Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Help identifying this bus
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chuckler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:28 pm    Post subject: Help identifying this bus Reply with quote

Hey gang!

Noob here. I am looking for help in identifying what type/year this VW Bus is?

This bus was owned by my late uncle, and I would like to honor him by purchasing a similar one. He sold it years ago, and I am lost for what it is.

Pic was taken in 87-88ish, if that matters.

I sincerely appreciate any assistance
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Help identifyimg this bus Reply with quote

78 or 79 if the sliders are original
Chuckler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Help identifyimg this bus Reply with quote

Is it a microbus?
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:33 am    Post subject: Re: Help identifyimg this bus Reply with quote

Chuckler wrote:
Is it a microbus?
It is a late Bay Window bus. The microbus run ended with the 1967 model year. The late Bay Window body style started in 1973 and ran through 1979, while the early Bay Window ran from 1968-1971 with 1972 being a change over year. They are variously known as Type 2's, Transporters, Station Wagons, Kombis, Bullis, Fat Chicks, Combis, Vans, Buses, Bugs, and probably a lot of other names.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:28 am    Post subject: Re: Help identifyimg this bus Reply with quote

Chuckler wrote:
Is it a microbus?

Technically, a minivan
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: Help identifyimg this bus Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Chuckler wrote:
Is it a microbus?

Technically, a minivan

My DMV insists it is a station wagon. (Stationwagen?)

maybe there are other clues I am missing, but gas cap (no door) and slider handle (handle well does not go to 12oclock0 tells me it is a 74 to 79
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: Help identifyimg this bus Reply with quote

alman72 wrote:
Abscate wrote:
Chuckler wrote:
Is it a microbus?

Technically, a minivan

maybe there are other clues I am missing, but gas cap (no door) and slider handle (handle well does not go to 12oclock0 tells me it is a 74 to 79

the slider windows were used only in 1978 and 1979 only. Prior years had the wing style vents, or the jalousie style. If the windows are original then it is a 1978 or 1979. Beyond that I don't know how one would tell from that photo. The changes between 1978 and 1979 were mostly in the engine smog gear and exhaust. It looks like a repaint so the slider windows may not be original. The side markers are black. That also points to a late bay. Wheels show color deterioration so that points to a repaint also. Considering the photo is supposedly about 1984 it would be unusual to repaint a car only 5 or 6 years old. That is all that will come out of this photo. If there was one with the license plate one might be able to determine when the series was issued.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: Help identifyimg this bus Reply with quote

alman72 wrote:
Abscate wrote:
Chuckler wrote:
Is it a microbus?

Technically, a minivan

Xevin has a Xombi
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: Help identifyimg this bus Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
alman72 wrote:
Abscate wrote:
Chuckler wrote:
Is it a microbus?

Technically, a minivan

the slider windows were used only in 1978 and 1979 only. Prior years had the wing style vents, or the jalousie style. If the windows are original then it is a 1978 or 1979. Beyond that I don't know how one would tell from that photo. The changes between 1978 and 1979 were mostly in the engine smog gear and exhaust. It looks like a repaint so the slider windows may not be original. The side markers are black. That also points to a late bay. Wheels show color deterioration so that points to a repaint also. Considering the photo is supposedly about 1984 it would be unusual to repaint a car only 5 or 6 years old. That is all that will come out of this photo. If there was one with the license plate one might be able to determine when the series was issued.

Looks like Reef blue to me and I don't think it's been painted, the link on the slider is still silver, Maaco never masks that. So I'll say it's a 78 or late 77 since it has sliders but it's a color not available in the US in 79.

In other countries it was still called a Microbus, but due to the Chicken tax that sounded too commercial or truck like for the US and VW called it the Stationwagon to qualify as a passenger car, possibly also to compete in the buyers mind with American road monsters of the time, same seating capacity and interior space as the competition but in a smaller package.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/lit/1978_bus_its_more_fun_to_take_the_bus.php

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Convoy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: Help identifying this bus Reply with quote

And if the reflector side markers are stock, then its a 76 and/or later as the black trim on the reflectors was introduced in 76.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: