Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Couldn’t pass this up, my $4500 new project
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
OCWest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:37 pm    Post subject: Couldn’t pass this up, my $4500 new project Reply with quote

Just thought I’d drop by and post a few pics of my new project. I’m in the process of getting a title so I’m not really sure what year it is but I’m guessing a 63. Don’t be fooled by the tail lights because this bug has a gas gauge and push button exterior handles. She’s an almost complete project however the work that has been done isn’t exactly the way I would of gone . The pan has been worked on and although minor, the work was done wrong because they didn’t bother hiding or sealing the replacement piece under the drivers seat. Looks decent from the inside but horrible once it’s on a lift. There’s a small amount of cancer under the wheel well but a very easy fix. It’s been sitting for many years and I was told the motor was recently rebuilt along with the trans. Old owner lost interest when they acquired a show car condition 60 convertible. $4500 seemed fair and hopefully a few thousand will make her road worthy. Hope you all like
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Couldn’t pass this up, my $4500 new project Reply with quote

Nice looking car.

Easy way to tell what model year the car is, just bump the VIN against the production date list: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/bugchassisdating.php
OCWest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Couldn’t pass this up, my $4500 new project Reply with quote

mukluk wrote:
Nice looking car.

Easy way to tell what model year the car is, just bump the VIN against the production date list: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/bugchassisdating.php

Thank you, it’s. 1965! You wouldn’t happen to have that color code link ?
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Couldn’t pass this up, my $4500 new project Reply with quote

Top of the page here on this forum, near the right hand side, located in the "Technical" drop down menu you'll find color codes and other useful information.
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Couldn’t pass this up, my $4500 new project Reply with quote

$4500???? Shocked Shocked Shocked
You stole that car!
I have a special place in my heart for black over red interior cars.
Yours is just lovely.

Paint would have been - L 41 black.
It appears that VW didn't offer a red leatherett interior in 65. Unless I'm
mis-reading the charts.

Have fun with that car.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Couldn’t pass this up, my $4500 new project Reply with quote

What a steal, that looks fantastic! Not a '65 though, side windows look too small and ragtops stopped in '63 here in the states.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Couldn’t pass this up, my $4500 new project Reply with quote

67ctbug wrote:
What a steal, that looks fantastic! Not a '65 though, side windows look too small and ragtops stopped in '63 here in the states.

That, and the cowl too, not '65.

Larser, did you check both VINs and confirm a match? In addition to the plate up front, it's stamped into the pan just underneath the back seat.
OCWest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Couldn’t pass this up, my $4500 new project Reply with quote

The vin code numbers aren’t matching any of the numbers on the chart. I fall in the omission area. When the DMV papers come in two weeks I’ll be able to verify
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Couldn’t pass this up, my $4500 new project Reply with quote

Larser wrote:
Thank you, it’s. 1965!

1963 was the last year of the ragtop.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Couldn’t pass this up, my $4500 new project Reply with quote

It's been re-bodied I'd bet but it's still a nice looking starting point. It will be a nice cruiser
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:05 am    Post subject: Re: Couldn’t pass this up, my $4500 new project Reply with quote

Nice looking VW that is not a 1965 model. Its a Frankenbug. Keep us posted on what it may be.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
Mark Evans Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: Couldn’t pass this up, my $4500 new project Reply with quote

Great looking start!
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: Couldn’t pass this up, my $4500 new project Reply with quote

Looks great from here. Overall, looks to be in beautiful condition. And it's a perfect color combination. And a ragtop!

Although incorrect, I'd leave the tail lights. Love 'em.
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: Couldn’t pass this up, my $4500 new project Reply with quote

There are some variables...

Not a 65 body.. and I don't see heater control levers next to the parking brake.. so chances are not a 65 frame..

Hopefully you just are looking at the numbers all wrong on the chart.. that happens..

In all technicality 1967 was the last year of the ragtop.. albeit in standard form after 1963 and would be odd in the US..

This looks like a Deluxe. .. so.. would not be ragtop after 1963 unless .. well. as I mentioned there are some variables (other than German build countries)

Check the numbers on the body tag vs the frame.. .
Body tag and frame numbers should match..
If not.. good luck with the DMV..

Punch it.. or them in here: http://www.inerd.it/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=21

report back.. Still a good looking ride.. black is bad when its clean.. Good color comb

Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
HippyTom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: Couldn’t pass this up, my $4500 new project Reply with quote

I'm calling the cops!!!!! You STOLE it for 4,500.
OCWest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: Couldn’t pass this up, my $4500 new project Reply with quote

Busstom wrote:
67ctbug wrote:

That, and the cowl too, not '65.

Larser, did you check both VINs and confirm a match? In addition to the plate up front, it's stamped into the pan just underneath the back seat.

Yes, the vins match however the vin falls in between years and not listed. There is a ** notation on the website indicating that certain vins were not used for a small period which has left me confused.
OCWest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: Couldn’t pass this up, my $4500 new project Reply with quote

scottyrocks wrote:
Looks great from here. Overall, looks to be in beautiful condition. And it's a perfect color combination. And a ragtop!

Although incorrect, I'd leave the tail lights. Love 'em.

Exactly, I want to enjoy this one and it does look great in person too. There was some armature work done on the pan underneath the drivers seat so I need to find a person in Southern cal to fix that. For that reason and the fact that the rubber spacers between the pan and body are in original condition I believe this body and pan have never been separated .

I love the tail lights and the interior. Is it correct? Absolutely not but it doesn’t matter and for that fact I’ll be able to cruise this Rag around
OCWest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: Couldn’t pass this up, my $4500 new project Reply with quote

HippyTom wrote:
I'm calling the cops!!!!! You STOLE it for 4,500.

It’s my old neighbor and I want to say he “gave” it to me but I think it’s payback from a transaction back a few years ago where he bought my 66 bus without telling the whole details to his wife only to find out she wasn’t too happy . I told him no problem and gave him his money back lol
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: Couldn’t pass this up, my $4500 new project Reply with quote

Larser wrote:
[
Yes, the vins match however the vin falls in between years and not listed. There is a ** notation on the website indicating that certain vins were not used for a small period which has left me confused.

The "**" 's are for engine numbers.

Quite simply.. if the VIN begins with 115..and is 9 digits .. thats a 65 vin.

Post your VIN . feel free to hash out the last 3 or 4 numbers..

We can tell you .. Wink

Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TheDon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Couldn’t pass this up, my $4500 new project Reply with quote

duplicate

Last edited by TheDon on Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: