Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

2 fold clip
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:14 pm    Post subject: 2 fold clip Reply with quote

Trying to get a grasp on what to expect one would pay for a 2 fold Beetle roof clip.

Have you purchased one?

What did you pay?

I found a thread from 2012 with prices berween $500-$600.......

I see there is a two fold after market roof available for just shy of $600 but I really don't like the look of them when open.

https://www.sunroofsource.com/vw-beetle-1953-1976-type-1-2-fold-sliding-ragtop/

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 2 fold clip Reply with quote

It's odd, but they have crept up quite a bit in the past couple years- $800-$1000 lately is not unheard of.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: 2 fold clip Reply with quote

In the Northeast, $1000-$1500. A friend had a complete 62 one in 08 he wanted $350 for, shoulda, woulda, coulda. Prices are only going up for another 10 years, or so.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Keith
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 2 fold clip Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
In the Northeast, $1000-$1500. A friend had a complete 62 one in 08 he wanted $350 for, shoulda, woulda, coulda. Prices are only going up for another 10 years, or so.

That ‘62 wasn’t Black was it and was your friend in NJ? Curious.

"I firmly believe that some villagers from Botswana could probably build a better road than PennDot."- Splitty

"If you do anything to your car someone will hate on you for it. People absolutely love to complain and find fault with others. Don't let it bother you. Just live and have fun."- Lind
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:47 am    Post subject: Re: 2 fold clip Reply with quote

Keith wrote:
[email protected] wrote:

That ‘62 wasn’t Black was it and was your friend in NJ? Curious.

No, it was off a White car. Not sure where it came from since it was passed around a bunch in trades/barters/sales. It hung from the ceiling in the shop I worked at in Columbiana Ohio for about a year at $350, then was used in another car/parts trade.
fl59bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:08 am    Post subject: Re: 2 fold clip Reply with quote

I purchased a complete roof section out of a '63, with the opening, all rails and hardware for $400.00 at the Florida Bug Jam but way back in like, 2007.

They seem be going these days for 1.5+ times that amount, anywhere from 600 - 800 and even more. Were I in need of one these days I would try to find one in a rusted out car and remove it rather than as an already cut out piece. Seems like the already cut ones are for some reason way more expensive.
Canadian VW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:25 am    Post subject: Re: 2 fold clip Reply with quote

A month ago I paid $250 for the roof section only. I am setting aside another $500 to $750 for a nice/complete mechanical assembly set.

Samba 67 Beetle build thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=607949&highlight=
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: 2 fold clip Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback!!
You guys are the best!

I was thinking along those lines.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 2 fold clip Reply with quote

Here are a couple listed in NJ. The first one was put up late Dec. while the second one just today. Both deals, but both needing serious work to make into useable show worthy pieces. Finding something cheap out West may get you a cleaner piece, but you would have to freight ship it on a pallet.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1239574

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2149438
EMPIImp69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 2 fold clip Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
Here are a couple listed in NJ. The first one was put up late Dec. while the second one just today. Both deals, but both needing serious work to make into useable show worthy pieces. Finding something cheap out West may get you a cleaner piece, but you would have to freight ship it on a pallet.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1239574

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2149438

Some of these ads for clips that are pretty rusted, rotted and holier than God make me appreciate the solid clean roof my rag has Shocked I passed on a really clean clip from a '62 a couple years ago that I could have had real cheap, just didn't have the room for it. Wish I'd bought it knowing what they are going for lately.
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: 2 fold clip Reply with quote

Man, those examples are rather terrible.

All the ragtops I've ever dealt with never had that kind of rot going on. Hell even my first Beetle, a very rusted 61, while rusted out down low, the roof section was fine and after I sold it to a VW salvage shop, was cut off and later sold.

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 2 fold clip Reply with quote

glutamodo wrote:
Man, those examples are rather terrible.

All the ragtops I've ever dealt with never had that kind of rot going on. Hell even my first Beetle, a very rusted 61, while rusted out down low, the roof section was fine and after I sold it to a VW salvage shop, was cut off and later sold.

Sign of the times. As of right now, they are two of the maybe four ragtops for sale on the entire sight. Your very rusted 61 in 2018 would most likely be restored, even if the bottom 4 inches were missing. Fewer cars/parts are available with each passing year. Just like with everything else, stuff that was once scrapped is now being sold to be used/repaired for $100's, or even $1000's of dollars.
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 2 fold clip Reply with quote

LOL, well once the rust was examined, I thought it was a lost cause.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

And so it became thus:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
OvalinAz
Samba Mini Tech

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: 2 fold clip Reply with quote

$1000+ now, thats for a complete clip+mech. I found just the clip for $300 and had to piece a mechanism together, that sucked ass!
12/62 French 11 Window Bus
Wedge VW
Pandraggers C.C.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: