Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

'68 Daily Driver Restoration
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: '68 Daily Driver Restoration Reply with quote

Yep, looking good!
Quote:
I welded studs to the rear of speedo opening to attach the beetle speedo

I did the same thing. I also had to ever so slightly open the hole a little larger.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
SambanistaRebel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: '68 Daily Driver Restoration Reply with quote

Where'd you get the diamond pattern vinyl for the dash? Is it a whole dash pad kit or did you stretch the material yourself? If you stretched it yourself, what's the dash pad made from? Great look and the grommets are a nice touch.
ghiacrazy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: '68 Daily Driver Restoration Reply with quote

Dash piece is a fiberglass unit from glass-action.com. They make tons of VW products and two Ghia dashes. I was going to go another route and bought and painted a full dash unit to overlay the original. I changed my mind and bought just the dash pad. I recommend both products. I bonded studs to the dash bottom that you can get a nut on from behind the dash. Vinyl is marine grade from Amazon, generic stuff. I also opened up a speaker hole for use of a single 4x10 speaker, and epoxied the grille guard into the dash.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

ghiacrazy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: '68 Daily Driver Restoration Reply with quote

Plugging away at the wiring, and laying down sound deadener. Also had time to replace master cylinder.

ghiacrazy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:03 pm    Post subject: Re: '68 Daily Driver Restoration Reply with quote

Red Kote gas tank sealer

Sweet chrome trim solution.

Nasty chrome cover-up with metallic chrome vinyl wrap.

67Vw2387
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:05 am    Post subject: Re: '68 Daily Driver Restoration Reply with quote

looks awesome ! I love the silver too
ghiacrazy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: '68 Daily Driver Restoration Reply with quote

Added two kinds of leds. One is a high mounted third brake light and because I don't have original bulbs, the other is a reverse light mounted to license plate.

c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: '68 Daily Driver Restoration Reply with quote

Nice work, and a 68 would originally have had reverse lights. Its what the holes in the rear bumper are used for.

ghiacrazy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: '68 Daily Driver Restoration Reply with quote

Your ghia looks great, especially in that blue! My 68 didn't have any when I bought it and the replacements are too expensive for what they are.
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: '68 Daily Driver Restoration Reply with quote

ghiacrazy wrote:
Your ghia looks great, especially in that blue! My 68 didn't have any when I bought it and the replacements are too expensive for what they are.

I have the complete unit for the back-up lights - from the wiring to the lights themselves, but I'm not going to install them. I'm going to steal your idea of LED lights mounted on the back number plate.

Have you considered installing the high stop light in the vents in the rear hood? It works quite well in that position and tidies up the rear parcel shelf area.

Last edited by kiwighia68 on Mon Jul 03, 2017 4:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
ghiacrazy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: '68 Daily Driver Restoration Reply with quote

I'm glad you like the idea! My led unit bolted right up but I did drill through the deck lid behind the plate to hide the wires. The led cost just $12 on Amazon. Rectangular lights never appealed to me anyhow, remind me of the autos of the 80's. I've seen inside the vent mount leds but safety is my deciding factor and in that regard a higher mount is safer for the potentially lowered ghia.
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: '68 Daily Driver Restoration Reply with quote

ghiacrazy wrote:
I'm glad you like the idea! My led unit bolted right up but I did drill through the deck lid behind the plate to hide the wires. The led cost just $12 on Amazon. Rectangular lights never appealed to me anyhow, remind me of the autos of the 80's. I've seen inside the vent mount leds but safety is my deciding factor and in that regard a higher mount is safer for the potentially lowered ghia.

I watched in awe as a master crafstman prepared a repair panel for the bottom part of my Ghia's rear hood before he welded it in place. There's no way I'm going to drill holes in it. But I am going to look for a way to copy your back-up light system.
ghiacrazy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: '68 Daily Driver Restoration Reply with quote

I can live with a 1/8 in hole behind the plate. You can also run the wire up and through the holes associated with the license frame light assembly.
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: '68 Daily Driver Restoration Reply with quote

@ Kiwi,
Chris, I have little lites on my plate and ran the wire thru the running lites on the lift handle. I pulled power there, different use (mine are running lights)...but once you are up into the handle you are inside the engine compartment and NO holes. Full disclosure, I drilled into the plastic lense...but I have several spares Very Happy
The lift handles are usually arched so I think it can be done w/o drilling the replaceable lens. Cool First pics shows arch in lift handle.

kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: '68 Daily Driver Restoration Reply with quote

Thanks Darrel. It looks like the way to go.
KGCoupe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: '68 Daily Driver Restoration Reply with quote

c21darrel wrote:
@ Kiwi,
Chris, I have little lites on my plate and ran the wire thru the running lites on the lift handle. I pulled power there, different use (mine are running lights)...but once you are up into the handle you are inside the engine compartment and NO holes. Full disclosure, I drilled into the plastic lense...but I have several spares Very Happy
The lift handles are usually arched so I think it can be done w/o drilling the replaceable lens. Cool First pics shows arch in lift handle.

Good suggestion and a nice neat solution, my other brother Darrel.

Now that I've made a comment relevant to the topic, allow me to ask if having the "Month" and "Year" license plate decals each hanging seperately like that is the norm or another one of your custom innovations?

Here in Illinois we have a single decal with both month and year of expiration (no state budget for years now, so they cut costs wherever they can Smile ), and it must get affixed to the upper right hand corner of the license plate.
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: '68 Daily Driver Restoration Reply with quote

Quote:
Good suggestion and a nice neat solution, my other brother Darrel.

Now that I've made a comment relevant to the topic, allow me to ask if having the "Month" and "Year" license plate decals each hanging seperately like that is the norm or another one of your custom innovations?

Here in Illinois we have a single decal with both month and year of expiration (no state budget for years now, so they cut costs wherever they can Smile ), and it must get affixed to the upper right hand corner of the license plate.

I got the separate tag holders from the DMV, its part of the YOM licensing program. I dont recall all the rules, I think I am supposed to have an original 1968 tag on the plate and the current mo/year on the 2 tags. Normally they are placed on the upper plate mounting holes. On a KG, because of the lift handle I could only use the lower license plate holes to mount them. The friendly local sheriff enjoys pulling me over because when the tags were on the lower license plate holes the towel bar blocked their view. At least in his opinion. In fact he didnt believe I got the tag holders from the DMV, even after showing him the mounting instructions from the DMV. That pic shows how I avoid his badgering.

At least the OG poster is in so cal so this isnt a complete hi-jacking of his thread, just 90%.
tims57LL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: '68 Daily Driver Restoration Reply with quote

Did your wife ever have the twins?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KGCoupe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: '68 Daily Driver Restoration Reply with quote

tims57LL wrote:
Did your wife ever have the twins?

If she did, perhaps it would be just the excuse needed to go out and buy a twin carburetor setup.

...at least it sounds like a completely legit excuse to me, anyway. Smile
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: '68 Daily Driver Restoration Reply with quote

Nice !!!

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: