Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bolt-on Swivel Seat for Vanagons
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dubbified
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ah, the eurocampers swivel which there were no instruction for..

I snagged two, and cut out the rails from the other seat..

I thought I was being crafty.. and that the seat would sit a tad lower.

DO NOT DO THAT. These swivels mount just as in this thread.

clean install, nice detail on the cover!
brab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How does it fit if you are shorter? Say 5' 3" or so? I would like to put one on the drivers side but don't want my (shorter then me) wife's legs not to touch the peddles.

Brian
dubbified
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

effectively you can move the plate, bolt it where you like..

I moved ours back about an inch or so, as the lady and I are both tall.
Jedi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have put these in a few of my Vanagons over the years and love the clean install as well. I do not recommend cutting off the cover plate like he did as that is a fire hazard. Shocked I like the mount in the rail technique as it can be removed and moved to the next Vanagon if you buy different one. I have noticed that once every year or so the big nut that holds it all together gets loose and needs to be tightened up Rolling Eyes other than that you can't beat these. I am surprised at how many people here are just now paying attention to this great product Laughing
http://www.busdepot.com/details.jsp?partnumber=59500
1964 Westfalia SO33 pearl white
1965 Westfalia SO42 Velvet green
1986 Syncro Wolfram grey with black int GL
1986 Syncro Doka
1987 Syncro Sevana beige Adventurewagen
1987 syncro Sevana beige GL
1973 Pumpkin orange Thing
2 1963 Rag top bug's
1965 Manx
1970 Single cab
1971 combi
1990 Vanagon GL
2007 Audi A4 3.2L quattro
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
73thingsale
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:03 pm    Post subject: This is brilliant... Reply with quote

An excellent write-up!

That part about turning the seat around and re-installing facing the rear...BRILLIANT!

I just did it in my garage, took under 2 minutes, and WOW, how much space it seems to open up. Our van is a GL, came with the middle 2-person bench. We have removed it since my clan is only 2 adults and 2 kids presently, and holy smoke, how much room is in this bad boy!

Possibly could work out a method to re-install the driver backward, but you'd have to slide it onto the rails from the rear due to the steering wheel and that would require some carpet mods looks like. Hmmm.

Bravo for the post.
lemonspeed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just finished this mod 👍. Took me an hour as I had a time cutting the battery cover and the worst is fiddling with the nuts on the front 2 bolts - trick is to get a skinny flat head under them and hold me up for the bolt to grab .
Also note that this kit from eurocampers has changed from the OG post here and the bolts are all correct length now . All in all pretty happy with it as I missed this feature coming from a Westy ! Happy Easter
73 Transporter (sold) "chloe"
80 Vanagon (sold) "brownie"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
katzenjammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just installed the swivel base from Eurocamper in my multivan. It was tricky getting the two new holes in the rear to line up perfectly with the "two nuts on a plate". I had to drill over-sized holes, but I think that's fine.

As for the battery cover, I just took it off (drilled out the rivets) and let the carpet be the "cover", with the excess tucked under the seat base. I think the positive terminal is well-shielded with the plastic cover.

I like the product, and it's worth it to me not to wrestle with getting the damn seat off the rails and back on every time we arrive at camp (which can be multiple times/camp if we leave for a day trip).

Dan
Steve O.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone have issues turning the driver swivel seat to the rear-facing position? I have an '82 and a previous owner welded the swivel plates. (By the way I do not recommend welding the seats in unless you can do so without closing off the valuable accessory space under the seat.)

The steering wheel prevents full rotation, which renders the upgrade useless. I mean, it's not even close. I have tried every position (lower/raising back rest, forward and back, etc.).
j_dirge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve O. wrote:
Does anyone have issues turning the driver swivel seat to the rear-facing position? I have an '82 and a previous owner welded the swivel plates. (By the way I do not recommend welding the seats in unless you can do so without closing off the valuable accessory space under the seat.)

The steering wheel prevents full rotation, which renders the upgrade useless. I mean, it's not even close. I have tried every position (lower/raising back rest, forward and back, etc.).

My 89 Westy GL has the stock swivels.

Yes the steering wheel interferes with swiveling the eat more than 90 degs facing towards the passenger seat. And even in this position the seat must be very "upright" to fit.
I found it pretty uncomfortable.

I believe the design intent was to allow the driver seat to only rotate to face the table that fits between the passenger and driver seats. For meals?

The arrangement is not very user-friendly.. darn near impossible to get into that seat with the table in its stand.. even of rotated out to gain access.
I have never used it in regular camping.

I did set it up once in the driveway and thought.. "That's not a very comfortable or practical setup.." and from that point forward have never bothered to use the drive seat swivel again.

Others may ave a sweet spot that works for them. I certainly did not.

-57 pan f/g buggy with a 67 pancake Type 3 "S"
"Jimi Hendrix owned one. Richard Nixon did not"
-Grand Tour, Season 1, episodes 4 and 5

danfromsyr wrote:
those are straight line runs with light weight race cars for only 1/4mile at a time..
not pushing a loaded brick up a mountain pass with a family of 4+ inside expecting to have an event free vacation..
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

j_dirge wrote:
I believe the design intent was to allow the driver seat to only rotate to face the table that fits between the passenger and driver seats. For meals?

Well, in the full-camper, even if you could rotate it 180°, it wouldn't be very a comfortable sitting position:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Wink

In my van, the left armrest has to be lowered in order to get the full 90° rotation... annoying. When parked, I put my clothes bag on the driver's seat. I haven't swiveled my driver's seat in years.

If you install a smaller steering wheel, you might be able to get the full 180º. Question
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
alohah3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Bolt-on Swivel Seat for Vanagons Reply with quote

has anyone tried out the cheaper K&M swivel seat? Its available at Northern Tool for under $100 including shipping (mainland)
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200487875_200487875
, and a little more expensive on Amazon. Swivel lever is on the side vice centered. Good pix including bolt hole specs at
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005JIZS64/ref=nav_timeline_asin?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1. Its snowing out in VA and I don't want to fool around with the seat.

dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Bolt-on Swivel Seat for Vanagons Reply with quote

Sorry to say, I wouldn't want that big lever sticking out into the aisle between the front seats.
Haven't installed my camper swivel into my Weekender yet, but looking forward to having
the option...plan to get to it this spring... Cool

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
mugford
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Bolt-on Swivel Seat for Vanagons Reply with quote

I just installed the bolt-on swivel adapter on the passenger side and I'm not happy with it impeding access to the battery. I've even installed it 'forward' by one bolt position
using four bolts instead of the supplied eight.

Currently looking for a semi-removable solution that allows the front to be secured with a hinge or tab-in-slot thing so that I can tip the rear of the seat mount up.
The challenge is securing the rear edge without too much chopping & welding. Using wingnuts or the equivalent at the rear would then allow me to retain the original
battery cover tucked under the swivel mount.

I'll definitely post some pics when I come up with a viable approach.
Slimvest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Bolt-on Swivel Seat for Vanagons Reply with quote

RE: http://www.eurocampers.com/Vanagon-Swivel-Adapter-_p_605.html

Anybody have this and it squeaks loudly whenever a passenger is seated and driving over bumps? When my wife is sitting shotgun, the creaking is driving me nuts.

Saw someone noting the main bold needs tightening every so often, but I'm wondering if there is a hack to put in the plastic slides similar to GoWesty's to keep things more stable.
http://www.gowesty.com/product-details.php?id=23883
laroche.chris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Bolt-on Swivel Seat for Vanagons Reply with quote

I just got my swivel seat adapter plate and thought I’d read up before putting it on.
I am concerned about accessing the battery. Someone out there must have done it in a way the battery can be accessed? (Then again, how often do I access that battery...).
I’m also a little confused about the parts to attach it, specifically the two pieces that are about 2” long and have the holes in them. Where do these go and how do you get them there?
Otherwise it seems pretty straight forward...
Aryana
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:03 am    Post subject: Re: Bolt-on Swivel Seat for Vanagons Reply with quote

Swivel seat installed in my tintop with access to the battery via a remote quick connector out the front of the pedestal. It’s very easy to reach in under the seat and plug it in. If you wanted to, you could cut out the front wall of the pedestal to give you even more access to the connector from the front (like the OP of this thread showed).

If you don't like that setup, you can always cut a hole and mount the plug on top of the pedestal just outboard of the battery cover. You'd have to cut a hole in the cover to allow the cables to pass through outside of the pedestal. I have a young child and preferred having the connector hidden away.

Last edited by Aryana on Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:12 am; edited 2 times in total
Aryana
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:07 am    Post subject: Re: Bolt-on Swivel Seat for Vanagons Reply with quote

laroche.chris wrote:
I just got my swivel seat adapter plate and thought I’d read up before putting it on.
I am concerned about accessing the battery. Someone out there must have done it in a way the battery can be accessed? (Then again, how often do I access that battery...).
I’m also a little confused about the parts to attach it, specifically the two pieces that are about 2” long and have the holes in them. Where do these go and how do you get them there?
Otherwise it seems pretty straight forward...

The nut plates slide inside your original seat rail and the bolts go through the swivel base, then through a hole in the rail, and into the nut plate. When you tighten the bolt it sandwiches everything together securing the swivel base.

If you didn't have the nut plates, you'd have to try and slide a nut inside the rail, somehow line it up with the hole that the bolts will be coming down through, and then you'd have to somehow jam it from rotating as you tighten the bolt. The nut plate solves all those problems. It's quite evident how it all works when you have the kit in hand.
pinetreeporsche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mackaymanx wrote:
jbart wrote:
I am planning to add a swivel too, but my concern here is your exposed terminals in relationship to the swivel bracket. the photo looks like they are touching. possible short coming in the near future?

He is missing the proper plastic cover for the battery terminal

Should probably glue a layer off semi rigid plastic or rubber on the underside of the cut-down cover. The cut made it more flexible, so treatment - both the battery terminal cap and the insurance of a non-conductive material on the underside of the cover.
takeiteasy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Bolt-on Swivel Seat for Vanagons Reply with quote

Just want to confirm - you cannot remove the battery when this installed ?

"With your past and your future precisely divided.
Am I at that moment? I haven't decided."
dabaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oorwullie wrote:
just a wee tip for people who want to be able to have a rear facing passenger seat at absolutely no cost whatsoever: you simply slide the seat forwards and off the rails and re- install it facing backwards. Idea

i was reading up on swivel bases for my tin top GL and found this bit of "secret knowledge"

thank you oorwullie for this post, you saved me from myself.

i love cool things that cost nothing.

BiWerks Design, LLC
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: