Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Best Engine Compartment Seal?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Best Engine Compartment Seal? Reply with quote

Bala wrote:
vwwestyman wrote:
Hmm...

How about smearing a thin layer of silicone on the seal? Maybe then you'd get the flexibility of the foam with a little more protection which would make it last longer.

Or even a rubberized spray coating maybe? Undercoating spray?
I wouldn't want to mess with trying to smear silicone out of a tube all over the seal. That would get pretty messy.

Ray Greenwood has said that he smears silicon on his.

Just squeeze out a long bead and then with you hand protected by a bread bag give it a good smear.
rcerick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: Best Engine Compartment Seal? Reply with quote

I just replaced the engine seal on my '78 Westy camper. Bought it from these guys and it was the original rounded bottom version:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/271883878357

It went in very smoothly (round / shiny side out / down). After removing the old one, I started at the top center of the fire wall with the center of the seal, going left first and then right. Left side (looking at engine bay), around cylinders 3 and 4, was a breeze. The trick that made installing it next to cylinders 1 and 2 easy was threading the entire right half of the seal through the gap it fills from above the cylinders so that it was outside / underneath the engine bay and then working it into the gap from underneath the van. There was plenty of clearance / access that way, and it avoided trashing the seal by jamming it through the extremely tight spaces adjacent to cylinders 1 and 2 from inside the engine bay. Entire job took 45 minutes, taking my time, and the two ends met perfectly at the front of the engine bay after installing them.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Best Engine Compartment Seal? Reply with quote

updating this thread. The unused Vewib seal 411-813-225 I bought in 2016 went on Ok today but just sitting in the package sealed up tight, it has started deteriorating. I give it a 5 on a scale of 10. Flimsy compared to the H style which I have been unable to find. The inside end was so bad it is about 1/8th inch thick and stuck to itself at the slits.
blatzer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 7:25 am    Post subject: Re: Best Engine Compartment Seal? Reply with quote

coat if with latex paint on the under side- that should be good for a few extra miles
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: