Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What are these?
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sharp64 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:29 pm    Post subject: What are these? Reply with quote

Got some parts in with a new purchase. Emailed the seller asking but figured I’d toss them up here to see if anyone else knows? I’m guessing the two sets with the springs are steering column parts? The other two have me stumped. Never seen them before.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
flyboy161
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: What are these? Reply with quote

The second two are definitely steering column bearings. The first is a dickfer.

The 1964...Diamond in the rough
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=612776

My 1958 Morocco Bug-
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=611483
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dangermouse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:57 pm    Post subject: Re: What are these? Reply with quote

First one might be a door hinge pin presser outer?
Sharp64 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:00 pm    Post subject: Re: What are these? Reply with quote

The two items in that picture are the same. One just has a couple of bolts in the holes.

If it helps, box came with a 60 Ragtop. Car has a vintage speed 36hp.
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
parker007
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:05 pm    Post subject: Re: What are these? Reply with quote

1st is clutch bracket on tranny for split case
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sharp64 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:10 pm    Post subject: Re: What are these? Reply with quote

parker007 wrote:
1st is clutch bracket on tranny for split case

Very cool. Thank you.
Digger89L
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:44 pm    Post subject: Re: What are these? Reply with quote

Similar thing happened to me. I got a bunch of 'spare parts' with some VW stuff I bought 'sight unseen'. Turned out a bunch of the parts were indeed 'spares' ...just not VW spares. Hope you have better luck!!
Sharp64 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:27 am    Post subject: Re: What are these? Reply with quote

Digger89L wrote:
Similar thing happened to me. I got a bunch of 'spare parts' with some VW stuff I bought 'sight unseen'. Turned out a bunch of the parts were indeed 'spares' ...just not VW spares. Hope you have better luck!!

Bought the car from a long time member here. He had mentioned some spares but hadn't enumerated them. Everything has been relevant, just never had a split case tranny before so didn't recognize it.
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: What are these? Reply with quote

Items in order:

1. Clutch bowden tube bracket for the split case transaxles (1960 down.)

2. That appears to be the steering column bearing and insulating sleeves for a 1960-1961 Beetle. Those are rather rare, there are people out there looking for the plastic parts in unbroken condition.

3. 1962-1967 Beetle steering column bearing. For comparison to #2, you can see how those bearings will not insulate the steering shaft from the outer tube.
Sharp64 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: What are these? Reply with quote

EVfun wrote:
Items in order:

1. Clutch bowden tube bracket for the split case transaxles (1960 down.)

2. That appears to be the steering column bearing and insulating sleeves for a 1960-1961 Beetle. Those are rather rare, there are people out there looking for the plastic parts in unbroken condition.

3. 1962-1967 Beetle steering column bearing. For comparison to #2, you can see how those bearings will not insulate the steering shaft from the outer tube.

Seller responded and confirmed the same, thanks. Now I know how to label them.
h~moto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:07 pm    Post subject: Re: What are these? Reply with quote

The clutch tube bracket for split cases are susceptible to breakage so if you don't own an early Beetle, I would think it would be an easy sell in the classified section.
Sharp64 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: What are these? Reply with quote

h~moto wrote:
The clutch tube bracket for split cases are susceptible to breakage so if you don't own an early Beetle, I would think it would be an easy sell in the classified section.

I do now...Ill be keeping them.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: