Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Interior Panel Behind Kitchen
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ZackSTL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:45 am    Post subject: Interior Panel Behind Kitchen Reply with quote

After searching the forums for a while, I've found plenty of solutions for the seam rust issues behind the kitchen, but was wondering if anyone has cut a new panel that runs behind the kitchen? Mine was busted from the PO and the only piece I've found from BusDepot (below) looks like it's for the Weekedner and doesn't have the necessary holes cut out.

If there is a retailer that sells one, I'd be happy to buy one as well.

http://www.busdepot.com/p009
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: Interior Panel Behind Kitchen Reply with quote

Just run to your local hardware store and get a 4'x8' sheet of MDF, and then use your panel as a template. Spray some sealant on the backside to prevent moisture from swelling the material.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
Microbusdeluxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Interior Panel Behind Kitchen Reply with quote

My experience as a cabinet maker would keep me far away from using MDF for this project. MDF's tendency to swell when wet leads me to recommend a 1/4" plywood, probably birch, as a better choice. Of course if the Bus Depot piece is just missing cut-outs, it would be real easy to use your old piece as a template and cut away. Most of this is hidden so any minor differences won't matter.
'81 Westy sold
'89 hightop Westy Joker syncro 16" now with Bostig!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Interior Panel Behind Kitchen Reply with quote

I use 1/8" plywood and have not had any problems. Home Depot or Lowes carries it.

Cut holes as you need to make it work.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
B.O.B.Wanders
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Interior Panel Behind Kitchen Reply with quote

I used a sheet of "Polywall" from HD ($20 or so for a 4x8 sheet). Still looking for pics showing the wall. I used the old panel as a template and it worked out OK but not ideal. It looks pretty good, but the poly sheet is really too thin to hold shape well without support and it likes to bow out of the upper lip in places. A double thick sheet would have worked better, but then the cost would be closer to the ABS ones from the regular vendors. I'm not going to rip it out any time soon, but I can't really recommend it either. On the plus side, it was easy to cut using heavy scissors and snips and it should last forever.

If you have the tan cabinets, both Krylon and Rustoleum "Satin Almond" are a close match. Seems like the Krylon worked a little better for the plastic. I used primer and 5 or 6 coats and have had no chipping or flaking issues after a year.

"It feels good to be lost in the right direction” - unknown
ZackSTL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Interior Panel Behind Kitchen Reply with quote

I’ll take the plywood route here and post some pictures of the cuts with measurements. I noticed Steve’s use of one full piece going behind the closet cabinet in addition to the kitchen. Might go ahead and take a peek behind there to replace that one as well while I’m at it.
climberjohn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Interior Panel Behind Kitchen Reply with quote

One other option is a sheet of 1/4" ABS plastic.
Call plastic dealers in your area to see if they carry a big enough piece. That stuff is plenty thick, impervious to moisture, easily cut with a jigsaw, and bomber strong. I just used it to put a new facing underneath my bench seat, and it's good stuff.
I agree, do not use MDF anywhere you might experience moisture.

-CJ
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Interior Panel Behind Kitchen Reply with quote

I've used MDF on several door panel projects. Like I stated before, just remember to seal the back side and it should be just fine. I use the stuff sometimes referred to as "bathboard". It's used for shower stalls and urinals which get pretty wet.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Interior Panel Behind Kitchen Reply with quote

Another option (depending where you live) is to use "marine grade" plywood.
It's only available from well stocked wood panel suppliers. It comes in a variety of thicknesses.

The wood veneers are glued together with water proof adhesive and the panels tend to be of higher quality veneers than the stuff stocked at the big box stores.
MDF is basically just pressed sawdust, not very durable.

(edit: Just to be clear, marine grade plywood is not waterproof you still need to paint or seal.)
(edit 2: The original Westy panels are made of this type of veneer)

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.

Last edited by MsTaboo on Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:28 pm; edited 2 times in total
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Interior Panel Behind Kitchen Reply with quote

Put a thin coat of "Thompson Water Seal" on the backside if you feel there is a water hazard there.

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
tobloyd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 8:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Interior Panel Behind Kitchen Reply with quote

For this panel, I use FRP, since it’s behind the cabinets. For the little portion that’s visible, I just made a small dummy panel to cover the FRP. FRP is great, because it’s cheap and durable, you can roll it up to get in your car for the drive home from Home Depot, you can cut it to shape with scissors, and there’s no worry about moisture.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: