Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

(Bay pop top) Double door sunroof !
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
veskovici
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: (Bay pop top) Double door sunroof ! Reply with quote

coming on!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: (Bay pop top) Double door sunroof ! Reply with quote

Come on man. Dont be like that. Show us the goods! Laughing

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: (Bay pop top) Double door sunroof ! Reply with quote

veskovici wrote:
brettsvw wrote:
Nice project deserving of your attention.

There are three big opening at the center of the vehicle.
Structurally it would be a good idea to replace the bellypans.

Off course, I have already ordered ones, only I dont like to weld them to rockers so i am thinking how to solve this other way

We had to solve a similar problem after adding a fourth door to a double cab. My welder's solution is X-braces of square tubing:

1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: (Bay pop top) Double door sunroof ! Reply with quote

John do you have a build thread for that Quad door double cab?

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:03 am    Post subject: Re: (Bay pop top) Double door sunroof ! Reply with quote

That bus is so cool! nice work you are doing!
I do have to ask, because the m plate would be so cool to see, why do you think it was removed? where did you look? I know (I thought I knew) that early ones were on the bulkhead behind the seat, and late ones were on the air ducts up behind the fuse box. Just making sure you have not overlooked it. Also, I believe you can send the vin to VW and get the birth certificate for what was original to your bus.
Collie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:31 am    Post subject: Re: (Bay pop top) Double door sunroof ! Reply with quote

DD. Sunroof. Automatic.

This guy has my dream bus.....
OrangeZA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:33 am    Post subject: Re: (Bay pop top) Double door sunroof ! Reply with quote

Hmmm…

No M-plate, 1974 VIN but 1973 body details (sliding door handle recess, fuel cap flap), Kombi VIN but fitted with so many options it’s practically a deluxe Microbus (sunroof, ventilation windows in the cab doors, padded dash, trip meter, clock, trim around the seat back panels, ventilation ducting to the passenger area, heater outlets in the rear cargo floor, etc, etc, etc)??

Top engine hatch only came on Type 4 engined models, which would be more evidence to suggest it would have originally left the factory with automatic transmisson.
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: (Bay pop top) Double door sunroof ! Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:
John do you have a build thread for that Quad door double cab?

Not yet, but I do plan to make one.
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: (Bay pop top) Double door sunroof ! Reply with quote

is the 74 vin stamped into the bus body, or part of the upright motor tin that could have come from another bus?
Things sure get weird over yonder with uprights, padded dash, ect that we did not see in the USA. (in the years that we saw them)
veskovici
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: (Bay pop top) Double door sunroof ! Reply with quote

I know what you are saying but all this questions I asked my self.
Facts about this kombi are: vin is original to the body. place where it is stamped (upright engine tin) is not added or amended or altered in any way, there was no signs of hacking anywhere near engine bay area. I thoroughly examined if vin number is changed or any way altered or not original to the body and I am 100% sure it is original to the body.
Entire kombi was silverfish and resprayed with come kind of dark blue .I am talking inner sides of side panels , engine area, under the dash, behind fuel tank, inner roof, chassis . There was no original tube for clutch cable so I had to make one, ashtray shows automatic transmission shifting.
I didnt ordered birth certificate yet but very soon .
All upholstery originally was black vinyl.

You all can see pictures as found at beginning of this topic. Old guy was using it for driving bee hives around a country. I asked and searched for Mplate but no successes

BN4 installed and working Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
OrangeZA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: (Bay pop top) Double door sunroof ! Reply with quote

You have a beautiful bus veskovici and I really admire your efforts to bring it back to its former glory.

There is certainly something mysterious about it though! I wonder who would buy such a fancy, high spec bus when it was new?

Your BN4 is another odd 1973 model year detail on your bus. From the start of the 1974 model year, LHD models were fitted with the BA6 model instead, I guess a BN4 could have been retrofitted at some point. What does your front bumper deformation element’s side seams look like? Do they look like the T2s in the photo below, a lap joint spot welded together or do they look more like a flange similar to the one just above the deformation element? A 1973 model year T2 would have flanges at the sides.

Photo from Das Bundesarchiv.
veskovici
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: (Bay pop top) Double door sunroof ! Reply with quote

Does this paint prep pic helps?

OrangeZA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:13 am    Post subject: Re: (Bay pop top) Double door sunroof ! Reply with quote

Well it’s flat at the sides of the bumper deformation element so it doesn’t look like a ’73 model here.

The fuel filler flap really puzzles me though. Did it look as though it had seen any work around the fuel filler area? In the photo below, again from Das Bundesarchiv, you can see some very early 1974 models making their way along the production line, this photo was taken on the 23rd of August 1973.

I think 1974 also saw the return of the pin by the window to lock and unlock the doors from the inside, whereas ’73 models had the little locking lever above the door opening lever.
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: (Bay pop top) Double door sunroof ! Reply with quote

OrangeZA wrote:

Your BN4 is another odd 1973 model year detail on your bus. From the start of the 1974 model year, LHD models were fitted with the BA6 model instead, I guess a BN4 could have been retrofitted at some point.

OrangeZA Where did you get your information on this? In the States, 74 is the last year of factory fitted BN4's as far as I know. And even then Im sure it was probably an M code to order one like that on later buses.

This is in a very clean, very original 1974 hard top Westfalia.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
veskovici
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: (Bay pop top) Double door sunroof ! Reply with quote

One more thing. I noticed hat factory wholes for the Volkswagen logo on the rear hatch are not matching to the original sign and not matching to the one (smaller) which is there now. I found original automatic logo and they are perfect fit. But i didnt put automatic logo as my bus is not automatic at the moment.
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: (Bay pop top) Double door sunroof ! Reply with quote

veskovici wrote:
One more thing. I noticed hat factory wholes for the Volkswagen logo on the rear hatch are not matching to the original sign and not matching to the one (smaller) which is there now. I found original automatic logo and they are perfect fit. But i didnt put automatic logo as my bus is not automatic at the moment.

And if the Automatic Badge has tabs - then its also an early one. Later ones are sticky peel tape like my 74 Westfalia.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
OrangeZA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: (Bay pop top) Double door sunroof ! Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:
OrangeZA Where did you get your information on this? In the States, 74 is the last year of factory fitted BN4's as far as I know. And even then Im sure it was probably an M code to order one like that on later buses.

Vincent Molenaar and Alexander Prinz’s Specification book.

I quote from the Specification Detail Changes chapter for the 1974 model year:

VW Transporter and Microbus Specification Guide 1967-1979, Vincent Molenaar and Alexander Prinz wrote:
Heater: optional gas heater changed: Ebersächer type BN4 (placed in engine compartment) replaced by type BA6 (placed under cargo floor in standard heating system). RHD vehicles with gas heater still get BN4 type however.

If you check the http://www.jerseylooker.com microfiche copies, you can see the BN4 was used up until VIN 213 2300 000 for LHD (end of the ’73 model year)

The BA6 starts from VIN 214 2000 001 for LHD (start of the 1974 model year)

Jason, your 1974 automatic, does it have the same gear shift illustration on the ashtray as veskovici’s? The Molenaar/Prinz book says the selector handle changed for the ’74 model year so that it had a push button on the side, I imagine just like my parents’ automatic ’78, I recall the illustration on the ashtray of the ’78 automatic looked very different to the one on veskovici’s T2.
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: (Bay pop top) Double door sunroof ! Reply with quote

OrangeZA perfect, just the info I was hunting! Thanks for Phishin that out Laughing

Here is my 74's ash tray.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
OrangeZA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:22 am    Post subject: Re: (Bay pop top) Double door sunroof ! Reply with quote

Thanks for posting the photo of your ’74’s ashtray Jason, the illustration matches my parent’s ’78 so must be for the later push button selector lever (also shown in your photo)

Veskovici’s ashtray shows the earlier style illustration, admittedly the ashtray and likewise the early style sliding doors, may not be original...

and here is a photo of the original selector handle, without the side mounted push button, from the 1973 sales brochure:

In the ’74 brochure, dated August 1973, the photo of the selector above has been doctored to include a push button.

Jason, is your 1974’s VIN earlier or later than veskovici’s, 234 2108 789 <- which is almost half way through the 1974 production run.

Veskovici, if only your bus could talk, I think it would have a very interesting story to tell!
veskovici
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:24 am    Post subject: Re: (Bay pop top) Double door sunroof ! Reply with quote

From what I know from PO it was originally ordered for hotel guests sightseeing tours in Split, Dalmatia-Croatia back then part of former Yugoslavia.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: