Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Get Barb and Elwood back on the road!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: Get Barb and Elwood back on the road! Reply with quote

Xevin wrote:
Now what the hell am I going to do. What kind of broom do I use? Do I start at the bottom or top? Front or back? Should I do the 72 first or practice on the 76? I’m just so confused. Laughing

I'll make a blurry video on how to put it in gear, dump the clutch, and smack the brakes. Should clear off nicely; god help your spare tire mount.

Quote:
Nice to see people offering a hand to Barb and Elwood

Hell yeah! We should be good on funds unless something major comes up. Even then we'll be coming back from the swap meet so we can find some lovely OG parts to refresh and install if needed.

Thanks to everyone who donated, we'll make sure Barb knows how awesome the Samba community still is.

Gotta go find some snow pants…
Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: Get Barb and Elwood back on the road! Reply with quote

Quote:
Gotta go find some snow pants shants

FTFY
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: Get Barb and Elwood back on the road! Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Quote:
Gotta go find some snow pants shants

FTFY

Applause Applause Laughing

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
VWSunny72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Get Barb and Elwood back on the road! Reply with quote

Good on you Robbie...I bit.

Brandt, how is Anna doing these days?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
brandt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Get Barb and Elwood back on the road! Reply with quote

Quote:
Brandt, how is Anna doing these days?

I gave an update to that thread a while back. Thankfully I think most folks missed it. The bus is not doing well and I have no idea on how Anna is doing. Her bus is still sitting in her driveway not running after her "meat guy" gave it a "tune up". My marriage would not likely survive if I brought it home again. A total bummer as it was running flawlessly when Colin and I dropped it off.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8424215#8424215

Robbie, hope you know I'm just giving you a hard time. I think it's great what you are doing and not just for Barb but for all of us who seek advise in this forum or may someday need a video chat.
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: Get Barb and Elwood back on the road! Reply with quote

Hi folks,

I spoke to Barb this morning, and we're all good to go up the hill on Saturday morning. She says hello to the internet folks!

Barb mentioned that the six end caps to her roof rack have gone missing, and I want to know if anybody has a set hanging around their stash? I have the carriages bolts, nuts, and washers to outfit one, but the drip-rail caps are MIA.

Thanks dudes!
Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
70Crew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: Get Barb and Elwood back on the road! Reply with quote

Are you referring to the plastic caps that plug the ends of the tubing or the clamps that grip the bottom of the drip rails (or something else)? If the clamps, there are different styles, a photo might help.

OR... are you talking about the westy roof rack built into the front section of the pop-up roof?
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: Get Barb and Elwood back on the road! Reply with quote

drop any pic of elwood so we know what he is all about.
OB Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Get Barb and Elwood back on the road! Reply with quote

Yipes I originally did not connect this thread with Anna in Utah.

Yes I donated to the original saga.

Brandt - thank you for your efforts.

Best to you all....really. But maybe, just maybe, someone is trying to send a message in this case.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: Get Barb and Elwood back on the road! Reply with quote

We’re on our way! We’ll start in the sunny beach zone, drive through the pouring rain, and hit snow somewhere along the 5,600’ climb.

Kombi,
Robbie

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Get Barb and Elwood back on the road! Reply with quote

Awesome buddy. Safe travels Applause

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Get Barb and Elwood back on the road! Reply with quote

Update: on the road in Escondido after smashing the roof top tent into my apartment garage overhang.

Robbie

KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Get Barb and Elwood back on the road! Reply with quote

At least it wasn't your ankle again... Dancing

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
TomWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Get Barb and Elwood back on the road! Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
Update: on the road in Escondido after smashing the roof top tent into my apartment garage overhang.

Robbie

Took the fin off my sailboard going in to a parking garage once.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Get Barb and Elwood back on the road! Reply with quote

A trip was made.

We left san diego in t-shirts and sandals. The drive up was beautiful, and warm with the cabin heat on half stick.

Elwood was looking mighty proud, in a recently cleaned out front yard where all kinds of VW parts were waiting under tarps and blankets.

Before the work started, we helped Barb clean out her stash of VW parts and sort them into piles of "keep" or "donate." Elwood has spare bumpers, a roof rack, and a few other rare parts to keep him going, but Barb's common spares were all piled up into an organized heap next to Buddy.

First up on the dock was the clutch… Back in July, Colin and I freed the cable from the bowden tube. It was rusted together and unusable. Well, when I got under the bus I found the cable rusted into the bowden tube again. The tube was just along for the ride, and slid back and forth as the clutch pedal was pushed down. My plans at a King Arthur "Clutch Cable In The Stone" attempt was met with silence and stillness from Elwood. Out came the angle grinder, and the clutch cable in half a minute flat. Twisted Evil

We noticed the clouds growing more ominous by the minute, so we paused the clutch work and got started on the leaky rear hatch and rust eradication.

Brian cut the old cracked seal out, and began to shave the glass for perfect sealing as I went to town with scrapers getting the crusty mud and dirt off the window frame. I was optimistic that a wire brush would help. I clogged two of them and gave up; out came the chemicals and half a roll of paper towels. Then came back with the wire brush. I've never seen that much mud under a window seal without serious rust before.

After a few dozen passes of various sand papers, we brushed on some RCP and let that dry for a bit. Back to the clutch cable.

"Damn Brian, these clutch cable grommets are rock sold."
"That's because it's literally freezing outside, duh."
[discreetly puts new grommets down pants to warm them up]
"Let me remove the belly pan while I think about them."
Five minutes later "OK I got one on."

New clutch cable half installed, it was back to the primed rear hatch for the first coat of paint.
"Sorry Barb, I don't have the correct VW white. I have Buddy White and you won't see it anyway."
"Elwood is a real VW who appreciates intent more than aesthetics anyway."

Back to the clutch cable; buttoned up the rear end. That grommet slid on even nicer. Razz

"Uh oh, here comes the rain. Barb, get back there and pull that rope down!"

New seal looks good, and kept the rains out all night.

"Barb, can you go stand by the driver door and feel the clutch pedal?"
"I like about an inch of free play and you better do it quick before I get too wet standing here."
Laughing

While I threaded the clutch wing nut on in the freezing downpour, Brian managed to unpack my bus and repack it with twice as much stuff. Surprised

Since we wrapped up most of the work around dinner time, we took Barb to her favorite pizza spot and had a mini car show. Of course we had to take two cars; neither one of us had room for three bodies!

It was a treat to work with Barb and Elwood who both have more stories to share than I'll ever find time to pry out of them. Smile Last time I saw Barb, she was a little slow to get around, but you could tell that getting Elwood dialed in really brought a revival of energy to her life. Thank you to all of you that pitched in. After a few parts orders and topping off her gas tank, we have about $35 left in the pool, so I am still looking for the clamps that will fit their roof rack. I admittedly don't know much about it, or how the clamp system works. I'll be back around April 14th to get the roof rack in and take care of a sticky slider door mechanism.

The road out FINALLY saw the snow that I was promised.

And with that, it was on to the Pomona Swap Meet!
Robbie

Last edited by airschooled on Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Get Barb and Elwood back on the road! Reply with quote

Thanks again to everyone who sent thoughts and prayers. We definitely needed the prayers ascending the mountain with that massive haul of parts.

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Get Barb and Elwood back on the road! Reply with quote

What mountain? Where does she live?
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Get Barb and Elwood back on the road! Reply with quote

Brian wrote:
Thanks again to everyone who sent thoughts and prayers. We definitely needed the prayers ascending the mountain with that massive haul of parts.

My wallet needs thoughts and prayers after that record-breaking 15.1 mpg fill-up in Pomona on Sunday……… Laughing
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Get Barb and Elwood back on the road! Reply with quote

do you mean 15.1 gallon fill up?
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Get Barb and Elwood back on the road! Reply with quote

aeromech wrote:
do you mean 15.1 gallon fill up?

No, my bus spent the better part of five hours floored due to all the stuff we had in the back. 208 miles on 13.8 gallons…

Previous record was 16.2 mpg, held by Ellensburg, Washington last year after trying to keep up with Stu for an entire tank of gas…

aeromech wrote:
What mountain? Where does she live?

Idyllwild, CA. The town is around 5,300 feet, and the pass to get out is around 6,200 feet. Not crazy elevations by any means, but Brian and I suspect the bus was loaded at or near its one ton cargo capacity.

Robbie
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: