Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Westfalia Roof below luggage rack
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
spacebiscuit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:01 pm    Post subject: Westfalia Roof below luggage rack Reply with quote

In preparation for painting, I removed the rear luggage section of a westfalia front-hinging roof. As can be seen in he photos below, the area which would be directly under the luggage bars has a covering applied.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

It looks as if the intention was to protect the exposed paint work perhaps? Was this a standard feature for Westfalia lids or is this a custom addition? I'm not sure if I should sand/grind it back and re-apply or just be done with it altogether?

Thanks in advnace.
pioneer1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Westfalia Roof below luggage rack Reply with quote

pre 74? from the factory just paint and no rubber seal on the luggage rack. People do add the seal for some reason. Maybe it's old wax? not sure what the white border is

'85 Porsche 911 Targa

'76 Westfalia project
spacebiscuit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Westfalia Roof below luggage rack Reply with quote

It's a 72 bus but I'm not certain that it wasn't converted at some point in the past so may have been a tin-top originally. The white seal is a silicon type sealant that looks to have been added around the edge of the material which has been applied.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: