Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Couldn’t pass this up, my $4500 new project
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Couldn’t pass this up, my $4500 new project Reply with quote

No I was just telling a story about my VIN issues and inspections.
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Couldn’t pass this up, my $4500 new project Reply with quote

Pruneman99 wrote:
No I was just telling a story about my VIN issues and inspections.

Right, no, I get that....I was more referring to the OP's storyline Wink
Keith
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Couldn’t pass this up, my $4500 new project Reply with quote

Busstom wrote:
Did I miss something? If the car didn't come from out-of-state, the DMV is likely not going to want to inspect it.

The pic of your VIN that looks like ancient chiseled stone: is that the pan? It totally looks stamped to me, not raised.

I say you're going to be fine, and be able to do whatever you want with it.....such as, DRIVE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT Twisted Evil

Pan vin numbers are stamped from the factory, not raised.

"I firmly believe that some villagers from Botswana could probably build a better road than PennDot."- Splitty

"If you do anything to your car someone will hate on you for it. People absolutely love to complain and find fault with others. Don't let it bother you. Just live and have fun."- Lind
Teeroy Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Couldn’t pass this up, my $4500 new project Reply with quote

66 pan will be ball joint, heater control will be levers on each side of Ebrake not twist knob in front of it. Pan numbers and body tag could both be swapped
ARR #3
www.autosportsnorthwest.org
Mark Evans Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:32 am    Post subject: Re: Couldn’t pass this up, my $4500 new project Reply with quote

Does it have a ball joint front end?
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:07 am    Post subject: Re: Couldn’t pass this up, my $4500 new project Reply with quote

Its a Franken bug. I am saying its a nice VW. By golly its still a Franken bug that some of us have scene before.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
HippyTom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:26 am    Post subject: Re: Couldn’t pass this up, my $4500 new project Reply with quote

Larser wrote:
Pruneman99 wrote:
The vin on my car was verified multiple times by the DMV and CHP. The fake plate was never discovered. It was worked in that well.

How many digits long is your VIN? My fake one was one digit too long, and I missed it d'oh!

There are 9 digits

A 63 VIN is only 7 numbers. And on your VIN tag the VIN number won't include the raised up 116 digits. It will only include stamped numbers.
EMPIImp69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Couldn’t pass this up, my $4500 new project Reply with quote

This is why you just keep this VIN info to yourself, go register your car in your name, drive and enjoy it, and then post pics of your car here...
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Couldn’t pass this up, my $4500 new project Reply with quote

^ agreed..

The can of worms was not opened about the VIN .. until the owner/topic starter claimed it was a 1965.. after that..

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
OCWest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Couldn’t pass this up, my $4500 new project Reply with quote

EMPIImp69 wrote:
This is why you just keep this VIN info to yourself, go register your car in your name, drive and enjoy it, and then post pics of your car here...

Well I kind of disagree because it's best to be informed about a project you're about to start then to dive in, invest thousands of dollars only to find out you don't have exactly what you thought you did. Everybody here has been a great help and I'm very appreciative about everybody's input. Since the previous owner and I are friends and he's more than willing to refund my money I'm not too concerned about it and if the car doesn't" pan" out I can decide which way to go. Either way I think it's a great car and it will be fun to drive
HippyTom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Couldn’t pass this up, my $4500 new project Reply with quote

Larser wrote:
EMPIImp69 wrote:

Well I kind of disagree because it's best to be informed about a project you're about to start then to dive in, invest thousands of dollars only to find out you don't have exactly what you thought you did. Everybody here has been a great help and I'm very appreciative about everybody's input. Since the previous owner and I are friends and he's more than willing to refund my money I'm not too concerned about it and if the car doesn't" pan" out I can decide which way to go. Either way I think it's a great car and it will be fun to drive

I feel super bad about you getting yourself into this can of worms. Just to help you out, I'll sacrifice and give you $4500 for the car to bail you out of trouble. PM me and I'll rescue from this shitstorm. I'm here to help. My motto, "give, give...never take,"
50ate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Couldn’t pass this up, my $4500 new project Reply with quote

I don’t see a defrost vent center of dash.. that started 65 I believe? So that would make the body atleast -64.. you can look under the dash there and see if it’s been welded up.. looks like a hell of a car for 4500$ numbers or no numbers
OCWest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Couldn’t pass this up, my $4500 new project Reply with quote

Just curious what the DMV is going to label it as. As long as it registers I’ll be stoked and since the DMV already verified it all I have to do is wait and see what year they stamp on it.
50ate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Couldn’t pass this up, my $4500 new project Reply with quote

Larser wrote:
Just curious what the DMV is going to label it as. As long as it registers I’ll be stoked and since the DMV already verified it all I have to do is wait and see what year they stamp on it.

In my history with registering beetles they want the pan number that is it. Iv never had anyone look if It had a title.. state inspections they always look at the pan here in Washington.
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Couldn’t pass this up, my $4500 new project Reply with quote

50ate wrote:
I don’t see a defrost vent center of dash.. that started 65 I believe? So that would make the body atleast -64.. you can look under the dash there and see if it’s been welded up.. looks like a hell of a car for 4500$ numbers or no numbers

Center vent started in '66.

Regarding can of worms, I think it's been interesting...not often we get to see an obscure mystery VIN. Looking forward to the outcome.
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Couldn’t pass this up, my $4500 new project Reply with quote

The DMV will title it as a 1966.

But who cares? Yes, it's a frankenbug, but the nicest frankenbug I've seen. Does the car care what the numbers are on the pan? no. As long as your not going for resale value, it's an awesome car to start with. Hell, I'd fill up the tank and drive the wheels off it as is.

And as far as numbers matching blah blah blah, I don't car a bit. I'm driving a 1965 with a 1966 pan. '65 body, BJ '66 pan an front end, all the better IMO.

My earlier posts were just a warning NOT to dump a bunch of $$$ into it before you had a title in hand, and ensured the VIN in the pan wasn't welded over or some craziness. If it's a '66 pan with a '63 body who cares? The title follows the pan, not the body.

The car I won't touch is one with non-matching pan and body, And the title matches the body, not the pan.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: