Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

'75 Shifter Rod Bushings; Replacement Help - Trans Installed
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gumboguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: '75 Shifter Rod Bushings; Replacement Help - Trans Installed Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
use the old one if it is still good. That repop is not worth using IMHO. We all have issues with it. The knobs on the one I bought were poorly deformed in the casting process.

I'm going to file down the fins a c-hair on the old one and reuse use it. Its too tight as is and probably contributing unnecessary drag to the ease of shifting.

Something caused the old bushing to swell over time.

Thanks yall!
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: '75 Shifter Rod Bushings; Replacement Help - Trans Installed Reply with quote

Gumboguy wrote:
SGKent wrote:
use the old one if it is still good. That repop is not worth using IMHO. We all have issues with it. The knobs on the one I bought were poorly deformed in the casting process.

I'm going to file down the fins a c-hair on the old one and reuse use it. Its too tight as is and probably contributing unnecessary drag to the ease of shifting.

Something caused the old bushing to swell over time.

Thanks yall!

I know it feels draggy with your hand, but you're not going to feel that in your shifting: the length and fulcrum point of the shifter design gives you massive mechanical advantage. And it's only going to weaken and loosen with time (break in?).

I too struggled with the two-tit bush (no, not THAT one)...as previously mentioned, precision deburring and molding cleanup on the bushing go a long way. You can also carve a c-hair slight chamfer on the edge of the 'second' hole you plan to roll the nub into. It's a bear, but once it's in place, it's nice and snug like a bug in a rug. I can't recall if I used pliers or not...if you do, wrap little pieces of duct tape on the serrated jaws to mitigate scarring. I got mine at WW.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: '75 Shifter Rod Bushings; Replacement Help - Trans Installed Reply with quote

If you drill a tiny hole in the tube right where the bushing are you can periodically grease them with a needle fitting.
BUSBOSS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: '75 Shifter Rod Bushings; Replacement Help - Trans Installed Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
If you drill a tiny hole in the tube right where the bushing are you can periodically grease them with a needle fitting.

If you replace the boots sealing both ends of the tube and your splash pan is in place, your initial grease application should be fine. Use silicone based and not petroleum based lube. It's better for plastics/polycarbonates.
(sold - but not forgotten)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: