Rodney does is fine tune the settings in the software to work with your engine size. ..this will get your engine running and the more you drive it it will fine tune itself and learn what your engine needs are.

As for lowbugget, I have no comment as I have no experience working with them. ..I belive Rodney has a much better looking intake setup anyways. ..when I finish building my 2442 I will be getting one of Rodney's kits to work with my blow-thru setup. ..I myself have researched the most cost effective way to go efi and the fitech is always the winner! ...nothing else for the money will support 30psi out of the box.

VeeWeeman
turbotype1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: Fitech Fuel Systems Reply with quote

I have installed a few of these systems on customers cars, although on V8's. While they do "self learn" , They do need some fine tweaking to work out some issues.
Go over to www.Chevelle.com
They have abunch of guys on their forum that know how to make these systems sing....
This new fad of get it the lowest, or run it with the worst looks, (patina) isn't cool, it's for the hey everyone look at me crowd, i'm driving a beat down ratty, unsafe, VW, how cool am I ???...your not....

Pissing off the purists since 1997

Wanted: Boyd Motors plate frame

57 Turbo Oval Sliding rag
67 13 window delux walk-thru- now 21
64 all original for the misses
83 Sinka m-TDI diesel
DerrickfromNC1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Fitech Fuel Systems Reply with quote

veeweeman wrote:
I would just get Rodney's kit...I spoke with him on the phone a few times and he knows his shit. ..the lowest ci displacement the Fitech will run is 160ci motor. ..what Rodney does is fine tune the settings in the software to work with your engine size. ..this will get your engine running and the more you drive it it will fine tune itself and learn what your engine needs are.

As for lowbugget, I have no comment as I have no experience working with them. ..I belive Rodney has a much better looking intake setup anyways. ..when I finish building my 2442 I will be getting one of Rodney's kits to work with my blow-thru setup. ..I myself have researched the most cost effective way to go efi and the fitech is always the winner! ...nothing else for the money will support 30psi out of the box.

VeeWeeman

VeeWeeman, have you’ve made any move towards getting and installing Fitech yet.?
veeweeman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Fitech Fuel Systems Reply with quote

DerrickfromNC1 wrote:
veeweeman wrote:

VeeWeeman

VeeWeeman, have you’ve made any move towards getting and installing Fitech yet.?

Sorry bud...I've since sold my engine to a builder in Australia and switched to a more reliable TDI power plant. ..already turboed, fuel injected and more torque than you can sink 20k into any size air cooled VW engine you can imagine...for around 5k, how about 240HP+ and 400+ft lbs of torque? ...can't do that with any air cooled! ...no ecu to mess with, no worries about destination and the kicker is also better mpg!...a win, win all around! !
Good luck with your efi system Laughing
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: