Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1995 Eurovan 2.5L Camper - No Heat
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Xyourobob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:32 pm    Post subject: 1995 Eurovan 2.5L Camper - No Heat Reply with quote

This is my first post on TheSamba - my Eurovan is not blowing heat out of the vents. I have replaced the thermostat and that did not solve the problem, does any one have any suggestions?
Gruppe B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: 1995 Eurovan 2.5L Camper - No Heat Reply with quote

The Eurovan heater box uses foam to direct air into the heater core. If the foam degrades and breaks up the cold outside air can bypass and go around the heater core not getting heated.

You can replace the foam without pulling the dash. I'l try and find the thread.
Gruppe B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: 1995 Eurovan 2.5L Camper - No Heat Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=671233&highlight=foam

Here is a thread showing the problem.

There is another thread showing access from under the dash without removing the whole blower assembly....
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: 1995 Eurovan 2.5L Camper - No Heat Reply with quote

I’m repairing the blend doors in a New Beetle right now.

Before...
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

After...

Now to put this flaming turd back together...

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Xyourobob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 1995 Eurovan 2.5L Camper - No Heat Reply with quote

Thanks fellas, I did see an article on this and since I had the tell tale sign of foam coming out of the dash vents I took the steps to put tape over the holes and I still have the same issue. it was tricky getting up inside the vent area so maybe I didn't cover all of the holes? I guess I need to revisit it and make sure I did cover all of the holes.
Joshwa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 1995 Eurovan 2.5L Camper - No Heat Reply with quote

There are at least two flaps to recover if not 3.
Late model cabin air filter on 93
Euro spec bumper install on 93
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Stripped66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: 1995 Eurovan 2.5L Camper - No Heat Reply with quote

It might also be worthwhile to check whether the temperature of the coolant hoses entering and leaving the heater core are hot. If one is not, then you could have a clogged heater core, or a blockage elsewhere in the Eurovan's overly complicated coolant-hose network. Something to double-check before you tear into the dash!

I don't think electrickery works that way
mkscott2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: 1995 Eurovan 2.5L Camper - No Heat Reply with quote

Quote:
You can replace the foam without pulling the dash. I'l try and find the thread.

I am in need of doing this as well... didn't realize there was an approach that didn't involve dash removal. I did a lengthy search for the thread you mention, but came up empty-handed. If you (or anyone) finds that thread or is willing to describe the "how to", I would be super-grateful![/quote]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: 1995 Eurovan 2.5L Camper - No Heat Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
I’m repairing the blend doors in a New Beetle right now.

Before...

After...

Now to put this flaming turd back together...

You just haven't suffered until you have worked on a New Beetle

Just got my air bag crash sensors free from VW, but I had to declip the car to get them off.
Joshwa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: 1995 Eurovan 2.5L Camper - No Heat Reply with quote

From what I've seen in various forums over the past, there have been 3 approaches to recovering the flaps.

1. pull just the bottom foot vents as a part of the lower console plastic. you can see one of the flaps up through the opening now. Recover that one flap. This works out if that is the only flap that wasn't working. This is the least work, and may or may not fix the issue.

2. pull just the bottom lower console plastic again, but instead of just reaching up to fix, a hole is cut in the general area of the plastic housing that could access all the flaps. recover the flaps, then reglue back in the plastic that was cut out. (I don't really care for this option)

3. Pull the dash. Pull out the blender box, recover the flaps. Reinstall the dash. Most time consuming, but will be the best way to evaluate your entire system, since you will have access to everything.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Xyourobob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 1995 Eurovan 2.5L Camper - No Heat Reply with quote

OK I definitely did not know there were more than one set of holes to cover up, I might end up pulling the dash but not before I check the hoses going to and from the heater core. If I do then I am gonna pull out dash console and send it out to be re soldered. Does anyone know of someone that does that? Or maybe that should be another forum post?
Stripped66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 1995 Eurovan 2.5L Camper - No Heat Reply with quote

Xyourobob wrote:
OK I definitely did not know there were more than one set of holes to cover up, I might end up pulling the dash but not before I check the hoses going to and from the heater core. If I do then I am gonna pull out dash console and send it out to be re soldered. Does anyone know of someone that does that? Or maybe that should be another forum post?

The heater core is aluminum with plastic end-caps. It is disposable by design.

JMB3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 1995 Eurovan 2.5L Camper - No Heat Reply with quote

Joshwa wrote:
From what I've seen in various forums over the past, there have been 3 approaches to recovering the flaps.

1. pull just the bottom foot vents as a part of the lower console plastic. you can see one of the flaps up through the opening now. Recover that one flap. This works out if that is the only flap that wasn't working. This is the least work, and may or may not fix the issue.

2. pull just the bottom lower console plastic again, but instead of just reaching up to fix, a hole is cut in the general area of the plastic housing that could access all the flaps. recover the flaps, then reglue back in the plastic that was cut out. (I don't really care for this option)

3. Pull the dash. Pull out the blender box, recover the flaps. Reinstall the dash. Most time consuming, but will be the best way to evaluate your entire system, since you will have access to everything.

In this archived thread
https://web.archive.org/web/20140813132209/http://...eID=267494

a poster named rdwalker claims to have removed the blender box without removing the dash. (If I try to go that message directly on the bentley site I get 'connection refused'.) It would be a real boon if somebody could confirm that this approach is indeed feasible.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:19 am    Post subject: Re: 1995 Eurovan 2.5L Camper - No Heat Reply with quote

Stripped66 wrote:
Xyourobob wrote:

I think he was referring to the instrument cluster.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Joshwa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:20 am    Post subject: Re: 1995 Eurovan 2.5L Camper - No Heat Reply with quote

Read the thread and it is feasible, but the word break and plastic are used together often and an acceptance that the blender box is not reinstalled with all the clips and fasteners it came out with. With the trouble that is gone through to force it out while likely breaking things, might as well pull the dash.
Stripped66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 1995 Eurovan 2.5L Camper - No Heat Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
Stripped66 wrote:
Xyourobob wrote:

I think he was referring to the instrument cluster.

Ah, I thought he was still referring to the heater core from the previous sentence.

Xyourobob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 1995 Eurovan 2.5L Camper - No Heat Reply with quote

Finally got around to pulling the van out of the garage to check the pipes coming out of the heater core and both pipes got hot, I got in the van and hot air was coming out of the vents so the problem is intermittent. I'll have to wait for another cold morning to test her again.

And yes Stripped66 and TDCTDI I was referring to the instrument cluster
Joshwa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 1995 Eurovan 2.5L Camper - No Heat Reply with quote

Xyourobob wrote:

Derek is the go to guy for this era cluster. He can get high volume of work, so turn around can be a week or two though. He's fixed a couple of clusters for me. Very good prices.

Chub's Auto Repair
605 S Cheyenne St Taylorville, IL 62568-2600
(217) 824-3954
Jooknon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 1995 Eurovan 2.5L Camper - No Heat Reply with quote

Xyourobob wrote:

I just resoldered mine a couple weeks ago, (after running out of gas for the first time). It wasn't nearly as hard as I thought it would be. And I am very inexperienced at soldering. Just bought a cheap soldering iron at harbor freight.

I just followed these instructions: http://bambergvr6.freeservers.com/EV_instrument.htm

Now I gotta do those blender flappers.

93 MV Weekender
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: