Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My First Beetle Project- 1964
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
pilottangocharlie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: My First Beetle Project- 1964 Reply with quote

A correct rear apron is just about back on the car. When I purchased the Beetle it had a later apron that was attached at the top with a sheet metal screw on each side.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I will also be doing a “fuel line-ectomy” as the original has a good size leak at the front attach tab.

rwf8ball
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: My First Beetle Project- 1964 Reply with quote

Where did you get your car blasted at? I'm in Dallas Texas not far from you, it looks like they did a good job. I would like to try them if the price is right, by the way how much did you pay? if you don't mind me asking.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pilottangocharlie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:45 am    Post subject: Re: My First Beetle Project- 1964 Reply with quote

The company that is doing the body work had a third party do the sand blasting and I am guessing they have some sort of agreement on special pricing. The blasting was done at Powder & Protective Coatings of Texas. They are in Dallas as well. We separated all the parts there and they charged $250.
turbotype1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: My First Beetle Project- 1964 Reply with quote

car looks solid.... nice way to start a project .

smokin deal on the blasting by the way
This new fad of get it the lowest, or run it with the worst looks, (patina) isn't cool, it's for the hey everyone look at me crowd, i'm driving a beat down ratty, unsafe, VW, how cool am I ???...your not....

Pissing off the purists since 1997

Wanted: Boyd Motors plate frame

57 Turbo Oval Sliding rag
67 13 window delux walk-thru- now 21
64 all original for the misses
83 Sinka m-TDI diesel
rwf8ball
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: My First Beetle Project- 1964 Reply with quote

OK thanks I will definitely give them a call.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pilottangocharlie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: My First Beetle Project- 1964 Reply with quote

No photos until I get into the shop tomorrow, but today I went to Portland, OR to pick up a very nice correct decklid that will replace the one that has been cut up on mine. Somewhere along the way the hinge area on my original one was cut and welded and the hinges aren’t in their proper place causing the decklid to sit off to one side.

The seller also had a set of square boss heads that will need to be rebuilt so I picked those up as well.

I shipped everything back to myself in Texas as the decklid was a little big to carry on the Boeing.

A few repairs are underway on the heater channel areas where they are starting to rust on the lower surface.
pilottangocharlie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: My First Beetle Project- 1964 Reply with quote

Yesterday turned out somewhat productive. I started by running a tap through every nut on the pan. I then got the beam on the frame and bent the new brake lines.

While I was working on that she was putting the pan seal on with nails. It turned out looking great.

pilottangocharlie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: My First Beetle Project- 1964 Reply with quote

Engine parts should be done this week and I was eager to see how the accessories would look together so I did a mock-up using a spare case I had in the garage. I think it is safe to say I’m ready to build my first VW engine.

pilottangocharlie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: My First Beetle Project- 1964 Reply with quote

The project has been a little slow in the last few weeks, but I did pick up the engine parts from the machine shop this week and have started putting the 40HP 1200 together that will power the car. This is my first air-cooled engine rebuild and I couldn't have asked for a better machine shop. Automotive Machine and Supply in Cleburne, TX did the machine work and completely rebuilt a set of '65 373 heads I picked up on eBay for $30/ea. Now to get a running engine hung on the chassis before the body is ready to drop on.

pilottangocharlie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: My First Beetle Project- 1964 Reply with quote

Slowly getting the 40HP back together. I got everything together and the halves joined and the upper rear camshaft stud threads were trashed. I tried to repair them while the case was together, but just couldn't. I decided to pull it all back apart, repair the threads, clean all the internals, and have a second go at it.

GB2S
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: My First Beetle Project- 1964 Reply with quote

Was the fuel line ectomy success?

Geoff
pilottangocharlie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: My First Beetle Project- 1964 Reply with quote

GB2S wrote:
Was the fuel line ectomy success?

Geoff

I haven't tackled that yet. I began by following the Bentley procedure, but pulling the rear section out has proved a little more difficult.
scrivyscriv
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 1:44 am    Post subject: Re: My First Beetle Project- 1964 Reply with quote

I just realized we have the exact same FH workbench Laughing
I used 2x6 for the side legs since I planned on mounting my vise and gratuitously beating things on it! Would definitely build another one again if I needed to.
If you're ever in the Memphis area, you are welcome to stop by for advice and help.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pilottangocharlie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: My First Beetle Project- 1964 Reply with quote

scrivyscriv wrote:
I used 2x6 for the side legs since I planned on mounting my vise and gratuitously beating things on it! Would definitely build another one again if I needed to.

That is it! I think I spent a Friday evening and Saturday morning building it. It is pretty stout, but having the engine hanging off the corner is a slight challenge for it. I don't think I will trust the complete engine hanging out there.
scrivyscriv
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: My First Beetle Project- 1964 Reply with quote

pilottangocharlie wrote:
scrivyscriv wrote:

That is it! I think I spent a Friday evening and Saturday morning building it. It is pretty stout, but having the engine hanging off the corner is a slight challenge for it. I don't think I will trust the complete engine hanging out there.

No you’re right, I wouldn’t trust it to hold that much weight with such a big arm either. Check out the hydraulic lift carts they have at Northern Tools or Harbor Freight - I just picked up the engine for my ‘65, and the owner transferred it from the top of a 30gal drum in to the bed of my truck with one of those carts. Talk about the easy button.
If you're ever in the Memphis area, you are welcome to stop by for advice and help.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pilottangocharlie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: My First Beetle Project- 1964 Reply with quote

Nearing completion of the engine. I just need to pressurize the oil system, drop the pushrods in, and adjust the valves before the first start.

pilottangocharlie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:56 pm    Post subject: Re: My First Beetle Project- 1964 Reply with quote

A small update on the project.

I have been working here and there with the engine to get it running as good as I can. I ran into fuel pump leak problems during the first run, but managed to suspend a fuel can over the carb to bypass the leaking pump. I thought I had one of the bad rebuild kits so I purchased another from the classifieds here. Upon rebuilding a second pump it leaked the same as the first so I tried tightening the six pump half screw VERY tight and that stopped the leaking. I've got about an hour of run time on the engine and it is running superb. The carburetor I pulled from the junk yard has a throttle shaft that is a little loose and will drip fuel if any is sitting on top of the throttle plate, but other than that it is okay. I will work with it for now and look into a solution later before the car hits the road.

Now to get the transmission back together and onto the pan..

A photo of the nearly completed engine on the test stand this evening after some more runs to test the rebuilt fuel pump. I will have the rear engine tin fitted soon.

pilottangocharlie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:04 pm    Post subject: Re: My First Beetle Project- 1964 Reply with quote

Inspired by anthracitedub and his transmission tear down and rebuild thread I set out to get the transmission apart that came in the car when I bought it. This was a good running transmission that had no problems from the little that I drove the car before starting the restoration.

I was hesitant to dive deep into the transmission as I have never messed with them, but I finally decided to give it a shot.

This evening after our family dinner date we went and picked up a cheap twelve ton press. The rest is history....

I made it through getting both gear stacks and gear carrier disassembled and the parts mostly cleaned up. It may be a little overkill, but I bagged the parts as this is a total newbie that will be putting it all back together. I have to say this is amazing fun to get to learn how this box of gears really works. Very Happy

dodgerodder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: My First Beetle Project- 1964 Reply with quote

You’re making great progress!

What did you cost the pan with? It looks really good!

Looks like the texture is smooth, some of the bed liner coatings are really sharp & rough
pilottangocharlie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: My First Beetle Project- 1964 Reply with quote

The pan is covered in bedliner that was cut down before applying so it isn’t as rough as it would be normally.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: