Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Manual Transmission Drain Plug - metal on plug
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:09 am    Post subject: Re: Manual Transmission Drain Plug - metal Reply with quote

Indeed.

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Manual Transmission Drain Plug - metal Reply with quote

How's my plug?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Manual Transmission Drain Plug - metal Reply with quote

Cute! Wink

How many miles since last drain...???

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Manual Transmission Drain Plug - metal Reply with quote

dhaavers wrote:
Cute! Wink

- Dave

Unknown! But the drain plug and the fill plug came out pretty easily. I'm going to put in some cheap 75w-90 weight oil and run it for like 500 miles. Then drain it then put in my RedLine 75w-90
Syncro Jael
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:18 am    Post subject: Re: Manual Transmission Drain Plug - metal Reply with quote

shagginwagon83 wrote:
dhaavers wrote:
Cute! Wink

- Dave

Unknown! But the drain plug and the fill plug came out pretty easily. I'm going to put in some cheap 75w-90 weight oil and run it for like 500 miles. Then drain it then put in my RedLine 75w-90

That looks pretty good if it has thousands of miles of use.

You are sure about putting in Redline as your gear oil of choice?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: Manual Transmission Drain Plug - metal Reply with quote

Syncro Jael wrote:
shagginwagon83 wrote:
dhaavers wrote:
Cute! Wink

- Dave

It has at least 7k miles on this manual transmission. No I'm not sure if you're questioning my choice! I will explain myself. I didn't go with Swepco because I heard that it takes a while for oil to warm up. I went with Redline 75W-90 because GoWesty recommends them. I already bought the Redline too Sad. I have a hard time finding 2nd gear when cold. Double clutching helps. Once warmed up it works great.

Dammit. I'm just going to use the Redline for my 'flush' oil. I'll switch it out in 5k miles I guess
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: Manual Transmission Drain Plug - metal Reply with quote

Merian wrote:

It's got my vote for "Best Tranny Plug of the Year" !

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Manual Transmission Drain Plug - metal Reply with quote

Syncro Jael wrote:

The only thing good about that hairdo is the particles are all really small. Which suggests that theres could be some life remaining. But make no mistake, you waited far too long, and suffered losses in running your trans with that much metal in your lubricant. From what I read, you don’t know the miles but it’s more than 7,000? However If thats “7,000 miles since last change” that trans is going out SOON.

WRT Redline.... any clean oil you can find anywhere is hundreds of times better than that oil. I think you should flush soon (with any two clean oils) & get ‘clean’ to allow a valid assessment after a few thousand.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Manual Transmission Drain Plug - metal Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:

The only thing good about that hairdo is the particles are all really small. Which suggests that theres could be some life remaining. But make no mistake, you waited far too long, and suffered losses in running your trans with that much metal in your lubricant. From what I read, you don’t know the miles but it’s more than 7,000? However If thats “7,000 miles since last change” that trans is going out SOON.

WRT Redline.... any clean oil you can find anywhere is hundreds of times better than that oil. I think you should flush soon (with any two clean oils) & get ‘clean’ to allow a valid assessment after a few thousand.

I put 7K miles on the van since I have owned it. I'm not sure before when it was changed. Yeah I'll run the Redline oil for 5k miles then post back? I know Redline is overkill for 5k miles, but I already bought it. Is that too short/too long? I plan to swap to Swepco.
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Manual Transmission Drain Plug - metal Reply with quote

I’d do the quick flush (200, 500 mi?). If it comes out clean after the flush then go 5000 and look again. Ya gotta get to a clean baseline condition or the magnet can’t tell you anything. Of course it can tell you if yer fooked but what you want is to know is.... if you’re GOOD.

I think you need Swepco for big engines. What yours?

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Manual Transmission Drain Plug - metal Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:
I’d do the quick flush (200, 500 mi?). If it comes out clean after the flush then go 5000 and look again. Ya gotta get to a clean baseline condition or the magnet can’t tell you anything. Of course it can tell you if yer fooked but what you want is to know is.... if you’re GOOD.

I think you need Swepco for big engines. What yours?

I have stock 1.9 engine with stock transmission. I'll buy some 80w-90 cheap stuff and do a quick flush - 500 miles.

Should I just stick with the RedLine after? I mean if I recall, in the winter I bought the redline because Swepco 'warms up' after 10 miles.
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Manual Transmission Drain Plug - metal Reply with quote

shagginwagon83 wrote:
I have a hard time finding 2nd gear when cold. Double clutching helps. Once warmed up it works great.

How's your linkage? Wouldn't all the gears be hard to find in the cold, not just one? Cold here too (been at or below freezing all week) and I don't find Swepco to be very different to what was in there, whatever vintage it was.

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Manual Transmission Drain Plug - metal Reply with quote

Paulbeard wrote:
shagginwagon83 wrote:
I have a hard time finding 2nd gear when cold. Double clutching helps. Once warmed up it works great.

How's your linkage? Wouldn't all the gears be hard to find in the cold, not just one? Cold here too (been at or below freezing all week) and I don't find Swepco to be very different to what was in there, whatever vintage it was.

Yeah it's bad. I have a cracked boot. I'll go ahead and buy the shift linkage kit from Van Cafe. I changed the oil. I put the fill plug back in once it started oozing out. Should I have waited till it stopped oozing ?
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Manual Transmission Drain Plug - metal Reply with quote

shagginwagon83 wrote:

Yeah it's bad. I have a cracked boot. I'll go ahead and buy the shift linkage kit from Van Cafe. I changed the oil. I put the fill plug back in once it started oozing out. Should I have waited till it stopped oozing ?

As for filling? I went with this

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
metropoj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:05 am    Post subject: Re: Manual Transmission Drain Plug - metal Reply with quote

I figure this is probably the best place for posting some pics of my drain plug ...

Any thoughts on this ? I think it looks OK, not like some of the xmas trees I've seen in the pics !

Unknown condition and mileage used late model tranny installed 28,000 kms ago, filled with Mobil 1 75W90 synthetic. This is about 3-4 years of driving

The plug when I pulled it 'cold' was very 'goopy' at the tip.

I ended up taking the magnet and dipping it into varsol to try and clean off the goop but keep the metal particles in tact .... didn't work that great. I then used my finger to smush away the goopy oil and then let the magnet pkc up all of the metal bits from my finger, as shown in the last pic ...

I am wondering to fill it again with this same oil, or something similar in Synthetics (or dino) I haven't decided ..

I'm thinking it's got some life left, it likes a little grind into 2nd when cold.

I want to check out my hyd clutch system next, everything else in the clutch system was brand new 28,000 kms ago ...
mellowslow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 6:39 am    Post subject: Re: Manual Transmission Drain Plug - metal Reply with quote

Approx 20K with Swepco 201 in the box

Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: Manual Transmission Drain Plug - metal Reply with quote

You have “some” clean space on your magnet. Thats a really good sign. And no big parts.

Id fill it with FLAPS gear oil ($16) and drive it a few hundred miles, then drain it hot & fast, with the front wheels about 10-12” higher than the rear. Then put in your next batch of Swepco. Then NEXT time you’ll know your magnet is showing “new” trash only. Ir gives you a better idea what’s currently happening in the trans. And you’re not pre-polluting your new specialty oil at mile-one with old metal trash.

Old transmissions (and rebuilts, which include many hi-miles used parts) require more frequent maintenance than the original trans, which was 100% new and built in a clean-room of super-clean parts. An OEM built trans is a different unit than a rebuilt, it can go 90,000 miles on its oil cuz there is no pre-trash, no “older parts” are putting metal trash into your lubricant. You are wise to check at 20,000 miles.

Think if some fellow defied the mfrs recommendations that the oil doesn’t need changing. And replaced the lubricant every 30k miles. That would be a nicely preserved trans, with gears in perfect condition. But its too late now, the trannies all gave their 90k miles of “trouble-free lifetime” and owners were satisfied. Perhaps not with their head gaskets though.

Seeing how much metal is circulating in your lubricant at 20k, don’t you kinda wish you checked 5,000 miles ago? Luckily you can do this maintenance yourself -lots of Van Owners can’t.

What engine do you have?

Last edited by Sodo on Sun Jul 14, 2019 11:56 am; edited 1 time in total
mellowslow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: Manual Transmission Drain Plug - metal Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:
You have “some” clean space on your magnet. Thats a really good sign. And no big parts.

Id fill it with FLAPS gear oil ($16) and drive it a few hundred miles, then drain it hot & fast, with the front wheels about 10-12” higher than the rear. Then put in your next batch of Swepco. Then NEXT time you’ll know you’re magnets showing “new” trash only. And you’re not pre-polluting your new specialty oil with old metal.

Old transmissions (and rebuilts, which include many hi-miles used parts) require more frequent maintenance than the original trans, which was 100% new and built in a clean-room of super-clean parts. An OEM built trans is a different unit than a rebuilt, it can go 90,000 miles on its oil cuz there is no pre-trash, no “older parts” are putting metal trash into your lubricant. You are wise to check at 20,000 miles.

Seeing how much metal is circulating in your lubricant at 20k, don’t you kinda wish you checked 5,000 miles ago? Luckily you can do this maintenance yourself -lots of Van Owners can’t.

What engine do you have?

Volkswagen of Mexico built AEG code 2.0l with a tuned ECU. Installed with zero mileage out of the crate.

Wow post up data to benefit the list and get a complimentary visual analysis! Many thanks.

Yes, a longer stretch for the change interval. The 201 showed close to original blue color and really didn't seem broken down or contaminated. Guess I could have done worse.
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Manual Transmission Drain Plug - metal on plug Reply with quote

So you’re running about 135HP?
And drive “mellowslow”?
Sounds like a good plan.

You could probably “settle” that nice clear Swepco for a few months then decant the purified oil off the top & run it again.

My oil was perfect green & clear until I did a 3,000 mile trip at 80mph then it turned dark (15,000mi). I have a 173 HP Subaru. I have an elaborate trans cooling system and my trans never gets hotter than 143*F. I suppose the cooling raises the HP capacity of the trans some, but not enough to stand 80mph continuous.

I won’t be doing that again. My new speed is 70.

Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Manual Transmission Drain Plug - metal on plug Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:
So you’re running about 135HP?

Is an AEG that much more grunty than an ABA? Maybe the tuned ECU has a role but out of the crate they are both 115 hp.

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: