Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Recently Acquired 1962 So34
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kutie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:43 pm    Post subject: Recently Acquired 1962 So34 Reply with quote

Started my own thread since a few had requested additional photos. Bought February 3rd, 2018 near Roanoke, VA. Was in the woods for 40 years without wheels nor engine on rotten tree stump blocks. Used to “get out of the rain” when hunting. Seller’s uncle Purchased from “hippies.” off the road since June ‘77. Missing: roof rack, chandelier, spare tire table base, spare tire nut, cargo door cabinet, washbowl, mirror, emka cups, front curtain, tent/awning/poles/stakes, tool kit, jack, manual, folding chair, folding chair bracket and wing nut, water jugs, & stove. my ice tray is cracked, closet and lower driver’s side cabinet have holes for speaker, has an old rear speaker wired up, curtains are shredded from sun and mice. i’ve been vacuuming and bleaching the interior. if anyone has any of these items to sell
or trade, please let me know.

When I first opened the door up, and having owned type 2s before, I thought someone had added a custom front seat as I never had a pre-68 westfalia before. Because of all the forum contributors, I have learned alot about this vehicle. I am redoing the birch at the moment.

September 8, 1961. interior is an orange plaid flipseat with white cabinet faces, picked up in Germany, m codes: 56, 139, 156, 367 including 20, 24-no backup lights, 90, 142-no sliding door, 168, 175, 181, 192, 199, plus gas heater. vin plate says so23 like Clara’s-thx Clara.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Recently Acquired 1962 So34 Reply with quote

Got any interior shots yet??
Kutie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Recently Acquired 1962 So34 Reply with quote

Malokin Martin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Recently Acquired 1962 So34 Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
Got any interior shots yet??
Kutie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Recently Acquired 1962 So34 Reply with quote

Kutie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Recently Acquired 1962 So34 Reply with quote

Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Recently Acquired 1962 So34 Reply with quote

So what is the plan for it??

Clean it up and drive it as is for now?

Start one bit at a time to restore it?

Full blown restoration?

The two cabinet doors could be repaired if you can find Formica of the same or close enough white color. Hmm, Clara and Greg have a SO-34 that the cabinets were left outside for decades. Maybe they would sell you pieces so you can get the repairs done.

DPO of our SO-34 put a hole in the ice box cabinet for a 120 volt Edison bulb socket near the top. Problem is if the bulb was in a place the jump seat passenger could get an earful of bulb when traveling. Thinking of just cleaning up the irregular round hole and insetting a piece of white translucent plastic for some LED lighting in that area.
Touch Nicks Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Recently Acquired 1962 So34 Reply with quote

Cool find! Get that sucker some metal and rock on!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Kutie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Recently Acquired 1962 So34 Reply with quote

In as much as the interior is fairly intact, I plan to keep it. I’ve spent three nice days this week, replacing the hatch, subhatch, cargo doors, bottom of the table, and front kick panels with regular birch plywood as they didn’t have baltic birch. I have the panel behind the couch seat and front door panels on Monday to do, then to the roof. My Mom has this cool vw bus fabric she bought for me last year and is going to make curtains for me. I’ll bleach under the couch seat and then replace the floor with birch plywood, too. It’s not gonna be a show bus...I’ve bleached most everything but the mice urine smelling rear passenger cabinet. I have not decided if I should scrape, bleach and paint or discard the shelves and put in new ones-they smell really bad. still don’t know how to pull the jump seat out or out to get under it. After all that, I’ll change the axle boots and tow it around until get an engine and the wiring figured out.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Recently Acquired 1962 So34 Reply with quote

To get rid of mold and nasty smells you can use bleach. Clean the heck out of the item with soap and water, let dry. Put the part/s in a large plastic bag. Take a plastic container like used for yogurt. but the larger type. Put in an inch of bleach, poke lots of holes in the lid with a metal fork. Put lid on container and slide into the plastic bag. Close up bag tightly and leave in a place for a week or so where no one will kick the container over. The bleach will evaporate and cure out the smell/mold without chemically frying the part. In worst cases it might take two or three tries.

Last edited by Eric&Barb on Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oakman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Recently Acquired 1962 So34 Reply with quote

Congrats on the Westy! As you already know, you're lucky that the cabinets are still mostly there intact.

FoxivyPurple wrote:
still don’t know how to pull the jump seat out or to get under it.

There is a small spring-loaded lever along the side of the seat (left side if you're facing seat). You have to push that down while together pulling on the handle at the front of the seat (seat slides into an outer frame that holds it to the bus). These things get gummed up and I can see how it could really be stuck in place so use care. Hope the description helps.
John Ghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Recently Acquired 1962 So34 Reply with quote

Interesting pop out placement
oakman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Recently Acquired 1962 So34 Reply with quote

John Ghia wrote:
Interesting pop out placement

Isn't it? It's a weird flipseat thing, and also notice the one behind the driver opens opposite as it normally would on any other bus with pop-out there.

In one of the brochures, they claim the one on the closet side is to air out clothes.
John Ghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Recently Acquired 1962 So34 Reply with quote

I had a 61 flipseat and it has 6 pop outs that opened “the usual way” but I’m sure you could have ordered them anyway or had the dealer install them later if it was a 2 pop out model.
vw7266
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Recently Acquired 1962 So34 Reply with quote

I like the steering lock and window washer pump placement on the fllor. Cool bus for sure
broozebrothers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Recently Acquired 1962 So34 Reply with quote

On my 61 flipseat I have 2 pop outs both on the driver side far forward next to each other , and the passenger side has all stationary glass ... Shocked
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: Recently Acquired 1962 So34 Reply with quote

you could use an early baywindow table to cut up to fix the cabinet doors.

Great find!

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: Recently Acquired 1962 So34 Reply with quote

Any updates?
srfndoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: Recently Acquired 1962 So34 Reply with quote

Great find. At least they put it on some tree stumps so it wasn't sitting on the ground. I would get it running/driving/stopping and cleaned out as best as possible. Then work on one interior item at a time. That way you can start to enjoy it while you tinker on it.
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 3:06 am    Post subject: Re: Recently Acquired 1962 So34 Reply with quote

And now it can be yours.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2533716

www.mauiroadsters.com
http://www.oacdp.org
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: