Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Dropped Distributor spring
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
RossM96
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:41 pm    Post subject: Dropped Distributor spring Reply with quote

Hi everyone, I dropped the distributor so we spring in the hole on the sidewall of the distributor drive shaft cylinder. I don’t believe it went straight down. Is there any way to possibly find the spring without disassembling the engine? Also where does the side hole go and is a loose spring an actual issue?

Thanks!
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Dropped Distributor spring Reply with quote

Quote:
1972 Baywindow
2000cc

Type 4?

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RossM96
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Dropped Distributor spring Reply with quote

Yes TYpe 4, sorry.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Dropped Distributor spring Reply with quote

Best not to leave it in there, the cam gear well is somewhat enclosed and may direct it into the gear. Time to go fishing with a magnet on a bendy stick, you may also reach it via the taco plate.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
RossM96
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Dropped Distributor spring Reply with quote

A magnet and wire have been what I’ve been trying,no luck so far but I’ll keep trying. What is the taco plate?
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Dropped Distributor spring Reply with quote

~3" diameter disc on the bottom of the sump at the right rear, it's attached with 2 10mm headed bolts.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
RossM96
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Dropped Distributor spring Reply with quote

I Was looking at that. I’ll give it a try!
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Dropped Distributor spring Reply with quote

Drain the oil first Wink

Слава Україні!
RossM96
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Dropped Distributor spring Reply with quote

No luck in the taco plate. I’m going to keep trying.
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Dropped Distributor spring Reply with quote

Don't over torque the bolt installing the taco plate.
Only 9 ft-lb.
Or you'll be buying a new engine block.

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Dropped Distributor spring Reply with quote

That applies to the strainer plate that's in the middle and further forward. The M6 bolts on the taco are 5' lb (60" lb).

Here's an idea of where you are exploring in case your X-ray vision is failing Razz

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Слава Україні!
RossM96
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Dropped Distributor spring Reply with quote

Thanks for the specs, the bolts are back in now. No spring found.
RossM96
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:10 am    Post subject: Re: Dropped Distributor spring Reply with quote

After about 8 hours of fishing through the hole, the taco plate, around the strainer, and the case relief plate (plug next to the oil filter, a bit bigger than a quarter), I still don’t have that spring. Is it possible to remove the oil pump without dropping the motor?

This spring is little and nothing like losing a washer in the case, is it certain death to my motor if it isn’t found/removed? I want to do it right, especially if it’s absolutely critical but the labor alone of splitting/rebuilding my case will be huge.

I’m being loaned some sort of borescope this week, maybe I’ll get lucky. I’ll be trying a smaller magnetic stick too.
RossM96
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:20 am    Post subject: Re: Dropped Distributor spring Reply with quote

Also for what it’s worth, this morning before round 2 of fishing I rotated the engine by hand one pulley revolution in each direction several times hoping to get the spring to fall off the cam gear and onto the sump plate if it were resting on the gear. No good there either, and no binding or indication of the spring being on the gear.

Are there resting places for the spring to be below the gears but above the sump?
curtp07
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:01 am    Post subject: Re: Dropped Distributor spring Reply with quote

Oh man! This has always been a fear of mine...hope you get it!
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: Dropped Distributor spring Reply with quote

time for a video camera with a small camera head.
tommu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Dropped Distributor spring Reply with quote

Something like this might work:
https://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-Industrial-Scientific-Endoscopes/zgbs/industrial/8297406011

There will be some useful pictures on this here forum, like this:

Do you have a compressor? If all else fails you could try blowing some air in there to move the spring. It's light and everything around the gears and case is so goopy it can hang out anywhere in the vicinity. you could always wash some oil down there in the hope it'll take the spring with it to the sump.

If the spring has reached the sump I'd expect it to get washed to the oil strainer. You could try filling that with oil too to see if it washes down?

You can, in theory, remove the pump without splitting the case. It might not want to move so be careful not to break an ear off it with a pry bar!

Good luck.

(Edit: better photo of Mr Kent's fine engine)
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Dropped Distributor spring Reply with quote

I haven't had the distributor out in awhile but I don't recall a relief where the spring can fall in, as long as the gear is in. Did this happen when the gear was out? Is it possible it went somewhere else?

SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Dropped Distributor spring Reply with quote

tommu wrote:
Something like this might work:
https://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-Industrial-Scientific-Endoscopes/zgbs/industrial/8297406011

There will be some useful pictures on this here forum, like this:

Do you have a compressor? If all else fails you could try blowing some air in there to move the spring. It's light and everything around the gears and case is so goopy it can hang out anywhere in the vicinity. you could always wash some oil down there in the hope it'll take the spring with it to the sump.

If the spring has reached the sump I'd expect it to get washed to the oil strainer. You could try filling that with oil too to see if it washes down?

You can, in theory, remove the pump without splitting the case. It might not want to move so be careful not to break an ear off it with a pry bar!

Good luck.

(Edit: better photo of Mr Kent's fine engine)

off Internet:

RossM96
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Dropped Distributor spring Reply with quote

Tommu, an air compressor and passing oil through are other things I tried, but no luck! Nice to know someone else is thinking of the same ideas though, thanks for offering advice! I’ll probably try again next weekend when I’m back with my bus, it’s all I can do until I give in and split the case.

SGKent, the hole would be in the 12 o’clock position on your distributor hole photo. The gear was in when I lost the spring. I was having trouble getting the distributor shaft to mate up with the drive gear so I used a magnet to lift the driveshaft and spring out of the motor to make sure it even fit my new distributor. I then put the shaft back in the hole, then was putting the spring back onto the driveshaft but it kept falling sideways. When I was trying to reorient it the spring went into the hole on the sidewall, about the size of a dime with its lower edge about flush with the top of the distributor drive shaft.
Thanks for your help!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: