Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

12 volt starter and flywheel question
Forum Index -> Porsche - 356 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
MoPor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:32 pm    Post subject: 12 volt starter and flywheel question Reply with quote

I'm rebuilding a 912 engine and building a test stand. I have a 644 bellhousing and a 912 12 volt starter and no flywheel. So what do I need to mate this altogether? My understanding is that the 912 starter can't be used and a 912 flywheel won't fit. I have no idea where this engine will end up (in a 356 or 912?) and I'm just trying to get it test run for the least cost.

ps I can get a 901 from a 914. Perhaps this could used instead of th 644 case?

'58 356A coupe
'00 Boxster S
MoPor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 12 volt starter and flywheel question Reply with quote

It turns out the starter is a Bosch VW unit (SR15) so my best bet is to run a 356 flywheel

'58 356A coupe
'00 Boxster S
captcory
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 12 volt starter and flywheel question Reply with quote

356 flywheel is 6volts which is smaller in diameter than the 12volt flywheel. The 12v flywheel won't fit in the 644 without grinding. You need to find a 356 flywheel and a 6v starter to mate with it. The teeth count is different from 6v to 12v. If you get a 6v starter you can use a 12v battery on it no prob. AA sells 356 flywheels.
Jacks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 12 volt starter and flywheel question Reply with quote

you can use a VW 36hp flywheel after having it drilled for 8 dowel crank. Very Happy
MoPor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 12 volt starter and flywheel question Reply with quote

Its just for my test stand so a 356 flywheel with a 12 volt ring gear should work should it not? I bought one from Zims a few years ago. Maybe one of these will work too. It doesn't say what ring gear they have.

'58 356A coupe
'00 Boxster S
captcory
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 12 volt starter and flywheel question Reply with quote

Yes that should work as long as it has the 12v ring gear. count the teeth I think the 6v is 109teeth

best is to get a vw bus bellhousing...they unbolt from the transmission case. This is what I use. usually $20 at swaps.
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 12 volt starter and flywheel question Reply with quote

Just get any VW trans, even if dead, the 912 and a VW starter will bolt in, no problem, use your 912 flywheel. A VW auto trans is the same as the 912 only cheaper, LOL, but the regular 12Volt VW starter with the shaft will still work, just make sure the bushing is in the trans half.
MoPor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: 12 volt starter and flywheel question Reply with quote

Jacks wrote:
you can use a VW 36hp flywheel after having it drilled for 8 dowel crank. Very Happy

Thanks. I think I can buy one drilled like that.

'58 356A coupe
'00 Boxster S
badsix
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: 12 volt starter and flywheel question Reply with quote

I wonder how much grinding it takes to put a 12v flywheel into the 356 6v trans? I have done several vw conversions and it take only minimal grinding in a few areas.
Jay D.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MoPor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: 12 volt starter and flywheel question Reply with quote

badsix wrote:
I wonder how much grinding it takes to put a 12v flywheel into the 356 6v trans? I have done several vw conversions and it take only minimal grinding in a few areas.
Jay D.

Like a 912 flywheel? Good question. I couldn't find any info on the difference in diameters. Flywheel selection is much greater now but its all very confusing due to lack of detailed info. I may end up buying a used 912 flywheel and finding out although the starter might not work then. If worst comes to worst I could buy a 901 case or a 002 VW bus bellhousing although both are impossible to find around here.

'58 356A coupe
'00 Boxster S
badsix
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 12 volt starter and flywheel question Reply with quote

Yep I would surly check, as I said doing a VW 6v to 12 v is about a 10 minute or less job with a 4' grinder. you only need to remove about an 1/8 " from the tops of the bottom bolt holes for the engine then about a 1/16" from the left and right sides around 3" vertically not all are the same but real close. you will need a 12v starter with a 12v flywheel and 6v for 6v. I in the same spot you are I'm getting ready to build a test stand for my 356. only i'm just going to use a VW trans case ether 6v or 12v and I have both starters. only other thing needed will be the proper starter bushing, easily changed.
Jay D.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MoPor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 12 volt starter and flywheel question Reply with quote

I will try and get a VW 12 volt flywheel this week. I'm ordering all sorts of parts for the rebuild. I bought a cut down 644 case a few months ago. I have to bolt some plates on to it (basically a box) then weld it to an engine stand. A few guys have done it this way before.

'58 356A coupe
'00 Boxster S
Jacks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:48 am    Post subject: Re: 12 volt starter and flywheel question Reply with quote

Shocked
MoPor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 12 volt starter and flywheel question Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Here is one way

'58 356A coupe
'00 Boxster S
badsix
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: 12 volt starter and flywheel question Reply with quote

that's kinda what I have planed, maybe a dash with oil and temp gauges.
Jay D.
MoPor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 12 volt starter and flywheel question Reply with quote

I'm going to make an aluminum control panel plate and buy one of those cheap ignition + toggle switch panels and insert it. I'll add oil pressure and maybe tach and oil temp. I bought a generator harness so I will also mount my spare regulator. If I get carried away I might add an aux electric pump for priming depending on where the fuel tank gets mounted.

'58 356A coupe
'00 Boxster S
badsix
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: 12 volt starter and flywheel question Reply with quote

yep, that sounds like the plan. an electric fuel pump is good, i'm also going to electric in the car.
Jay D.
cornemuse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 12 volt starter and flywheel question Reply with quote

Like someone here already said, if its an easy starting (6v) motor, no issues with 12v batts. I picked up a 12v generator that fits the 6v saddles (for conversion from 6 to 12 v) (its a bosche gen) Never had problems, tho its been parked now for lo these many years, , ,

-c-
MoPor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 12 volt starter and flywheel question Reply with quote

Ok I got this thing built. Its really just a cheap and functional (I hope) test stand using what materials I had laying around if possible. If I had to buy everything the cost would have been surprisingly high. Fortunately I had the starter, battery, regulator, gauges, metal and muffler laying around as surplus. The engine stand is now dual purpose as I can remove everything if needed. I'm going to use a jerry can for fuel but a friend just told me he had an old lawnmower tank so I might add that. I'd also like to add some kind of throttle control. I saw a good idea on Darryl's Garage http://www.darrylsgarage.com/912/912mech.htm

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

'58 356A coupe
'00 Boxster S
arprea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:25 am    Post subject: Re: 12 volt starter and flywheel question Reply with quote

I do have one flywheel which has 356/912 mounting, 200mm clutch and it has VW 12V teething for starter. So such things float around. It's quality piece of vintage engineering and possibly out of Rimco as engine case did have Rimco stampings. It came from the 912 engine which was installed to beetle in some point of time. Porsche used same 6V teething in 6V and 12V 356s.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Porsche - 356 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: