Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Replacing my case newer cam profile advice please
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
terryly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:52 pm    Post subject: Replacing my case newer cam profile advice please Reply with quote

Hello Doing my annual clean,inspect,fix and upgrade this year. I was messing around with mocking up a turbo to my already built 2180. Picked up a td04 turbo and made some flanges and got a good idea of air water inter-cooler and plumbing. I will now have 2 different exhaust configurations from the collector flange back 1 N/a and 1 turbo. I should be able to swap my existing intake filter plumbing set up to the turbo plumbing quickly and easily.
Also Part of this years upgrades is to replace the mag case with an aluminum case. For my application I thought this would be better. I do beat on this car pretty hard.
In looking for a new case the local VW supplier did not carry one with a sand seal in stock and I would have to order another or cut a new one. Meanwhile I happend to find a new never used 92 x 86 Autolinea aluminum case that has the sand seal. Turns out it got piston squirters installed but never built or cleaned up. I picked this case up for about the same $ as a new case from bug shop win/win I hope.
Previously I was running a Engle W110 and 1.25 :1 rockers with swivel balls. And the car worked real good for its purpose What I am thinking of is trying a newer style cam With a good quality ratio rocker like CBs 1.4 and perhaps some behive springs ??
What I would really like is options for a real good bottom end torque cam that might stretch the upper rpm out a little. I would run this naturally aspirated this coming season while collecting the remaining water/air intercooler plumbing and water/meth injection parts

So what do you think any thoughts on a cam choice ?

Here is the engine specs of from last two seasons
as21 mag case hand clearenced { changing to Autolinea alum with hoover mods}
full flow
26mm o ring berg oil pump {going to 30mm double o ring pump}
Berg pressure relief cover {changing to remote by-pass }
Mocal oil temperature by-pass
Seatrab oil cooler with fan
82 forged CB? crank
92 AA thick wall P/C {not forged }
5.4 chev H beam rods AA?
Engle W 110 cam {[changing to ???}
Udo Becker tool steel lifters
Magnum strait cut adjustable cam gears {where to get offset washers ? }
1-1/2 Trimil bobtail/cat exhaust
CB los ponchito CNC ported 94mm heads 40x35 valves vw dual springs{behive?}
1.25 swivel ball rockers with berg/scatt ?solid shaft {CB 1.4 ?}
dual 42 mm MPH idf style throttle bodies
32 lb Five O injectors {adjust when turboed }
sled tins and thermostat
002 bus trans { have a 091/1 to put in for this season }

And now for some pics of what I am tinkering with
rear of car and naturally aspirated air filter and plumbing
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

fuel injection mod

Pruposed Turbo exaust and air to water intercooler plumbing planning

mounted up the turbo

reclocked it and turned it around

Mocked up to same size cardboard air/water intercooler and inventoried connections needed also made the T connection out of 2 1/2 exhaust pipe sorry no pic

I use the car both on and off road. Alot of the times OK more often than not it takes pretty aggressive launches turning 32x11.5 tires so I am sure its not easy on tranny's or cases Embarassed It also does have very good low speed manners since fuel injection and I really need to preserve that with the new cam.... for up hill starts, technical driving like around trees or objects , hanging off some mountain trail and muddy starts where a lot of wheel spin might not be wanted

So yea lets hear it cam choices

Thanks all I learn and put to use a ton here
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
66brm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:06 am    Post subject: Re: Replacing my case newer cam profile advice please Reply with quote

What compression do you have currently?

modok wrote:
I am an expert at fitting things in holes, been doing it a long time
terryly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:43 am    Post subject: Re: Replacing my case newer cam profile advice please Reply with quote

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rodeking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:59 am    Post subject: Re: Replacing my case newer cam profile advice please Reply with quote

That's a mean looking rig, any more pics of the car?
terryly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:18 am    Post subject: Re: Replacing my case newer cam profile advice please Reply with quote

Thank you

calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: Replacing my case newer cam profile advice please Reply with quote

what ate those perforated tubes for on the rear fenders ?
terryly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: Replacing my case newer cam profile advice please Reply with quote

They are aluminum tubes I keep a shovel and axe in them
rodeking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacing my case newer cam profile advice please Reply with quote

Man, that is bad-ass, I luv it.

Where are you going to put the radiator for the air/water IC?

What CR are you planning with the turbo?
terryly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacing my case newer cam profile advice please Reply with quote

I have one picked out that will mount at the rear of the roof rack 27" x 7" I believe. Thinking of also putting the Seatrab oil cooler up there behind the radiator Along with another inline. Fans can come on with oil temp or any other input from the ECU. I figured putting them behind would keep the oil heat off the inter cooler radiator. Located up there they should be protected, air will get pushed through at road speed And under high loads and low ground speed [like chewing through long mud stretches or clawing up a rocky pass] the fans can take over. Actually I would like to disable the VW case oil pressure/cooling system and just run external cooling and controls. I have found my oil cooler caked with mud... It does heat up dry up and mostly cake and fall off but I some times wonder how much cooling it is actually doing under some circumstances
rodeking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: Replacing my case newer cam profile advice please Reply with quote

At the present 9.2 static you'll be at like 10.5 effective CR at your elevation with 7 psi boost. The dynamic CR will be even less depending on the cam. Don't know enough about these engines to know what effective CR you can run with water/meth? Is that a 13T? Are you going to run the IC water thru the CHRA?
Bugsy61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: Replacing my case newer cam profile advice please Reply with quote

I use an Engle 100 in my 2332 with 8 pounds boost. I get 232 ft.lbs. of torque at 8 psi at 3200 RPM. That would make for a nice off road set-up with your tall tires. Honestly, I wish I had gone slightly bigger, like a Web 218, but mine is a street car, also with tall tires.
rodeking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: Replacing my case newer cam profile advice please Reply with quote

What is your static CR?
Bugsy61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: Replacing my case newer cam profile advice please Reply with quote

Not sure if your asking me or the OP, but I run 8.5 to 1 compression. Always on 93 octane. I used to run 12 psi when I had and air to air intercooler, but never liked the way it looked, so I took it off. Had to back the boost down after cracking a cylinder. More than enough power in a Manx car at 8 psi. I don't have the proper roll cage to use more power. These little cars can kill you if you don't respect them.
terryly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: Replacing my case newer cam profile advice please Reply with quote

Quote:

PostPosted: Today 7:51 am Post subject: Re: Replacing my case newer cam profile advice please
I use an Engle 100 in my 2332 with 8 pounds boost. I get 232 ft.lbs. of torque at 8 psi at 3200 RPM. That would make for a nice off road set-up with your tall tires. Honestly, I wish I had gone slightly bigger, like a Web 218, but mine is a street car, also with tall tires.

Cool I like to see you were running the w 100 in a bigger motor Are you running carbs ? The 110 works well for me I just wonder if I can refine it some. As far as the Turbo I honestly don't really need it A large part of me wanting to hang a turbo off the back is the "HOLY COW" factor Shocked Sure makes me smile and I noticed it also seems to amuse a large variety of people young and old. Still I use it in remote areas so need it dependable Trying to over build then use it with in its safety margins using the MS3PRO ecu for its programmable fail safe fetures. So will probably end up with lower boost pressures and sane rpms 6000 ??
Turbo Is a medium length project I wont have it all pieced together and start testing for this coming season. I will try to put the Aluminum case back together with most of the Internals From previous set up. Maybe a cam /rocker change While keeping the turbo in mind. The case has Porsche piston squirters installed And I will prep the case for the hoover mods
so whats the thoughts on cam rocker set up
Apologies for cluttering this thread up. Not the best communicator with my ramblings and lack of direction to to the point Embarassed
Thanks for your input
terryly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: Replacing my case newer cam profile advice please Reply with quote

[quote="rodeking"]At the present 9.2 static you'll be at like 10.5 effective CR at your elevation with 7 psi boost. The dynamic CR will be even less depending on the cam. Don't know enough about these engines to know what effective CR you can run with water/meth? Is that a 13T? Are you going to run the IC water thru the CHRA?[/quote
Sorry rodeking yes is 13t I think.... clonebug recommended it to me so it was a place to start Very Happy going to to try and get it running well N/A moderate compression then hook up turbo and air/water intercooler see how the intake air temprature is Low boost. Then hope fully tune a little more with the water/meth
will go with electronic boost control. Sorry I do not understand what CHRA is
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: