Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Windshield Install Advice
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sethpat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: Windshield Install Advice Reply with quote

I've installed my windshield three times so far throughout my mad science experiment that I call, "Frankenbus".

It's gotten easier each time and I haven't had any fitment issues. I fit some parachute brake line into the seal and make sure ton overlap it at the bottom by a few feet and then coat the outside of the seal with tire shine. Once it's lined up I stand on the front bumper applying an even, sturdy amount of force while the helper in the inside pulls the line. Start from the bottom middle just past the first lower corner then do the other side to the same point. Then I'll go back and go just beyond the upper corner, switching sides again. From there it's smooth sailing.

You could also use some 550 cord with the innards pulled out. Just want something small and strong that won't break. This method worked great for me.

Frankenbus (sold)

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=674133&highlight=

1975 Westfalia
914 IV 1.7
93mm pistons
Weber 34 ICT's
Cam 264* .402 lift
dasdachshund
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Windshield Install Advice Reply with quote

I'm with SGKent and OB Bus.
Have a friend who has a auto glass shop and he had no problem getting the PPG/PGW glass. I believe, like, $198 installed. Took him less than 5 minutes. Botta bing, botta boom.

-dasdachshund
OB Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Windshield Install Advice Reply with quote

dasdachshund wrote:
I'm with SGKent and OB Bus.
Have a friend who has a auto glass shop and he had no problem getting the PPG/PGW glass. I believe, like, $198 installed. Took him less than 5 minutes. Botta bing, botta boom.
-dasdachshund

Although you already agreed with me I can't repeat your line over and over enough to people. Why fight with it when they do this every day? And if they break it they replace it!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Windshield Install Advice Reply with quote

When the local glass guys say "No way Jose" what choice do you have. All 3 of my locals won't do it.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Windshield Install Advice Reply with quote

When I painted my 77 I broke the window going back in as the one corner was extremely tight. Paid a guy to install a new windshield it took him a good two hours to get his in, but unfortunately it had the tint strip across the top which gave me headaches, so I had another guy put in a clear windshield and it took him a full four hours to get it in, so I can see why a lot of shops might not want to deal with these rigs any more.

I have toyed with the idea of welding in a ~ 1/2" filler piece in the opening so I could just glue the windshield in as per is typical for newer cars.
alaskadan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Windshield Install Advice Reply with quote

Sethpats use of tire shine is worth noting here. Lube makes a big difference , ha ha. Sorry. Anyhow soapy water , dish soap are ok but not great. I learned of the use of boiled linseed oil from an old timer long ago. It works better than soaps and eventually dries into a mild sealant that is easily removed later. If using soaps at least use a permeable type of cord that will soak up some soap and not just swipe clean when pulled out from the window gasket.
Carver Dude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Windshield Install Advice Reply with quote

So after the first crew failed at the first attempt they sent out a new crew for the second try and it was in in under 15 minutes.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

71 Westy
76 Tin Top Westy
70 Camper
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: Windshield Install Advice Reply with quote

Who did it? I'm just down the road from you...
Carver Dude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: Windshield Install Advice Reply with quote

Clear advantage out of Salida. They did a great job. It cost me a bit but was worth it.
71 Westy
76 Tin Top Westy
70 Camper
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: Windshield Install Advice Reply with quote

…Tried my first windshield install. Cracked it… Found a local small operation who promised they could get the new FYG glass in, on a deadline, with no shade stripe and no protruding corners.

Upon arriving, Robert at Empire Auto Glass pointed at my old FYG glass and the new FYG glass at the DOT-XXX number. They were different, which he said means they came off different molds, machines, or lines.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

With a bit more hope in my eyes, we dry fit the glass and it looked just like Colin's picture from the ground up. After we got the glass installed for the first time, we both agreed the fit wasn't acceptable. Back out it came, and he showed me a trick

Robert told me that a lot of Chevy glass in the '80s and '90s didn't fit, so he had a looped rope trick he wanted to try. In involved leaving slack in the pulling ropes on both sides and starting with the TOP lip, finishing in the bottom center. We started by pushing the glass IN from the bottom. The upwards pressure the whole time vs. downwards pressure I always used before seemed to really help the FYG glass, and it was much easier to push up (having a floor) instead of pushing down (only able to use body weight.)

There was only a mild bumping with an open palm on the outside, and the gasket seats fully around the inside of the car- something I haven't had in my ownership.

I hope that helps someone out there!
Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Windshield Install Advice Reply with quote

I was told by my local PPG installer start with two ropes both crossed at the center and pull in the center in first top and bottom (just until the bead is over the lip), and slowly work outwards using windex as the lubricant when setting it up. We broke the first FYG one. It was totally in then when I touched it, and it suddenly broke. The PPG fit so much better. It went right in with just light tapping.

Last edited by SGKent on Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jack_O_Trades
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Windshield Install Advice Reply with quote

Is anyone using sealant on the seals? If so what and where (glass to seal or seal to frame or both).

I haven’t in the past from my searches people go either way. Just trying to prevent leaking issues.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: