Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Nosecone Removal and Reseal
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
pondervwmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:59 am    Post subject: Nosecone Removal and Reseal Reply with quote

Hey everyone!
My transaxle (1966 swingaxle) is leaking at the nosecone and shift rod seal. So I pulled the tranny to work on it. I am going to pull the nosecone and was wondering how this would work out. Mainly I am concerned that something could fall out or get outta wack while Im in there. I cant seem to find a procedure to follow or anything besides a diagram.
So I have a few questions:
1: What should I look out for while R+R this nosecone?
2: Should I use the paper gasket and a sealant or install it dry?
3: For the shift rod I bought the kit with the rubber seal and 2 brass bits. Maybe this will become evident when I pull the cone but how do I change the shift rod bushing and seal?

Here are the parts I bought from ACN. I will be pulling the axles and resealing them as well.

Thanks in advance
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1997 Jeep Cherokee
2127cc build thread https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=681556&highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: Nosecone Removal and Reseal Reply with quote

Nothing scary inside nose cone... Just the three shift rods ... Just besure hockey stick is engaged properly when reassembling...

Will look something like this when you get inside...

IF sealing surface are clean and smooth and you torque nuts to proper torque paper gasket alone should seal... IF you want foolproof, very light (thin) coat of non hardening gasket sealer or possibly ultra thin bead (about size of pencil lead) of silicone gasket sealer....

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
pondervwmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Nosecone Removal and Reseal Reply with quote

Thanks Dale. So I popped it off and got the gasket out. Then I drove out the shift rod seal and brass thing. My kit includes the brass bushing the seal goes into, and another brass bushing split down the middle. So I still have a few questions:

How do you take out the inner brass bushing? Or should I even try?

The Tranny was in first. Is this the correct position for the hockey stick?

1997 Jeep Cherokee
2127cc build thread https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=681556&highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Nosecone Removal and Reseal Reply with quote

Wow looks a lot better than most.
If it ain't broke don't fix it.
also, make sure the vent hole is clear.
pondervwmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Nosecone Removal and Reseal Reply with quote

Thanks modok I am going to leave it alone. There is not much slop It was just leaking a bit. I appreciate your help.
1997 Jeep Cherokee
Casting Timmy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Nosecone Removal and Reseal Reply with quote

If the bushing that holds the seal has rounded/ rolled corners it's the cheaper style and will take a little more work to get the stick moving good. Put the bushing in and make sure the stick is moving good before putting in the seal, or at least that's what I do.

You can pull out the 1-2 rail to neutral if you want too, or put the stick back in that slot when you put the nose cone together. You want the hockey stick out of the nose cone a bit so you can slide it into the opening and then finish installing the nose cone.

That looks like the cheap gasket kit, Sabo sells a good gasket kit. The gaskets are red colored and thicker and punched out nicely, that kit will have some gaskets stick together and still need some holes punched out. I think you can still use the nose cone gasket, just takes extra work and next time get the good kit. (more document for other people)

On later transaxles if the nose cone shows pounding on the inside (yours doesn't) I like to hit the end of the shafts with a rubber mallet and see if they move in. They should be solid, but sometimes you can see them move in a 1/8" or so.

You can also shake the top right in the direction of the detent spring. It goes straight in from the side where you see the plug. If you can it wiggled side to side good the gear carrier needs bushed or replaced.

Wipe the top of the middle rail and see if it has a line on it. More of a ground scratch, that would tell you a earlier or later 1st and 2nd idlers.
mar-tay1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Nosecone Removal and Reseal Reply with quote

I'm looking to replace the bushings in my nose cone on a 67 trans and went to the local VW shop and he told me the one he has just doesn't fit proper it was mentioned the "cheaper style" and was wondering where a good, cost effective place to get the good ones would be? I see online the price varies greatly from one place to another ?????
pondervwmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Nosecone Removal and Reseal Reply with quote

I couldn't find the correct bushing and seal. I ended up buying a new nosecone that had a new seal in it.
1997 Jeep Cherokee
mar-tay1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: Nosecone Removal and Reseal Reply with quote

So I researched prices just a little and can see that Aircooled.net has acceptable prices, while Wolfsburg west is pretty expensive.Now I would assume, Aircooled .net is a Chinese quality, and WW is a better quality, but things are so mixed up these days it's hard for one to tell,and I certainly don't want to pull the trans back out to fix a shift seal leak. I'm putting a 67 box in a 64,the 64 nosecone is nice and tight while the 67 is sloppy. So I was going to put the 64 on the 67 but I thought having back up lights would be nice. I have two other cars I can rip the transaxles out of for a possible swap there, which might now be my plan for the weekend,I don't know.....
pondervwmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: Nosecone Removal and Reseal Reply with quote

I am not sure if anyone makes the right style for a 66/67 nosecone. I bought the seal at Aircool.net as he has high quality parts but it didn't fit. I went round and round and just couldnt find one that fit right. If you could post a picture of the seal you need I could tell you if its the same. Like I said I ended up buying a whole new nosecone for about $30 from Dune Buggy Wharehouse. It fit and didnt leak. Also it has the reverse light switch bung.
1997 Jeep Cherokee
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Nosecone Removal and Reseal Reply with quote

I bought a cheap kit for 7$, just ended up using the seal.
Made the bushings myself. Ones in the kit didn't fit Laughing
mar-tay1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Nosecone Removal and Reseal Reply with quote

I'm trying to unravel the mystery here. Bought part number 113-398-209 from Steve at Wolfgangs here in Redding CA. He told me it wouldn't fit, he was right. Their online catalog says fits bus 68-79, and that may be,but it would be odd to have a 113 number, as bus would be 211. So it may actually be 68-79 beetle. I started to take apart the 67 nosecone, the one I would prefer to use, and found a different style bushing in there. The outer piece is just a cup to hold the seal, the actual bushing is further in, and just a bushing. The seal and inside diameter of the bushings in the kit I bought, are correct, I would just need a spacer for it to work. I have another 67 trans I'll check to see if it's tighter,and maybe use it for now. But I do have four of these cars and would like to find an acceptable bushing or repair method for the future.
Where was it you found the new nosecone for $30 may I ask?
Vanillagurilla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Nosecone Removal and Reseal Reply with quote

mar-tay1 wrote:
I'm trying to unravel the mystery here. Bought part number 113-398-209 from Steve at Wolfgangs here in Redding CA. He told me it wouldn't fit, he was right. Their online catalog says fits bus 68-79, and that may be,but it would be odd to have a 113 number, as bus would be 211. So it may actually be 68-79 beetle. I started to take apart the 67 nosecone, the one I would prefer to use, and found a different style bushing in there. The outer piece is just a cup to hold the seal, the actual bushing is further in, and just a bushing. The seal and inside diameter of the bushings in the kit I bought, are correct, I would just need a spacer for it to work. I have another 67 trans I'll check to see if it's tighter,and maybe use it for now. But I do have four of these cars and would like to find an acceptable bushing or repair method for the future.
Where was it you found the new nosecone for $30 may I ask?

He said dune buggy warehouse, I believe car craft has them fsirly cheap as well.
Yep $30
https://02dea01.netsolstores.com/type1nosecone.aspx
mar-tay1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: Nosecone Removal and Reseal Reply with quote

So after I ordered the new nose cone I searched around some more and found the correct bushing on E-bay at a vw e-bay store. Listed as new item number 001-301-209c 67-68 bug bushing/seal holder $10 free shipping. I tried to order direct from the store, but it channeled everything through e-bay, not sure WTF that's all about. I can't find the store name and didn't get a paper receipt with my order, just comes up e-bay. It said the store was in Covina Ca.?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: