Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Distributor 113905205AD / Pierburg Fuel Pump reurbish
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
itskyle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Distributor 113905205AD / Pierburg Fuel Pump reurbish Reply with quote

It's a very beautiful ride. Count me among the jealous.

Consider also frequenting vwar.org. Plenty of autostick info to be had there as well.

Kyle
74 SuperBeetle Auto Stick (I miss that car)
73 SquareBack, Straight Stick (Wife misses this one.)
markj60616
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: Distributor 113905205AD / Pierburg Fuel Pump reurbish Reply with quote

Here are two scans of information from the VW workshop manuals that agree with what was mentioned throughout this post regarding the 113905205AD distributor. If you recall, the issue discussed here was that the timing info for this distributor is listed incorrectly in several places. Here is the correct info in case anyone uses this thread in the future to research the same issue.

from the VW Workshop Manual:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

from the VW Workshop Manual Service Bulletins:

original engine

1978 Type 2 Panel Bus
original engine 2.0L FI

2014 Beetle 2.5L
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: Distributor 113905205AD / Pierburg Fuel Pump reurbish Reply with quote

I'm not sure how I haven't seen this thread before. Your stock, very original engine makes my purest heart go all pitter patter! Laughing I love seeing folks return all the original, restored parts back on their engines. As you've found, you were rewarded with a wonderfully running engine as well.

Robbie pointed out that you're now a proud member of the purist, completely stock and original engine club! What's nice is the membership continues to grow as people reinstall the original restored Solex carbs, Pierburg fuel pumps and Bosch distributors.

Nice job!

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**

Last edited by wcfvw69 on Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:48 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Distributor 113905205AD / Pierburg Fuel Pump reurbish Reply with quote

What do you think of the compufire so far?
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
markj60616
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Distributor 113905205AD / Pierburg Fuel Pump reurbish Reply with quote

kawfee wrote:
What do you think of the compufire so far?

I haven't had any issues with it. The 009 with compufire that the previous owner installed was on the engine for 10 years and about 10,000 miles all trouble-free. That set-up is in the trunk as a spare.
original engine

1978 Type 2 Panel Bus
original engine 2.0L FI

2014 Beetle 2.5L
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
markj60616
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:40 am    Post subject: Re: Distributor 113905205AD / Pierburg Fuel Pump reurbish Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:

Your stock, very original engine makes my purest heart go all pitter patter! Laughing I love seeing folks return all the original, restored parts back on their engines. As you've found, you were rewarded with a wonderfully running engine as well.

Robbie pointed out that you're now a proud member of the purist, completely stock and original engine club! What's nice is the membership continues to grow as people reinstall the original restored Solex carbs, Pierburg fuel pumps and Bosch distributors.

Nice job!

Thanks! I have respected your input on many Samba threads!
original engine

1978 Type 2 Panel Bus
original engine 2.0L FI

2014 Beetle 2.5L
tasb
The Distributor Distributor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Distributor 113905205AD / Pierburg Fuel Pump reurbish Reply with quote

...and in that vane of thought I do have several 113 905 205 AD cores for those considering going the same route as the OP. Those particular distributors are fairly rare. They were made early enough that the build quality is still pretty good.

1965 hardtop Deluxe Microbus owned since 1990 M 620 factory 12 v 1500cc

1961 (October)Single Cab- Road Trip Workhorse
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oc92
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Distributor 113905205AD / Pierburg Fuel Pump reurbish Reply with quote

If you haven't already thought of this... when you carry a spare distributor, remove it from the motor already timed and with the clamp attached so you can swap it more readily.

72 bus
70 bug
96 mx5
markj60616
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Distributor 113905205AD / Pierburg Fuel Pump reurbish Reply with quote

I'm the original poster and I thought it was time for an update! About 7 months and 1,500 miles later the car is running perfectly. In warm weather or cold weather it has trouble-free acceleration and idles fine.

According to the German birth certificate, the car's "birthday" is today, January 18th. My Baby is 48 years old.

Here is the current state of the engine bay:

original engine

1978 Type 2 Panel Bus
original engine 2.0L FI

2014 Beetle 2.5L
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Distributor 113905205AD / Pierburg Fuel Pump reurbish Reply with quote

Engine looks so stock. My OCD has to point out how out of place those hose clamps look on the fuel pump. Here's what they had when new. You can buy those styles of crimp clamps at Napa. Wink

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
markj60616
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:44 am    Post subject: Re: Distributor 113905205AD / Pierburg Fuel Pump reurbish Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
Engine looks so stock. My OCD has to point out how out of place those hose clamps look on the fuel pump. Here's what they had when new. You can buy those styles of crimp clamps at Napa. Wink

Thanks Bill! I will switch those out during my next valve adjustment/oil change!
original engine

1978 Type 2 Panel Bus
original engine 2.0L FI

2014 Beetle 2.5L
markj60616
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Distributor 113905205AD / Pierburg Fuel Pump reurbish Reply with quote

Worm/Roller clamps removed.
Crimp clamps installed.

original engine

1978 Type 2 Panel Bus
original engine 2.0L FI

2014 Beetle 2.5L
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Distributor 113905205AD / Pierburg Fuel Pump reurbish Reply with quote

Looks nice!

...and long after the fact, the first post in this thread quoted many of the images and documents I've drawn up over the years, in regard to carburetors and distributors, so glad to be of help in that regard.

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Distributor 113905205AD / Pierburg Fuel Pump reurbish Reply with quote

markj60616 wrote:
Worm/Roller clamps removed.
Crimp clamps installed.

Much better! Wink

Also, looking at the fuel pump, I'm not sure if it's the picture but is the "C" clip that snaps into the groove missing on the rocker pin? Think

Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: Distributor 113905205AD / Pierburg Fuel Pump reurbish Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
Also, looking at the fuel pump, I'm not sure if it's the picture but is the "C" clip that snaps into the groove missing on the rocker pin? Think

Looks missing to me too.

Bill - a guy in Flagstaff is trying to sell some distributors, don't know if they're German-made though https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=694904
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
markj60616
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: Distributor 113905205AD / Pierburg Fuel Pump reurbish Reply with quote

Also, looking at the fuel pump, I'm not sure if it's the picture but is the "C" clip that snaps into the groove missing on the rocker pin? Think[/quote]

The clip is there...just hard to see in the sort of blurry photo:

original engine

1978 Type 2 Panel Bus
original engine 2.0L FI

2014 Beetle 2.5L
markj60616
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: Distributor 113905205AD / Pierburg Fuel Pump reurbish Reply with quote

glutamodo wrote:
Looks nice!

...and long after the fact, the first post in this thread quoted many of the images and documents I've drawn up over the years, in regard to carburetors and distributors, so glad to be of help in that regard.

I thank you kindly, Andy, and I hope I did your research justice!
original engine

1978 Type 2 Panel Bus
original engine 2.0L FI

2014 Beetle 2.5L
AlmostHeavenWV_VW Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: Original distributor 113-905-205AD re-install Reply with quote

I might be misunderstanding theses specs, but I think your total advance may be too advanced now?
markj60616 wrote:
... I timed the car at 0TDC with both vacuum hoses connected. The centrifugal advance now takes it to just about 32 at 3800rpms with both hoses disconnected and plugged. With the vacuum advance hose connected, the advance goes out to 41...
I've been listening for pinging and as of yet I haven't heard anything unusual.

No audible pinging or knocking is good, but there can still be "silent" detonation possible.

I was under the impression that the max total timing these engines should run is around 28-32 deg BTDC (depending on your engine/octane/etc)
ashman40 wrote:
You should NOT time the distributor the same (TDC @idle) when disconnecting the vacuum retard.

You can check (not change) the mechanical advance, making sure it does NOT exceed 32BTDC with both hoses disconnected and plugged. There is no need to increase the total timing , just make sure it does NOT exceed the max safe limit (32BTDC). If you are getting the specified range of mechanical advance you are fine.

Bosch DVDA 205AJ Distributor
baldessariclan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: Original distributor 113-905-205AD re-install Reply with quote

AlmostHeavenWV_VW wrote:
I might be misunderstanding theses specs, but I think your total advance may be too advanced now?
markj60616 wrote:
... I timed the car at 0TDC with both vacuum hoses connected. The centrifugal advance now takes it to just about 32 at 3800rpms with both hoses disconnected and plugged. With the vacuum advance hose connected, the advance goes out to 41...
I've been listening for pinging and as of yet I haven't heard anything unusual.

No audible pinging or knocking is good, but there can still be "silent" detonation possible.

I was under the impression that the max total timing these engines should run is around 28-32 deg BTDC (depending on your engine/octane/etc)
ashman40 wrote:
You should NOT time the distributor the same (TDC @idle) when disconnecting the vacuum retard.

You can check (not change) the mechanical advance, making sure it does NOT exceed 32BTDC with both hoses disconnected and plugged. There is no need to increase the total timing , just make sure it does NOT exceed the max safe limit (32BTDC). If you are getting the specified range of mechanical advance you are fine.

Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong about this, but pretty sure the combined centrifugal plus vacuum advance can safely exceed 32 deg BTDC under partial / low engine loading conditions (e.g. highway "cruise", engine-braking down hills, etc.).

The partially (or mostly) closed throttle during those conditions leads to an effectively leaner mixture that takes longer for flame-front to burn through, so you need that extra advance to compensate / completely burn the lean fuel mixture.

When you "load up" the engine (press accelerator / give it more gas), the vacuum advance should fall off, and centrifugal advance becomes the main / only effect at that point (the richer mixture burns faster, so less total advance needed).

In any case, think you should check that the centrifugal advance alone (vacuum disconnected) doesn't exceed 32 deg BTDC max at high engine RPM. Then when vacuum all reconnected, listen for any detonation when driving / accelerating -- if no obvious pinging under heavy engine load, and/or overheating problems, you're probably ok.
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: Distributor 113905205AD / Pierburg Fuel Pump reurbish Reply with quote

bald cessarian Very Happy is correct, combined vacuum/ mechanical advance should be up around 40-42 or so all -in (throttle maxed out.) Mechanical (centrifugal) advance alone should be in the 30-32 range all-in. Mark's timing is spot on- 0 TDC at idle both hoses connected for an autostick DVDA distributor, max centrifugal advance 32 BTDC @ 3800 RPMs, max combined advance 41 BTDC @ 3800 RPMs.

BTW I misspelled your name on purpose cause that's how I read it when I first saw it, couldn't help myself

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: