Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

aussie project 4x4 bay
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ernie norley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 3:02 am    Post subject: Re: aussie project 4x4 bay Reply with quote

Good day all. been doing a little bit today started to build the extra arm for the rear suspension drop plate. I'm using a 2nd inner arm to be bolted to the plate under the original unit. I have to drill 4 new holes in the plate & countersink 2 of the original ones in the plate so I can use countersunk cuphead bolts to fit under the 2nd arm I have to cut shorten & rotate the curved end of the arm & remove the bush tube to let it fit up under the arm. the rough drawn picture shows what it should be like when finished

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ernie norley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 4:29 am    Post subject: Re: aussie project 4x4 bay Reply with quote

Good evening all. This is the finished Right hand side unit. the process to achieve this is.
cut the tube off at the flange
then cut 2 slots either side of single spot weld
then place a socket or similar into the back to press the tube out.
once this is done I cut 7cm's off the tube linished it to clean up where it presses back into the housing at 90degs to line up with the bottom of the top tube
placed the tube in a vice & hammered the end back on weld around the housing & tube. Simple as that.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ernie norley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 12:03 am    Post subject: Re: aussie project 4x4 bay Reply with quote

G'day all. A few more pics of progress. After a lot of research on google for CV shaft spline sizes I found a suitable standard factory 1/2 shafts to suit lengthwise. They are out of Aussie magna. This has saved me getting them made or cut & welded I will be making 2 full sets up so I have 2 spares.

this is partial lift so far with the lift plates fitted. I can still get some more if needed by indexing the spring plates. I plan on fitting the new arches by shaping them to sit out from the body to clear the tyres similar to look at as a stepside guard

the smaller tyre is the original Kombi part. It give an idea of lift so far. it almost fits under the sill standing up

the start of the dash still chasing a speedo to suit.

ernie norley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 2:46 am    Post subject: Re: aussie project 4x4 bay Reply with quote

I have decided to change the roof on ECLECTIC to a Toyota town ace moon roof. it will involve a bit of trimming on the Toyota & cutting out the bus roof like a camper but bigger.

https://scontent-syd2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t31.0-8/182...e=598C03E4
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 5:59 am    Post subject: Re: aussie project 4x4 bay Reply with quote

Laughing E-- haven't heard from you in ages- How's the project going- Take it your out driving round now if your talking bout sun roofs-- good going.

opinion untempered by fact is ignorance.

Don't step in any!
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 6:03 am    Post subject: Re: aussie project 4x4 bay Reply with quote

Sounds like an awesome project! Too bad none of the pics show up in the thread any longer.
Sad

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 7:01 am    Post subject: Re: aussie project 4x4 bay Reply with quote

Ditto on the photos. Please post them to The Samba so we can watch!
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ernie norley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 1:48 am    Post subject: Re: aussie project 4x4 bay Reply with quote

G'day all. sorry about the pics this is the only forum they have disappeared from any ideas from moderators please on how to get them back
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 5:43 am    Post subject: Re: aussie project 4x4 bay Reply with quote

The best way would be to host them all in the Samba gallery, and then edit the posts (may need a mod to do this now, or maybe they can "unlock" the older posts for you) so that the pics are all shown from the gallery.

1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
ernie norley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: aussie project 4x4 bay Reply with quote

Last edited by ernie norley on Sun Jun 11, 2017 1:27 am; edited 2 times in total
timvw7476
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: aussie project 4x4 bay Reply with quote

go to Gallery, Add Photo, Baywindow, '68-'79. then add your caption/descrip
that way they'll be samba accessible for almost ever.
-you will post images, top/bottom/inside when this beastie is rolling, right?
ernie norley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 1:42 am    Post subject: Re: aussie project 4x4 bay Reply with quote

this is the start of the 2nd attempt to fit a rear tailshaft between the transfercase & diff 2 Holden commodore axle CV's & the out put shafts out of diff bolted together. the outer shafts will be machined to accept custom flanges made to fit.

ernie norley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:26 am    Post subject: Re: aussie project 4x4 bay Reply with quote

Ok so now all the pics have gone. Anyone wanting to follow may like to go to my facebook page modified KOMBI & VW projects to see where I'm up to with the build
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:17 am    Post subject: Re: aussie project 4x4 bay Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6

Please please!

1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:54 am    Post subject: Re: aussie project 4x4 bay Reply with quote

ernie norley wrote:
Ok so now all the pics have gone. Anyone wanting to follow may like to go to my facebook page modified KOMBI & VW projects to see where I'm up to with the build

So, that's a problem, see? Many of us want to follow your build, but maybe we don't participate in Facebook, or Photobucket, or other particular sites that require logins, etc. That's why we come here.

The only permanent way to share photos on The Samba is to load them onto The Samba. We would all love to see them.
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ernie norley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:30 pm    Post subject: Re: aussie project 4x4 bay Reply with quote

Sorry but the pics have gone for some strange reason & there Are far to many going back 3years plus to start to replace them. This is the only forum I have lost them on.
ernie norley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:45 pm    Post subject: Re: aussie project 4x4 bay Reply with quote

G'day all. DUE TO THE SCAMMING OF PHOTOBUCKET I WON'T BE POSTING ANYMORE BUILD PICS ON HERE. THE OTHER FORUMS I'm ON CAN COPY & PASTE TO FROM FACEBOOK. IF YOU WANT TO KEEP FOLLOWING MY BUILD CHECKOUT modified KOMBI & VW projects page on Facebook. thanks to all who have been following & supportive of my build.
ernie norley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: aussie project 4x4 bay Reply with quote

G'day all. Its been a while since the last post. I have been making progress. the machine shop side of the build is almost finished.

This is start of the conversion to clap hand wipers. I have new posts spiral cable new Triumph Stag LHD & RHD wiper assemblies. I have modified the Lucas wiper motor to bolt on to a peugeot 307 wiper motor.

ernie norley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 3:15 am    Post subject: Re: aussie project 4x4 bay Reply with quote

time for an update.
ernie norley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:10 am    Post subject: Re: aussie project 4x4 bay Reply with quote

https://www.facebook.com/ernie.norley/videos/10221632842479060/

Last edited by ernie norley on Thu Apr 16, 2020 6:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9

Jump to: