Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Speaking of POR15.....
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
NoDents
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:01 pm    Post subject: Speaking of POR15..... Reply with quote

Is it just me or is the quart POR15 can the most impossible to open... and then close properly?

Maybe I'm just a looser and can't do it right. I have had 2 cans and have had issues with both. At $50 a pop..... just saying.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Onceler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: Speaking of POR15..... Reply with quote

I gave up on POR15 when I found I can buy a gallon of Kirker DTM 2k epoxy for not much more money including activator
CiderGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:11 am    Post subject: Re: Speaking of POR15..... Reply with quote

Onceler wrote:
I gave up on POR15 when I found I can buy a gallon of Kirker DTM 2k epoxy for not much more money including activator

That's great, but what are real users reviews ? Does it last, how long has it been around, and used in auto restoration?

1970 Karmann Ghia Coupe
1973 Karmann Ghia Coupe - Project car for sale
1970 Karmann Ghia Convertible (Body off restoration)

Timing is everything
catahoula lou
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: Speaking of POR15..... Reply with quote

I had the same problem with the original can. You can either go to a paint shop and buy a similar-sized new can that you can open/close without difficulty (buy a paint can key too), or use a mason jar (they seal best as they are used to preserve canned fruits).

Just in case, I triple-bag my POR15 with gallon-sized Ziplocks to reduce loss of volatiles.
1 1958 pantina red Lowlight Ghia (the "Chili Pepper")

Still looking for:
(1) My Dad's 1955 356 (he raced it amateur-class at Riverside and other courses during 1950s),
(2) My parent's black 1955 hardtop bug (CA license plate FWC 201 or FWG 201), and
(3) My parent's agave green 1957 ragtop bug (CA license plate LFK 734).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NoDents
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: Speaking of POR15..... Reply with quote

OK, good to know it's not just me.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
catahoula lou
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Speaking of POR15..... Reply with quote

Just make damn sure to keep the POR15 from getting into the can lid groove, as it will act like epoxy and glue the lid onto the can

Best,
Thom
1 1958 pantina red Lowlight Ghia (the "Chili Pepper")

Still looking for:
(1) My Dad's 1955 356 (he raced it amateur-class at Riverside and other courses during 1950s),
(2) My parent's black 1955 hardtop bug (CA license plate FWC 201 or FWG 201), and
(3) My parent's agave green 1957 ragtop bug (CA license plate LFK 734).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Onceler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Speaking of POR15..... Reply with quote

CiderGuy wrote:
Onceler wrote:

That's great, but what are real users reviews ? Does it last, how long has it been around, and used in auto restoration?

Basically, 1k products (rustoleum, por15) are for lawn furniture and 2k products are for automotive refinishing
vwkirb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:04 am    Post subject: Re: Speaking of POR15..... Reply with quote

POR-15 is a 2k product.

It is a polyurethane, specifically a moisture curing polyurethane. Once it is exposed to atmospheric moisture it starts curing, so opening the can pretty much sets its life.

Here is a trick i used, use saran wrap on over the top of the open can, and purge the can with argon before closing it. It will greatly increase the lifespan once its been open.

If you don't have Argon for welding (I don't) you can buy some bloxygen.

https://www.amazon.com/Bloxygen-Grams-Finish-Preserver-Spray/dp/B0002088O8
Onceler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Speaking of POR15..... Reply with quote

I just know I've had adhesion problems with it before, yeah probably a prep issue, but I've never had any adhesion problems with epoxy primer+activator. It needs top coated for uv protection but so does por15. For the topcoat? Rust oleum (yeah I'm cheap)
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:21 am    Post subject: Re: Speaking of POR15..... Reply with quote

FYI - there are several different size cans of POR. Small ones cost a lot per ounce, but better than throwing away a 1/2 quart....I bought a 6 pack of pints for small stuff and quarts for big. Pretty much just figure out how much I need to sue and grab the correct size can.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: