Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Towing a 1973 Beetle...Towbar Suggestions?
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SolomonMan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:55 am    Post subject: Towing a 1973 Beetle...Towbar Suggestions? Reply with quote

All,
I have a 1973 Super Beetle that is in full restoration.

The engine is finished but not back in the car yet and the transmission/shafts are still attached to the car.

We moved to a new residence (40 miles away - bought another house type of thing).

Anyways I am looking at options to tow it the distance...3-5 miles is the distant out of the city...the roads are curvy once out of the city for about 5 miles and the rest is a straight shot to the house - rural the last 30 miles. I can proceed mostly under 30 mph for the whole distance but probably won't once I get to the straight shot point and most likely will have a companion vehicle following.

The vehicle has new tires and I will remove the half shafts before leaving. The body is 100% intact and there are no rust through spots thru the frame or anything.

It will be towed either with 1990 Ford E250 Mark III Conversion van (5.0L) or a 1993 GMC Sierra (5,7L). Both have class IV hitches - 2 inch balls.

I will get tow chains, if the ones I have will not work... but I am uncertain which tow bar to purchase.

I am looking at suggestions at which tow bar to buy.

If any will tow a 1973 Westphalia (Full Auto) that may be in the works in the next year or so...(Another family owned vehicle...almost 30 years now)....One vehicle at a time.

Thanks everyone.
Chris
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: Towing a 1973 Beetle...Towbar Suggestions? Reply with quote

There are Super Bug specific tow bars, standard Bug tow bars wont work.

https://www.google.com/search?q=super+beetle+tow+b...p;ie=UTF-8

the plate that is attached to the super bug body for the tow bar could possibly be attached to a Bus, but Id get confirmation of that from the Bus Forum pages at the Samba.

Good Luck, Bug On, Bus On!

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Towing a 1973 Beetle...Towbar Suggestions? Reply with quote

As stated the super tow bar is unique. If you are not going to use it more than once, see how much a 2 wheel dolly from U-haul will cost. You dont need to remove the rear axles....I have flat towed VWs hundreds of miles with no issue. Assuming the car is a standard tranny....Don't know if flat towing a VW auto is any different...I dont think so, but don't know.

Oh wait - you said engine is not in. Have read on here that no engine can pose a problem, but I don't know that first hand.....
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Towing a 1973 Beetle...Towbar Suggestions? Reply with quote

andk5591 wrote:
As stated the super tow bar is unique. If you are not going to use it more than once, see how much a 2 wheel dolly from U-haul will cost. You dont need to remove the rear axles....I have flat towed VWs hundreds of miles with no issue. Assuming the car is a standard tranny....Don't know if flat towing a VW auto is any different...I dont think so, but don't know.

Oh wait - you said engine is not in. Have read on here that no engine can pose a problem, but I don't know that first hand.....

on manual shift car, no engine is no problem for towing. just make sure the tranny has oil in it, if the tranny is present. I assume you have no tranny as you state youre pulling the axles, for a manual you can leave the axles attached to the tranny. for an autostick, dont know, but autostick does have a pump driven by the motor, so more research needed if auto stick tranny is present.

Good Luck, Bug On In Tow!

Bug On

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Towing a 1973 Beetle...Towbar Suggestions? Reply with quote

I would just have a tow truck pick it up and deliver it to the new house. AAA?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Towing a 1973 Beetle...Towbar Suggestions? Reply with quote

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SolomonMan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Towing a 1973 Beetle...Towbar Suggestions? Reply with quote

All,
Thanks for the info...This is going to be a purchase...figuring If I need to tow it in the future the 100 or so bucks will pay for itself the next time I use it.

On the Auto Transmission , from memory, you must on the Westphalia disconnect the axles...I learned the hard way on a tow by a "professional" but I have rebuilt the trans a time or two over the years...The reason from tear down was one of the bearings needed more lube and the pump/converter is not spinning during tow effectively, but the axles/transfer case is spinning, and the bearing can run partially dry.

On the Beetle AutoTrans (not a full auto transmission as the VW003 in the Westphalia) has a similar situation...

Both cases I remove the half shafts...both vehicles they have been out in the last decade or so....so "should " not be a huge issue.

I will look around...are certain ones better made then others?...Suggestions?

Thanks
Chris
SolomonMan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Towing a 1973 Beetle...Towbar Suggestions? Reply with quote

Randy in Maine wrote:

In my neck of the woods...no engine means no tow...by AAA.

I may do that on the Westphalia as its drive able.... both have Classic Plates - 50 year expiration....but westphalia has not been moved much since 2003...I drove it around the block after replacing all hoses back in 2006..just before placing it in the garage. ...last major trip was back in 2003 Dad took it out just before he passed to Toronto...about 600 miles. Shortly after I got the beetle...it became the focus...life, Masters degree, and 5 kids later...here we are.

Thanks everyone,
Chris
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Towing a 1973 Beetle...Towbar Suggestions? Reply with quote

might want to protect tranny from any road debris,, cardboard and ratchet strap?
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Towing a 1973 Beetle...Towbar Suggestions? Reply with quote

AAA delivered my bus from the Auto Body shop to my house a few years ago. It was about 60 miles.
SolomonMan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Towing a 1973 Beetle...Towbar Suggestions? Reply with quote

All,
Bought the Empi one...Order a set of chains...now got to wait for the break in weather.

Thanks everyone,
Chris
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: