Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

412 parts catalogue available?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> 411/412 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lars S
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:54 am    Post subject: 412 parts catalogue available? Reply with quote

I have never seen a 412 parts catalogue (with part numbers) in print or online. Guess they were microfishes at that time but has anyone got a digital or printed copy?

Lars S
Suzuki T500, -69, Candy Gold, sold Sad
Suzuki K50, -77, Black, daily driver
BMW R69S -69, White, sold Sad
Husqvarna 118cc, -47, Black, Sold Sad
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:47 am    Post subject: Re: 412 parts catalogue available? Reply with quote

Yes.....I have one. It was given to me on disc by a Shoptalkforums member back in 2004.

His brother in England.....bless his soul for doing this.....had access to one of the hard copies.....and photographed every page Shocked

So.... bearing in mind that these were pretty well taken photos.....of a printed copy book.....back when a 4 megapixel camera was the "rocket sled" of the day......it means that you can only really get useful detail in the diagrams to about 125% to 130% magnification........but I am extremely grateful to have them.

I can do this one of two ways.....or both.....either have Everrett post them in the technical or I can post them in my photo bucket or drop box.

Bear in mind it is not the last year of catalog. It has from 1968 to early 412 but not 1974 412.

Ray

The other issue i have seen over the years......that prevents me and others from getting these publications out.....I think is greed.
Twice....I have held a 411/412 parts book in my hand....twice I have offered to drive over to Kinkos and do a high grade copy of it....give the owner of said book a copy....and let them hold my credit card for ransom or come with me......and I offered to pay them $100.

So with the cost of self service copies....both times I figured it was worth about $200 to me.

Neither of these people owned type 4s.....or have ever owned type 4s...or even liked type 4s.....but knew they were not common.....and were parts dealers. They wanted $500- $700 for the book.

Bet they still have it too......and they vould have had a spare or digital copy to sell...would have made $100 on the wpot....and would still have the original book.

Greed.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lars S
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: 412 parts catalogue available? Reply with quote

Thanks Ray!

Sharing what you have would be nice since the only parts catalogue available on the net is from August -71 and there are some important part changes done after that.
The files must be pretty heavy if it is in image format or have you turned ito a .pdf?

//Lars S
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: 412 parts catalogue available? Reply with quote

Lars S wrote:
Thanks Ray!

Sharing what you have would be nice since the only parts catalogue available on the net is from August -71 and there are some important part changes done after that.
The files must be pretty heavy if it is in image format or have you turned ito a .pdf?

//Lars S

I have not turned it to PDF. I can try that out but realize that it will mean a generation of loss in detail.

The file size is not that huge.....it fits on a single 700mb disc.

In fact...just checked....its about 115 megabytes. It is 9 main sections and two short ones with N and L part #s.
I could break it into its component sections for download.

In this one file....partly due to the way it was put on the original disk and requiring an "exif viewer"....remembering this was back in the early years of digital cameras......there are several sections that were duplicated.

I have not deleted those sections yet because I have bern meaning to go through them and make absolutely sure that they are duplicates by the book series number on the bottom of the page......but I remember speaking with the person who sent this to me.....that at some point they changed camera settings and started over.

So.....in actuality this could be about 50-70 megabytes total.

I also just tried with my set up and it does not give me the option to convert to PDF. I can probably do so with the snipping tool in my computer. I will see.

Also....the date on this copy is August 1972.....so while it gets into the 412....it is still missing some items from 1973 and 1974.
Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MontrealAircooledNut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:10 am    Post subject: Re: 412 parts catalogue available? Reply with quote

For those of you who speak german. Online parts list for Type 4, dated august 1971.

https://www.volkswagen-classic-parts.de/catalogues/Typ4/index-sd.html#/1
Squareback 1973
412 wagon 1974
937carrera
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 412 parts catalogue available? Reply with quote

That's a useful link for expanding my knowledge of technical German.

There's also the electronic parts catalogue (ETKA 7) that was kicking around a few years ago. That included the type 4 up to the end of production, but with part numbers missing where they were no longer available, in English
vwrenault
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 412 parts catalogue available? Reply with quote

I have 2 micro fish from 1994 t4 genuine vw there ruff l would like to copy them how do it?
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 412 parts catalogue available? Reply with quote

You need a REALLY high resolution scanner (6-7K ppi) to read it. Use the transparency cover and expect a lot of scratches, so a fluid bed may be needed.

I tried it once on my older scanner, but it didn't have the resolution. I haven't tried it with my new photo/film scanner yet. If I can find my fiche fast I may try it in the next couple of days.

UPDATE:

Here is a test scan of a page from my Type 3 fiche. I scanned it at about 6K resolution. I tweaked the contrast and sharpness.

(Click to open the image in a new window, and maybe again to zoom in)

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

These are readable, but still a little sloppy. I didn't clean the fiche first. Higher resolution does not improve the sharpness, so anything more than 4-6K is wasted. I expect I can get better focus by playing with the film holder by trial and error.

This is workable but very slow work. It would take days to do a whole fiche.

So I'm not ready to declare victory yet, but this should give you an idea what resolution you need to get it to work at all.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 412 parts catalogue available? Reply with quote

Parts book for sale in the Classifieds now:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2164880

It could be scanned into PDF format by a generous buyer...
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 412 parts catalogue available? Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
Parts book for sale in the Classifieds now:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2164880

It could be scanned into PDF format by a generous buyer...

Damn....if I had the cash to spare right now....I would buy it.

To whomever does....PDF format is NOT what you want. PDFs while not huge....take a lot of ram to open and have low detail for blowing them up.

That parts book is 629 pages with 10 sections. Really you want them in j-pegs. You can do it two ways.

Scan or photograph them at a high rate to get qll of the detail tjere is....which is not great.....and then convert to medium sized j pegs....broken into the 10 sections to make it more portable so that they can be blown up to best detail.

Or....take just decent J-pegs.....at full page size on say a 17" screen size minimum.....and convert to small file size.....but vidwing full size, full detail j-pegs with the snipping tool.

This means that each full page size j-peg will only be about 65-75 kb. The whole file can be under 50mb. Thats half the size or less of a pdf catalog.

The drawback of that is that the original scans must be clear.....because witj "snipping tool" j-pegs....though they will open up to real world page size....and be as clear as a real world page.....you can only expand them about 25% before you lose detail.

I have the August 1972 catalog.....given to me graciously by I believe Nick Sparrow from England in 2005. I fault him not at all. It was a huge undertaking. They photographed each page.....so each page is a 142kb 816 x 1166 j-peg.....and its with 2003-2005 technology on a disc.

I can only do so much with it.....but I guess I need to start .....and have been neglecting t9 do so for a while.

So...let me pick a couple of example pages....and post them....and see how they turn out. Please give me feedback!
Ray
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 412 parts catalogue available? Reply with quote

Ok....here are four random pages from my eigital/j-peg copy. They were all four brought up to full page/frame on my 17" laptop....then cleaned up....contrast, fill light, shadow, midrsnge snd highlight.
The first two are at one exact set of settings...and the second two are at ajother same setting.

Then tbey were saved via snipping tool at full visual size. So instead of 300kb average and 1166 x 816....they are about 140kb and about 961 x 674 each....but much brighter.

These are at one setting.

These are at another setting.

If these work well....I can make the book available to Samba and for e-mail by sections. Ray
Lars S
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 412 parts catalogue available? Reply with quote

Oh Ray thanks, you are the man!
Would be nice to have this...it will help us with our type 4s.

Lars S
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 412 parts catalogue available? Reply with quote

Lars S wrote:
Oh Ray thanks, you are the man!
Would be nice to have this...it will help us with our type 4s.

Lars S

I will get it,started.

I REALLY need to find a later parts book. This really only covers to earliest 412.....all D-jet....and nothing L-jet...and really there are items past December of 1972 that are important changes. Ray
Lars S
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 412 parts catalogue available? Reply with quote

Agree Ray, if you make it should defintively be out of a later book.

Lars S
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 412 parts catalogue available? Reply with quote

Here is another ad, but it doesn't say what the publishing date was. I have asked.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2306459
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 412 parts catalogue available? Reply with quote

Quick answer... he says it's dated August 1972.
Late enough?
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 412 parts catalogue available? Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
Quick answer... he says it's dated August 1972.
Late enough?

Same as mine. It does not have the last of the 412....1974/75. Ray
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 412 parts catalogue available? Reply with quote

Ok, thanks, I'll pass it along.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: 412 parts catalogue available? Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
Ok, thanks, I'll pass it along.

Wait....is that FROM August of 1972...or TO August of 1972?

Ray
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 412 parts catalogue available? Reply with quote

I'm not sure, but I think it was dated August 1972
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> 411/412 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: