Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fuel Pump Push Rod Protrusion
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dwayne1m
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:49 pm    Post subject: Fuel Pump Push Rod Protrusion Reply with quote

Just for kicks and giggles I checked the push rod for my fuel pump on my 74SB. It's the proper length at 3 15/16", but what has me confused is that the orange Bentley says that with the push rod at its highest point it should be protruding 1/2" above the flange. I have only 3/16". Is the Bentley wrong, or is that the measurement for generator equipped engines? I did numerous complete revolutions to make sure that's the highest point, and this is with no gaskets under the flange. Looking at the underside of the pump, 1/2" seems like a lot.
Multi69s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Pump Push Rod Protrusion Reply with quote

The 1/2" measurement is for the generator style fuel pump only.
Gone but not forgotten 72 Baja Bug 2010
My builds
T4 into Squareback http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=458944&highlight=
Auto Trans Rebuild http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=516066&highlight=
AC in Squareback https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
Dwayne1m
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:20 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel Pump Push Rod Protrusion Reply with quote

The Bentley says to add/remove gaskets to get the proper push rod protrusion. So then for alternator engines there is no measurement or adjustment other then replacing the push rod if worn? If that's the case I'm curious as to what the difference is between generator pumps and alternator pumps if one needs 1/2" travel while the other only needs 3/16" travel.
vernonc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:00 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel Pump Push Rod Protrusion Reply with quote

Dwayne, Bill (wcf69vw) will probably chime in later but, if not, contact him directly....He'll know for sure.

mort

'69 sedan, low mileage, all original.....currently being 'freshened-up' for road trips and daily driving...just not every day

Freshening-up link http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=617386
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ricaroo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:38 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel Pump Push Rod Protrusion Reply with quote

This is how Cusser explained it to me...

Jan. 2017 Hot VWs p. 40. had an article about fuel pump pressure checking,
Spec 2.8 – 3.5 psi at 3400 rpm Check with a fuel pump pressure gauge. Add gaskets under fuel pump or reduce pushrod length to lower fuel pressure.

The article stated: "At highest point of engine revolution, from top of base gasket to top of steel pushrod should be 13.0mm". However, I believe that this article was focused on fuel pumps with the 108mm pushrod. Since the shorter 100mm pushrod rides on the same place as the 108mm one, I calculate that the shorter pushrod should extend 5.0mm beyond the flange at its highest point. Agree?

Hope this helps, it sure worked for me

Rick
bhartwell59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:34 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel Pump Push Rod Protrusion Reply with quote

Dwayne1m wrote:
I'm curious as to what the difference is between generator pumps and alternator pumps if one needs 1/2" travel while the other only needs 3/16" travel.

An alt fuel pump is cocked at an angle to accommodate the alt... hence the shorter rod
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:48 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel Pump Push Rod Protrusion Reply with quote

A 5 second search in theSamba photo gallery found this.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:32 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel Pump Push Rod Protrusion Reply with quote

Pushrod lengths are approx 4" for alt and 4.25 for generator, but that is assuming you are using the correct fuel pump.

The throw-the amount of movement for the pushrod is approx 1/4" for each.

The photos above are correct to show that if the lever sticks out of beneath the base then most likely you need to use the shorter alt pushrod.

It is true that the alt pump is also angled at the top to clear the alternator, but that does not necessarily mean it is the smaller pushrod-once again it is determined if the lever sticks out past the base. Another way to check is look at the side of the fuel pump and where the pin goes through the body that holds the lever. If it is closer to the base then you use the shorter pushrod, and if higher away from the base you use the longer pushrod. Take a look at some fuel pump photos and it should be obvious.

You should tee in a fuel pressure gauge and verify your pressure whatever you use. Stacking gaskets is ok, but it does reduce pressure but also volume which is another discussion all together.
Dwayne1m
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Pump Push Rod Protrusion Reply with quote

I should have mentioned but I do have the correct fuel pump. It just threw me off when the Bentley said the length of the push rod above the flange should be 1/2" and mine is nowhere near that.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: